Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2024, 03:36 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2024 27' Globetrotter
Charlotte , North Carolina
Propane gas supply line

I picked up new 27FB GT last week. Due to user error, I need to replace or repair the 1/2” LP gas line which connects the LP tanks to the trailer itself - a 5.5’ length. Apparently this hose is not in AS inventory and no update on when it will be available. Where do I find a replacement line or have one fabricated?

Alternatively, I suppose the existing hose could be connected back together but I destroyed 4-5 inches of it.

We are currently on our shakedown cruise and the lack of propane just means no hot showers and no cooking with gas, so no big deal in the short term, but I do want to fix it. What I did to destroy the hose is a whole ‘nother story best left untold. Thanks in advance for your guidance and help.
CUTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 03:55 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Lewisville , Texas
Temporary Fix

For a temporary fix, I suppose you could get a BBQ extension hose at a hardware store an purchase the appropriate adapters for the ends to attach to the fittings on the Airstream.

Also Amazon has several hoses like this, as well as dozens of the adapters to configure the trailer end to whatever you need.

For a more permanent fix, high end automotive parts or repair shops will know of a local hose fabricator that should be able to custom fabricate anything you want. For example, Hydraulic, Air, fuel, Lp and so on.

One that comes to mind is "Mr. Hose", hopefully, some of this will give you some ideas to move forward.

Best of luck
NO NOIZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 04:20 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
RE: Propane gas supply line

Greetings CUTiger! Welcome to the Forums and the world of Airstreaming!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUTiger View Post
I picked up new 27FB GT last week. Due to user error, I need to replace or repair the 1/2” LP gas line which connects the LP tanks to the trailer itself - a 5.5’ length. Apparently this hose is not in AS inventory and no update on when it will be available. Where do I find a replacement line or have one fabricated?

Alternatively, I suppose the existing hose could be connected back together but I destroyed 4-5 inches of it.

We are currently on our shakedown cruise and the lack of propane just means no hot showers and no cooking with gas, so no big deal in the short term, but I do want to fix it. What I did to destroy the hose is a whole ‘nother story best left untold. Thanks in advance for your guidance and help.
When you mention that you are on your shakedown cruise, if you are in the typical campground, you might ask the host for a local referral for LP Gas supplies and accessories. Often, the campground host is quite familiar with the local area and will be able to point you in the direction of a supplier. The hose that connects the regulator to the trailer is fairly common in size and length so may be available from an LP supplier as a "stock" part or even a well stocked mobile RV Technician may have the part. A larger RV dealer's parts department may have a compatible hose in their inventory as well (the dealer wouldn't necessarily have to handle Airstream products).

Good luck with your search, and try to enjoy your adventure!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 04:30 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Lewisville , Texas
This is great advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
Greetings CUTiger! Welcome to the Forums and the world of Airstreaming!!

When you mention that you are on your shakedown cruise, if you are in the typical campground, you might ask the host for a local referral for LP Gas supplies and accessories. Often, the campground host is quite familiar with the local area and will be able to point you in the direction of a supplier. The hose that connects the regulator to the trailer is fairly common in size and length so may be available from an LP supplier as a "stock" part or even a well stocked mobile RV Technician may have the part. A larger RV dealer's parts department may have a compatible hose in their inventory as well (the dealer wouldn't necessarily have to handle Airstream products).

Good luck with your search, and try to enjoy your adventure!

Kevin
NO NOIZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 09:35 AM   #5

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
That hose as noted is pretty common and used by many trailers I've picked up a couple from an SOB dealer close to my house. While you're at it get two hoses and replace the other one too. Biggest issue you will find matching the length of the hose since many dealers don't carry every length.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 12:16 PM   #6
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Take the old hose to any propane supply house and they'll likely make you a new one on the spot. Talking about the old-school propane dealers, not a box store that does tank exchanges. Nearly every large town or city with propane service will have at least one of these places.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8 'Bert'
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser 'The Bus' (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 12:51 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Hooper , Utah
Find a local "hose" shop in your area (they can be found on the internet), remove your hose from the AS trailer, and they will make you a new one that matches the one taken from the trailer with all the correct connections. The hose shops make hydraulic hose and gas lines (e.g. propane hoses and connections) for all the large construction equipment and machines. They make hoses for my lawn tractor.
albret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 03:35 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Box Elder , South Dakota
a solution i used while traveling Alaska was to cut off a short piece of hose - go to a hardware store and purchase copper tubing what fits into the hose (wetting the tube will help glide it in) get as snug a fit as you can - purchase about 2 inches more than you need (they will cut to length at the store) and some hose clamps to fit. copper tubing is used so that you can tighten down the clamps where plastic, rubber or synthetic would not seal and instead just flatten. then insert about 1 inch into each end of the hose - tighten the clamps and hit the road.
KevinGraceAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 08:17 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2024 27' Globetrotter
Charlotte , North Carolina
Thanks to all for your timely and thoughtful responses. We have been in rather remote locations, but will commence with repair or replacement upon return to civilization. Cell service and Internet service has been sporadic, but I did order online a hose 6” too long and will attempt to finesse it when we receive it.
CUTiger is offline   Reply With Quote