Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2014, 06:08 PM   #1
Silver Condo III

2015 30' International
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Odd Regulator Issue

Hi folks,

I have an interesting conundrum for you. I have the standard two-stage crossover regulator that comes with Airstreams. The issue I have is that I am seriously colour (color for you Yanks, LOL) deficient and can't tell the difference between the red and green on the indicator. This means I can't tell what the level of propane is. The only way I know that it is low, is when I run out - always at the most inopportune time!

Any suggestions as to how to tell how much propane I have left, without taking the shroud off and visually inspecting the tanks. (you know the hot water, method, etc.)

thanks as always

Malcolm
Old 06-15-2014, 06:20 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Northern VT , Vermont
I have a buddy near color blind, says red/green is the worst. He shines a U V flash light on things when he needs to know. He says he sees a difference under U V. I don't know???. You could take the lens off and paint the colors black & white.
putback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:29 PM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Odd Regulator Issue

Dependent upon the year of your trailer you may have a gauge on the tank. I have one on each of my tanks. Many of us have a system panel that also reflects the tank level. If all else fails I touch the sides of the tank when either the water heater or furnace is running. Typically when a high use appliance is consuming gas, the area of the tank where the Lp is in a gas form is cool or colder to the touch. If you moved your hand down the tank you will feel the tank get warm. That level of the tank between cold and warm is the liquid level, thus your fill level of the tank. The key is a heavy gas use appliance will have to be running for a few minutes. If not it will be much harder to detect that difference since the liquid isn't changing from liquid to gas.

In damp climates or in high humidity you will see moisture on the tank in the area above the liquid during heavy gas use.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I don't trust those auto switchover things anyway. The best solution is to get a tank with a real level indicator. This requires a tank with two bungs. One for the fill valve and one for the float gage. The older Airstream tanks came with the float gage but the new laws for OPD valves requires you to remove the much more useful float gage fill valve.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:27 AM   #5
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamadeca View Post
Hi folks,

I have an interesting conundrum for you. I have the standard two-stage crossover regulator that comes with Airstreams. The issue I have is that I am seriously colour (color for you Yanks, LOL) deficient and can't tell the difference between the red and green on the indicator. This means I can't tell what the level of propane is. The only way I know that it is low, is when I run out - always at the most inopportune time!

Any suggestions as to how to tell how much propane I have left, without taking the shroud off and visually inspecting the tanks. (you know the hot water, method, etc.)

thanks as always

Malcolm
Get a piece of dark green theatrical lighting gel. I would suggest Roscolux #389 although any dark green gel will work. Any stage equipment supply store can get it for you. A full sheet is usually around $15 in the U.S. All you need is a little scrap of it, but you might have to buy a whole sheet.

Wrap it around the plastic window for the empty tank indicator and secure it in place using clear tape or something.

When the indicator shows empty it will now appear black, so you'll be able to tell the difference.