Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2023, 02:36 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Stillwater , Minnesota
Power to Propane Sensor Dead

Since my 2016 25-foot FC is about 7 years old, the propane sensor started beeping and needed replacement (they are only good for about 6 or 7 years). Two questions:
1. I went to replace the sensor with a new standard one and the power feeding the sensor went dead. I've checked it with a multimeter and nothing. Does anyone know if there is a fuse on the sensor line that may have blown, and if so, how to access it?
2. Since the sensor is 12v DC, and you can't just flip a circuit breaker or unplug the sensor to turn it off if trying to save the battery over winter (for safety reasons) does anyone know where the electric feed is coming from for that line? I assumed directly from the battery, but I can not find an individual line for it.

Any help would be appreciated!
DLaker
Old 11-29-2023, 04:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
On my 2013 Flying Cloud 25FB Twin, the propane detector is powered by a dedicated wire that bypasses the fuse/breaker box. The wire starts under the bed in the front right corner, where there is a bit of a rat's nest of wiring, including the end of the 7-pin cable and the wires connected to the use/store relay. Look in that area, you should see an in-line fuse holder on a skinny wire. That's the one for the propane alarm. I believe it's a 1 Amp glass fuse.

People before you have blown that fuse when replacing the alarm.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 07:53 AM   #3
Superannuated Member

2001 19' Bambi
Beaver Lake , Arkansas
SSquared is right. My Bambi has the electric rat nest under the ft. LH dinette seat, and the inline fuse for the propane / CO detector is in there. Hot at all times, even when the 12V switch is turned off.
Aironius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 09:18 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Allegan , Michigan
D,

At the risk of making an "unsafe" suggestion, you might want to consider taking the power from the shut off switch. I rewired my unit so that everything is off when the main power is off. Various items that are on all the time can draw down your batteries when in storage; I find it easier to turn off the power and the propane at the same time.

I think that the safety issue is mostly theoretical. In use both power and propane will be on, not so in storage. If you forget to shut the propane valves and then have a leak - who will hear the detector?

Whit Nash
rwnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 09:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwnash View Post
D,

At the risk of making an "unsafe" suggestion, you might want to consider taking the power from the shut off switch. I rewired my unit so that everything is off when the main power is off. Various items that are on all the time can draw down your batteries when in storage; I find it easier to turn off the power and the propane at the same time.

I think that the safety issue is mostly theoretical. In use both power and propane will be on, not so in storage. If you forget to shut the propane valves and then have a leak - who will hear the detector?

Whit Nash
I did the same thing. Some will argue the safety and "code" subject, but when will the trailer be occupied with the master power off????? Never.

In addition, I have encountered trailer brands which DO NOT have the propane detector powered on with the master off, form the factory. My son's Opus for example....so code?????

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 11:17 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
colebrook , Connecticut
one thing to take in consideerattion is the breakaway switch is feed direct and will be disabled. it does not pull any power unless it is activated.
malett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 12:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by malett View Post
one thing to take in consideerattion is the breakaway switch is feed direct and will be disabled. it does not pull any power unless it is activated.
Not unless one moves its feed. It should remain on the positive buss and not be switched at all. In the case of (my actibrake) E/H brake system, the actuator board does have a small parasitic draw. That can't be overcome, and shouldn't.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 01:14 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Power to propane sensor

On my 2015 27 FB FC the fuse is in the front storage next to the inverter. There is a panel that separates the storage area from the inverter that needs to be removed to access the fuse.
lkm4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 02:41 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Woodway , Texas
Propane Detector Feed Dead, New Detector

Check the new detector's power requirements; could be that it needs 2A instead of 1A fuse or whatever the instructions recommend. Even if you had to go from a 1A to a 5A fuse, your wiring will still support that and then some. And it if not that, could be a defective (new) detector. I happens...
emelaich01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 06:51 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Stillwater , Minnesota
Power to Propane Sensor Dead

Thanks all for the replies and the information. I found the fuse for the detector (in the rat's nest under my left dinette couch) and indeed the 1 amp fuse was blown. So I will replace that and see how it goes. The new Atwood detector does require a 1 amp busse fuse and it also reuires that the power to the sensor line be off before hooking up the new sensor. I think that is where I screwed up and blew it to begin with.

Thanks all.
D.