Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2015, 09:25 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Propane: Black pipe or Copper under trailer?

I was hoping to get some input.

I am having new propane lines installed in my 73 Tradewind. The tech. suggested and measured for black pipe under the trailer.

He said is was more difficult to do but that is what he suggest

Could some folk let me know there opinion about using black pipe or copper under the trailer.

I do have the concern of dissimilar mental and plan to wrap it with pvc pipe wrap

Thanks in Advance

Tony
Tony S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Black pipe where!?!?

Tony, Do not let anyone tell you to use black rigid pipe for anywhere on an RV. I would not even use it if the trailer were a park model unless require by local code! The reason all travel trailers use copper is that rigid pipe will crack or break couplings from the bouncing and flexing that trailers do during travel. JUST DON'T DO IT!!!!! Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
COPPER COPPER COPPER! With Flare connections.

Flexible copper tubing, comes in coils from big box hardware stores. Don't use hard straight copper pipe that would be used for water lines in a house.
Big safety issue here.

Black pipe will easily corrode under there, and you have to transition to copper at some point for connecting to the appliances.

Flare fittings, not compression fittings. Compression fittings are for liquids, flare fittings for gasses. Copper will be a bit more expensive than black pipe, but it's a safety issue. You can reuse the flare fittings if they're in good shape, probably are and just need a bit of cleaning. Also salvage the gas shutoff valves under there. Lines going to each appliance should have a valve. Old valves wire brushed and soaked in some PB blaster should be like new.
You can likely get away with using all 3/8" copper tubing, to save a little money vs using 1/2" as the main line and branching off 3/8".

Are you just trying to replace the main line and keeping the branches, or replacing everything from source to end?
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:04 PM   #4

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...

I presume you are referring to black steel pipe as the trunk line. If so, this is common in the RV industry and works just fine and has been time tested successfully. Two of our rigs are plumbed this way and I would not hesitate to do the other rig this way if the need ever arises. Threaded steel trunk line with copper branch lines to appliances.

All copper is great but the cost is through the roof expensive.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Thanks for the responses.

It was a gut job so it is all new and new appliances and the rest. I appreciate the responses but am confused with the differences of opinion. The tech has 14 years experience a reputable ( enough) RV outfit in Medford, Oregon in the service department and is now a mobile service. He actual made an appointment and kept it. Saw the job took notes and conducted himself like a citizen. He is RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Aqua-Hot Certified and is licensed and insured.

But I never know for sure.

Anyway, keep any opinion coming it gives me the information to keep me out of trouble.

Tony
Old 06-02-2015, 11:51 PM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony S View Post
He is RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Aqua-Hot Certified and is licensed and insured.
RVIA Master Certification means that he's certified in five specialty areas— Appliance, Body, Chassis, Electrical Systems, and Plumbing, and that he has at least five years documented experience. Propane piping is a subset of plumbing, so it's in there.

In my book, if an RVIA master tech says do it a particular way, that carries more weight than if a talented amateur from the AirForums says do it a particular way.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:28 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Protagonist I tend to agree with you. I question him a little while he was here but being our first meeting I didn't want to seem like I didn't have faith or respect for his work. He was cool and basically said it was stronger and the new trailer used it. I replied well that sometimes the trailer companies use things based on price not that it works the best. (is that not the truth) That was about as far as I took it figuring I would do some research and pick some brains.

Does anyone know what Airstream is using on the new one out of the factory.
Anyway any other info would be great.

Tony
Old 06-03-2015, 11:45 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
My '69 Shasta has black iron pipe for the main gas line. And my 2015 Nash has it as well. My '74 Argosy is all copper.
Heavy industry uses black iron pipe for gas. In conditions much more severe than bouncing down the road on rubber tires and torsion axles.
I would use black iron.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Black iron pipe is used for gas in houses because it's easily distinguishable from water lines. It is NOT particularly specified for gasses, however.

If you want longevity... use galvanized pipe. It's also approved for gasses.

Main/Trunk lines are good in rigid pipe if it's properly secured.

Copper has a weakness, can you guess what it is?

(Hint: It become brittle and easily fractures from flexing and vibration.)

If flexing and vibration concern you... do NOT use copper. (Even Chas. Lindbergh knew better way back in 1927 when he deliberately cut/isolated the copper oil pressure lines and supplanted them with rubber connectors in his airplane to avoid the fracturing copper is infamous for due to vibration.)

AS uses copper tubing because it's CHEAPER when the labor it takes to measure and fit rigid pipe is taken into consideration. Soft copper can be hand-bent to fit by assemblers, even when the tubing was cut to an improper length, and made to fit quickly. It corrodes when exposed (like beneath trailers) and when it fractures it leaks dangerous gas.

If I were restoring a trailer, I'd use galvanized pipe in exposed locations, and flexible hoses where vibration required it. (Just exactly like the LPG industry requires when connecting your tanks to your regulator and your regulator to your trailer.)
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:13 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
bristol , New Hampshire
no galvie pipe

gas code in the northeast does not allow galv pipe, black iron is ok, I believe there is a reaction between the galvie and gas. Use ductile iron fitting as they are more forgiving. If it's exposed under the pan, black iron is much stronger than copper.
oldredhead52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:58 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
I presume you are referring to black steel pipe as the trunk line. If so, this is common in the RV industry and works just fine and has been time tested successfully. Two of our rigs are plumbed this way and I would not hesitate to do the other rig this way if the need ever arises. Threaded steel trunk line with copper branch lines to appliances.

All copper is great but the cost is through the roof expensive.

Bingo!

That is what I did, no problems at all.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:02 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio

Do not use galvanized pipe. It's illegal. The coating flakes off and clogs gas jets. Soft copper with flair connections is the proper stuff to use. Slip a piece of rubber tube over the copper where it goes through the trailer body to keep it from wearing. You only need a short piece where it enters the trailer or passes though a wall.

Don't forget to put the flair nut on the pipe before you flair the ends.

What's the cost of copper got to do with it. It's and Airstream. Do the job right.

Copper turns green and the oxidation actually protects the pipe.

FYI 35 years as a trained and certified pipe fitter.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:40 PM   #13

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigventure View Post
Do not use galvanized pipe. It's illegal. The coating flakes off and clogs gas jets. Soft copper with flair connections is the proper stuff to use. Slip a piece of rubber tube over the copper where it goes through the trailer body to keep it from wearing. You only need a short piece where it enters the trailer or passes though a wall.

Don't forget to put the flair nut on the pipe before you flair the ends.

What's the cost of copper got to do with it. It's and Airstream. Do the job right.

FYI 35 years as a trained and certified pipe fitter.

Yes, galvanized pipe is not for use with gas service, and one typically only forgets to slide the nut on prior to flaring the tubing a time or two before it sticks in their head.

Copper is one way to accomplish this project, it is not necessarily the "proper" way though. Cost has much to do with it for some people, irrespective of the Airstream moniker. I wouldn't use copper for DWV applications, but if it's for an Airstream perhaps I should? This is form over function thinking rather than function over form.

The same task can be accomplished appropriately and at a significantly lower cost. Not all here have the desire or means to throw money at something just because "that's the way it's always been done."

I'd much rather save my RV maintenance and repair dollars for things that will pay me "camping enjoyment dividends".

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:42 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Black iron pipe doesn't "flake" and "clog" gas jets? I guess "rust" doesn't flake and cause problems, heh? (All types, including copper, should always be installed with sediment traps.)

Galvanized is "illegal"?

Really?. Show me where that is codified.

From the IRC:
"
2009 IRC G2414.4.2 (403.4.2) Steel. Steel and wrought-iron pipe shall
be at least of standard weight (Schedule 40) and shall comply
with one of the following:
1. ASME B 36.10, 10M;
2. ASTM A 53/A 53M; or
3. ASTM A 106.
Commentary: Steel pipe must be Schedule 40 or heavier, must comply
with one of the listed standards and can be black
iron or galvanized. Contrary to popular belief, natural
gas does not adversely react with the zinc coating on
galvanized pipe."

From Galvanized natural gas pipe - InterNACHI Inspection Forum
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:37 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Black iron was used on the original main line on my '63 Overlander

Galvanized is not permitted where I live. I had a production facility shut down until we replaced all of it with black pipe. I don't know why, but the majority of the galvanized joints failed leak tests so I stopped fussing and spent $10,000 replacing pipe so I could get the gas turned back on, heat running and production restarted.

Just my experience, you milage may vary.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 01:13 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, my trailer has copper tubing and it snakes it's way around all sorts of things under my trailer. Black or galvanized pipe wouldn't work.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 02:19 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Well that settles it then. No, really, I appreciate all the input. I suspect both ways would work. The funny things is I have a couple of partial rolls of soft copper. I have had it for a decade. Makes sense to use it. Ahhh, but the rub maybe that I want to get off to a good start with this tech. who suggested the black pipe and left a good impression of himself. The other two that came out months ago never called back as they said they would. My thought was that those other mobile guys didn't want to get down and work. They wanted to make there money running around around the job looking at the job ordering parts and picking them up and then oh darn I guess we have to install them. So when a man comes out and ready to roll up his sleeves and get it done -- well I want to get off on the right foot with him. I want to vet his suggestion but if at all possible go with it if it makes sense.

Thanks

Tony