Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-25-2018, 06:52 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
"But another question. The CO detectors for my house are the plug in type. Are they even worth having? I don't know anyone who has outlets high up on the wall. "

Low is better than nothing. Check the back of them, there is likely a slip out plug that has a cord and would allow you to mount them higher up. In my two story house I kept them low in the living spaces. In the basement where the heater and water heater were (likely sources of CO) I did use the cords to hang them higher off a rafter to be more likely to let me know of an issue with the those particular pieces of equipment.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 07:39 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.matches View Post
Our dog used to like lying on the lino flooring because it was cooler and that is where the propane detector is....she passed wind in the middle of the night and set it off (scared the you-know-what outta her and us too...). We found out it worked just fine
Same thing happened to us!
Old 10-25-2018, 07:47 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.matches View Post
Our dog used to like lying on the lino flooring because it was cooler and that is where the propane detector is....she passed wind in the middle of the night and set it off (scared the you-know-what outta her and us too...). We found out it worked just fine
Ditto... sorta. Our Jesse was "winding her clock" in the middle of the night, searching for a more comfortable position. Having found it, she plopped down and her backside hit the test button. With googly eyes, I went to the galley to the smoke detector... no joy. Then, back to the bedroom and the CO detector...again, no joy. Flashlight. Dog that I was stepping over each trip...Voila! Propane detector.

This incident motivated me to build a maintenance checklist wherein I regularly check the smoke detector, propane detector, CO detector and fire extinguisher (along with several dozen other things, of course).
Rokitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 08:00 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
It's the dog. I've been blaming the dog for years. I've never...the dog never set the alarm off yet.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:46 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Okay so we as a group have a decision to make...let this move into a "my dog farts" thread or start another under that title so that new folks moving into the world of travel trailers can get some insight without a lot of junior high humor (although I totally get the humor).
Just trying to answer some valid newby questions so they don't feel like outcasts.
Now - if a new thread of unusual propane sensor activation does happen please let me know as the junior high part of me would love to participate.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:11 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Our Propane Alarm Works

Dogs do, in fact, pass gas often. I have one Pomeranian/Chihuahua mix cutie that belches, typically right in your face, when he’s happy.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1696.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	340.4 KB
ID:	326323
His name is Vader, cause he’s on the dark side...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:57 PM   #27
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfa440 View Post
Alarms are fun. Funny when they sound we think they are malfunctioning.
People tend to think that about circuit breakers and GFCIs as well. We get many calls for circuit breakers tripping and GFCIs tripping and the caller usually says they think they need a new circuit breaker or GFCI because it keeps tripping.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:45 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Salida , Colorado
Carbon monoxide (CO) has a molecular weight of 28, the same as nitrogen, the most prevalent gas in the atmosphere. The next most prevalent gas is oxygen with a molecular weight of 32. The average molecular weight of dry air is 28.97, almost the same as carbon monoxide, and even closer when moisture is included since water has a molecular weight of 18. So you do not need to fret over whether the CO detector is high or low, since it will not tend to stratify in air.

Propane (C3H8) has a molecular weight of 44, so it will tend to pool at the bottom of a trailer, and detectors should be placed low.

Lee
Lee_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 02:08 PM   #29
International Grey Nomad

1999 35' Cutter Bus Diesel Pusher
Bulahdelah , NSW Australia
Very easy solution to these dangerous situations developing

Just manufacture cooktops with no-flame cutoffs as happens in some other countries.
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 02:09 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Lewisville , Texas
Have learned first hand that a pecan beer spilled directly on the propane detector will also generate a false positive!

Thanks,
@tflyingsquirrel
mattRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 05:56 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
We have a 2016 it has smoke, CO and propane detectors. The propane detector is properly located low and near the stove. Adjacent to the detector is a label stating the date when the detector will expire. Plus the green light will change to yellow when the detector is no longer safe to use. Our propane detector went off during the night once. Scared us, could not detect any propane. Finally realized after googling that our dog had set it off passing gas. I had to vaccumn to get it to reset. They are sensitive.
robearl733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:20 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
1970 27' Overlander
SoCal , USA
We have a vintage trailer. The propane detector is located in the middle of my face. I can detect when the first tank is about to empty. My husband can’t, but I assumed that was just him.
perri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:17 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Perri, subtle humor there...but I get it.
And - Hey I resemble that!!!!
Very well done.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:50 AM   #34
International Grey Nomad

1999 35' Cutter Bus Diesel Pusher
Bulahdelah , NSW Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by perri View Post
We have a vintage trailer. The propane detector is located in the middle of my face. I can detect when the first tank is about to empty. My husband can’t, but I assumed that was just him.
That particular detector will not work when you are asleep and some face-mounted detectors are not sensitive to mercaptin anyway. Electronic units are more reliable.
Betty can tell when the bottle is empty too, but one day I came into the motorhome and it was full of propane. Cooker was cracked on and not lit and her head was away from and above the stove so she hadn't smelled it yet. Neither had the detector whicwas more of a concern until I realised I hadn't reconnected it after disconnecting for winter storage. Gas appliance approval laws need stiffening up to prevent this scenario
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:57 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
1970 27' Overlander
SoCal , USA
Tony, you have a point.

If we used our propane heater overnight, it might be an issue. But we don’t, bc it’s so inefficient. Also, the propane additive permeates the place before the pilot on the stove goes out. As you know, the strong scent settles at the bottom of the tank, like a sleeping skunk.

The tank tends to get low during active use, cooking or heating the rig up on a cold morning—not when we’re sleeping. We also have different habits camping in an old trailer, like switching the tank when we know it’s low, before it empties. So we’re good. Less gadgetry is addition by subtraction to our camping experience. But I’m sure you’re right that it’s a good idea for others.

How strange that they chose a scent that some can’t detect. I think these persons must be exceptional. As soon as I catch a whiff, headache and nausea strike.
perri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:43 AM   #36
Winemaker

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Avila Beach , California
I am trying to determine where the power for the propane detector originates on my trailer? I would like to connect it to the "store" side to prevent power loss when not in use.
rgwatkin is offline   Reply With Quote