Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2022, 08:38 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Rochester , Michigan
Propane Fill

Total newbie question but…..do you get your propane tanks filled or do you just swap them out at a local gas station like I do for my grill at home?
ErickfromMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 08:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Fill them.

At Tractor Supply.

Go inside to customer service or checkout. Park near the big sign that says we fill propane tanks. Turn off the valve on top of the canister. Disconnect from the trailer. They fill. Chat them up while they fill so you can find the best Thai food nearby. Reconnect to the trailer. Pay the nice lady at checkout.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 08:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2023 28' International
Mercer County , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErickfromMI View Post
Total newbie question but…..do you get your propane tanks filled or do you just swap them out at a local gas station like I do for my grill at home?
If you have the 20# tanks, you can just get them swapped if you want but remember when they are filled, there is usually more propane put into them for the same price. A typical refill will fill it with 20# of propane while you only get about 15# with most swaps.

If you have the 30# tanks, you need to get the refilled as I am not aware of any places that swap that size.
jeffb831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 04:26 AM   #4
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Many U-Haul locations also fill propane tanks. Same for many Ace Hardware & True Value Hardware stores, but for these you usually have to remove the tanks from the trailer. Local propane supply places also fill them and often have the best price.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 04:56 AM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you have steel 20# tanks, it's a toss up in terms of swap or fill. As noted above, the fill may get you more propane at. lower cost. If you have 40# aluminum tanks, the only option is to fill ( doubly so of they have built in sensors ). So, more than a bit dependent on just what trailer ( Basecamp vs something else) folks are thinking about.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 08:21 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I have found that old style valves that need replaced prob. need recert. just swap out eliminate exp. unless they balk at swap.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 09:46 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Felton , California
When we picked up our base camp, the dealer said not to swap tanks due to some sort of warranty issue. (Not sure I believe that.) I swap some of our grill tanks, but we sometimes get older (paint over rust) tanks with the swap. I have the tanks on our trailer filled.
JA15830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 04:23 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Rhino swap: $23 for 15 lb = $1.50 per pound. Very used tanks. Bring it in before it’s empty, you’re giving the propane away.
Tractor Supply: about $1 per pound. Tanks are as nice as you care to have them. You can top off with no penalty.
I go to Tractor Supply.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 05:33 PM   #9

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I go down to a farm and home store about 18 miles south of me. They fill by the gallon. No flat charge. I have 30 lb aluminum tanks that last a long time. If I am traveling during weather where I will run the furnace rather than the heat pump, I will top off the tank in use and pay only for the amount of propane needed to top off. Under more normal circumstances I'll try to refill a tank when I get home once one goes empty and the regulator automatically switches over to the full tank.

It's rare I find a place when I'm out of town who fills by the gallon. Most have a flat rate based on tank sizewhether you are empty or only need a couple of gallons.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 09:35 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Rochester , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungus View Post
Fill them.

At Tractor Supply.

Go inside to customer service or checkout. Park near the big sign that says we fill propane tanks. Turn off the valve on top of the canister. Disconnect from the trailer. They fill. Chat them up while they fill so you can find the best Thai food nearby. Reconnect to the trailer. Pay the nice lady at checkout.

Lol. Awesome, thanks.
Old 10-03-2022, 09:37 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Rochester , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb831 View Post
If you have the 20# tanks, you can just get them swapped if you want but remember when they are filled, there is usually more propane put into them for the same price. A typical refill will fill it with 20# of propane while you only get about 15# with most swaps.

If you have the 30# tanks, you need to get the refilled as I am not aware of any places that swap that size.

Interesting info. Thanks!
Old 10-03-2022, 09:37 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Rochester , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA15830 View Post
When we picked up our base camp, the dealer said not to swap tanks due to some sort of warranty issue. (Not sure I believe that.) I swap some of our grill tanks, but we sometimes get older (paint over rust) tanks with the swap. I have the tanks on our trailer filled.

Thanks!
Old 10-04-2022, 12:04 AM   #13

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
FYI, not all Tractor Supply stores will do refills. The one closest to me will only do tank swaps. Call first to check.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 06:08 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2020 19' Caravel
Ammon , Idaho
I have found it is cheaper to refill than it is to exchange.
Both require about the same time and effort so not much argument for convenience of one over the other.
You should have no trouble finding a place to refill, just look for a giant propane tank outside.
OutdoorIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 07:04 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
FYI, not all Tractor Supply stores will do refills. The one closest to me will only do tank swaps. Call first to check.

Jack
U-Haul locations don't necessarily either. The one near me is supposed to sell propane, but they always have one excuse or another for why they can't at the moment I go there. I have stopped trying.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 08:32 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
The place nearest me, a farm and ranch store, is similar: Once in a while, they just can't get a licensed filler to do the job. I have no idea if this is because of low pay or just lack of interest to live / work in a village (or both).

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCPAS View Post
U-Haul locations don't necessarily either. The one near me is supposed to sell propane, but they always have one excuse or another for why they can't at the moment I go there. I have stopped trying.
Old 10-04-2022, 08:47 AM   #17
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Get them filled but when they go out of date it is sometimes cheaper to exchange to get a newer date, then just keep the new one and have it filled as needed. The exchange tanks are not filled all the way but the one time swap can still be cheaper than a recertification.
FWIW after dealing with inept attendants I now only have tanks filled at the propane supplier where all they do is propane and they know everything there is to know about filling all the different types of tanks and keeping you safe. There's not a lot to know about filling tanks but mistakes can be dangerous, such as filling horizontal tanks while in the vertical position which can result in overfilling. Overfilling can result in a frozen regulator and a refrigerator fire, saw it happen to a couple heading out with their 5th wheel after getting overfilled at U-haul. Their next stop was at the supermarket and when they came out with groceries the fiver was already on fire.
Old 10-04-2022, 12:04 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Arizona is one of the few states I know of that does not require a license from the state to fill propane cylinders. (Getting the license means taking a very thorough test, at least in my state.)

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
Get them filled but when they go out of date it is sometimes cheaper to exchange to get a newer date, then just keep the new one and have it filled as needed. The exchange tanks are not filled all the way but the one time swap can still be cheaper than a recertification.
FWIW after dealing with inept attendants I now only have tanks filled at the propane supplier where all they do is propane and they know everything there is to know about filling all the different types of tanks and keeping you safe. There's not a lot to know about filling tanks but mistakes can be dangerous, such as filling horizontal tanks while in the vertical position which can result in overfilling. Overfilling can result in a frozen regulator and a refrigerator fire, saw it happen to a couple heading out with their 5th wheel after getting overfilled at U-haul. Their next stop was at the supermarket and when they came out with groceries the fiver was already on fire.
Old 10-05-2022, 07:09 AM   #19
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Arizona is one of the few states I know of that does not require a license from the state to fill propane cylinders. (Getting the license means taking a very thorough test, at least in my state.)

Lynn
At the time I had a camper with horizontal tanks and the U-haul guy was getting ready to fill them while vertical. When I pretested he argued "We do it all the time". I put my tanks back in the camper and left, that was over 30 years ago and haven't used anyone but propane suppliers since. A propane guy in Pinetop, AZ explained to me how that overfills them and how dangerous an overfill can be. The tanks even had a warning label "Fill in horizontal position only"
Old 10-05-2022, 07:35 AM   #20
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Even at places that do fill tanks, they might not when you pull up. I've run into a lot of weird excuses. "We stop filling an hour before closing time" ( Ok, it's 4:03 and you close at 6 ...). The "filling guy is busy right now, come back tomorrow" ( ... that's pretty busy). You quickly learn that dialog isn't going to do any good. The answer it to head off down the road. When you get to someplace that is filling and chat you hear: "You only had to try three other places, most folks today have been to 5 or 10 other places"...... yikes .....

This reminds me that I need two tanks filled before end of day tomorrow ... hmmm....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote