Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2020, 07:01 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Possible regulator issue or leak?

We arrived at our campsite last night. When I opened the cover of the LP tanks I smelled a little bit of LP. We had been driving in 95 degree heat for >5 hours, so I figured a bit of LP may have escaped.

I checked the valves and connections and they all seemed fine, so I went ahead and opened one of the valves. Stove wouldn’t turn on, either with the built in igniter or a lighter, and we didn’t smell any LP.

I turned off both valves, then disconnected and bled them. I noticed then that the regulator was still showing green, and this was true in both positions (left and right). I tapped it a few times but didn’t help.

Then I reconnected one valve and slowly turned it on. The stove worked.

So, we now have LP but I’m worried about a potential safety issue and it seems the regulator isn’t working? What would you suggest?
switters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
If you opened the valves too quickly, the overflow protection system probably stopped the flow. Valves must be opened slowly!! With the heat, and if tanks were full, the relief valve might have opened to bleed off excess pressure, causing the odor. Keep an eye on the system, but nothing sounds like a major problem.
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:34 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Thanks, everyone. The propane worked just fine for the entire trip so I think you were right that I just opened it too quickly and/or the heat caused leakage.
switters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 09:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
It is as was surmised the temperature change triggered the high outlet pressure protection mechanism and gas bled out causing the odor you detected. It also triggered the shut off mechanism which is why the system did not work until you bled it out and started over. All is well, false alarm. It happens sometimes.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote