Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-11-2019, 04:24 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Pigtail Fitting Size

I want to replace one of my 12" pigtails with a 15". It will make it easier to attach my adapter for a hose to run my grill, same as the setup on my old 22' we lost this year.

I'm trying to figure out what type 1/4" fitting I might have. Now it seems I might have a 3/8 pipe fitting instead. Can anyone confirm this from what they see in the photo I attached, or maybe what they have on their new 2019 FC?

I looked online at the Cavagna Propane Regulator site. It seems the model I have normally comes delivered with a brass fitting adapter screwed into the regulator inlet. My regulator has NO such adapter and the pigtail is screwed directly into the regulator. So.......I have to guess I have the 3/8 pipe fitting pigtail.

Why would Airstream install something that is not standard type of configuration.?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191011_153220.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	284.4 KB
ID:	354087  
TankerIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 07:46 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
I am a fellow Austinite with the same issue. I have a 2014 25FB which also has pigtails with the end of the hose fitting into the tank switch having larger than 1/4 pipe fittings. I just got back from South Dakota where one pigtail developed a leak. I have just started to search for a replacement and have to find the correct part. Let me know what you find and I will do the same. Hopefully, someone else will have a suggestion for us.
Lebthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:38 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
After briefly considering this I think I am going the 1/4 to 3/8 ntp adaptor route and use standard pigtails. This way I will be able to find a replacement pigtail easier when on the road. Hopefully reducing the size will have no ill effects.
Lebthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:01 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebthree View Post
After briefly considering this I think I am going the 1/4 to 3/8 ntp adaptor route and use standard pigtails. This way I will be able to find a replacement pigtail easier when on the road. Hopefully reducing the size will have no ill effects.
What adapter do you think will work? I have not confirmed that the inlet to the regulator is 3/8 pipe thread or 1/4. I need to know what to order.

I tried to call Cavagna but can't get the right number. I checked my Airstream parts manual and it seems they just order the Cavagna regulator with 11" hoses already attached. I looked on Amazon at the Cavagna regulators and those come with an adapter already screwed in. I guess Airstream got a bit cheaper assembly.
Old 10-15-2019, 04:35 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
FIXED - Found hose and Adapter

I went to my Airstream dealer who told me they had the 15" hose and I needed their adapter to make it work. The hose was only $11 (less than online). The adapter fitting was a brass 1/4" Male NPT x 1/4" Female Inverted Flare.

Installing the new hose with the adapter changed the geometry. I had to raise the regulator so that the new fittings would screw in straight(Img #1). Luckily, I had yellow teflon tape for LPG in my toolbox. The pipe fittings need that. I did not have to tape the flare fittings. I checked it all with dish soap mixture. It leaked before I used the Teflon, but not after.

The 15" hose was necessary because of my external hose connector. In order for all to fit in the propane tank cover, I needed to turn the tank at 45 degrees (Img#2).

In case you wonder why all the trouble: I have a table top grill that I like to use, but I want more than a couple of green portable bottles to power it. (Img#3)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20191015_142543.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	232.7 KB
ID:	354324   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191015_150816.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	297.2 KB
ID:	354325  

Name:	IMG_20191015_165643.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	598.2 KB
ID:	354326  
Old 10-15-2019, 04:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Pigtail Fitting Size

NPT to inverted flare adapters are available in multiple sizes in most good hardware stores. There is nothing special about these adapter fitting.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 05:29 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
NPT to inverted flare adapters are available in multiple sizes in most good hardware stores. There is nothing special about these adapter fitting.

Aerowood you are right. My problem was nobody could tell me what adapter I needed. I looked at parts manual, called the regulator company, searched online, and checked this forum. I was sure it was simple. I was not going to drive my trailer to Home Depot to solve the problem.

So finally now, if my post is clear, someone will know that they need to get new pigtails for their 2019 Flying Cloud.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:17 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Does TankerIP mean Tanker Instructor Pilot? I just retired as a C-130 FE (Civilian)
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 07:19 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
Does TankerIP mean Tanker Instructor Pilot? I just retired as a C-130 FE (Civilian)
Yes that's correct. Retired many years ago.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:44 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by TankerIP View Post
Aerowood you are right. My problem was nobody could tell me what adapter I needed. I looked at parts manual, called the regulator company, searched online, and checked this forum. I was sure it was simple. I was not going to drive my trailer to Home Depot to solve the problem.

So finally now, if my post is clear, someone will know that they need to get new pigtails for their 2019 Flying Cloud.

I have a 2009 25FB Classic and I’m trying to change out both propane hoses. As yours the regulator does not have the brass fitting installed. The old hose could be 3/8” and the new hose could be 1/4”. Has anyone solved which fitting will work in the regulator and allow the new hose to be installed? I have gone on line and found regulators and all have a brass fitting installed to reduce down to a 1/4” hose. Need part number of fitting
Old 11-11-2019, 08:56 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie-Bob View Post
I have a 2009 25FB Classic and I’m trying to change out both propane hoses. As yours the regulator does not have the brass fitting installed. The old hose could be 3/8” and the new hose could be 1/4”. Has anyone solved which fitting will work in the regulator and allow the new hose to be installed? I have gone on line and found regulators and all have a brass fitting installed to reduce down to a 1/4” hose. Need part number of fitting

Ok more on line work found the following.

Camco Part number 59953 is the fitting that goes between the Camco Regulator and the new hoses.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:04 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
I never regret coming here for things to check on what I'm doing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The above link, explains the difference, which I was not aware of either, Why would I be? I'm not a RV mechanic =D

As the OP said, the regulators we get from Airstream don't have the adapter's installed. Mine does not either. And I discovered a LP leak in the pigtail today. Fortunately before our Xmas vacation trip!

In the camco product list above they have a great video that explains the difference, and the use of the adapter for what pigtails are normally available. The flare end.

I grabbed a couple of the camco fittings to go with the Cavagna pigtails I ordered that would not have worked without the adapters. I'm close to home depot, but I just didn't feel like going to the store .

I've always been impressed with Camco video and their instructions on how things work.

So hopefully in a couple of days when my hoses and adapters arrive, I can swap them _BOTH_ out and be good to go leak-free and using the standard connections in case this happens on the road.

I just need some thread sealant. My Airstream obviously has loctite red thread sealant on it. It's loctite 565. It's not a thread lock, rather a sealant thats made for brass fittings and tape and is easier to apply than those dam tape rolls. This should be done on the regular-side of the adapter. One may not 'need' it on the pigtail side, but I'll apply it anyway as its all apart anyway.

In the photo I am going to add, you can see the regulator and the NPT end on it with red sealant like the OP's.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LP.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	393.5 KB
ID:	357552  
JJTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 02:35 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Here's a pic of the adapter I got by camco.

The other pic shows it just partially inserted. I'm test fitting it today as I had to order some thread sealant thats not showing up until tomorrow.

BUT, I have all the right parts!! Yay me. I just got another Cavagna brand hose.

So now everyone knows what to buy for their stock/factory airstream when their pigtail springs a leak.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fit.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	708.6 KB
ID:	357575   Click image for larger version

Name:	hose1.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	373.9 KB
ID:	357576  

JJTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 10:14 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Euless , TX
I wish I knew the name of the person responsible for not telling us all the stuff to fix my trailer.
Oh, wait, it is me. Pipe threads are like a box of chocolate, you never know what you you are going to get.
Use liquid Teflon if you can get it. If the regulator is not inverted flare, it does not matter about the adapter.
See ya down the road.
VacuumKing is offline   Reply With Quote