Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-10-2018, 01:52 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Helotes , Texas
BS!!!
Ethanol was added to gas to appease the Great God ADM and the other corporation farms. The corn subsides were not enough. They needed a dependable, long-term buyer for ethanol. This is the result of political IOUs.
glrtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 01:56 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by glrtex View Post
BS!!!
Ethanol was added to gas to appease the Great God ADM and the other corporation farms. The corn subsides were not enough. They needed a dependable, long-term buyer for ethanol. This is the result of political IOUs.
Let's not go political, even though you are probably absolutely correct...and don't start me on excess use of corn syrup in food...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 01:57 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
BS!!!
Oh! Ok, that was simple. I'm not going to argue about it, but what you propose as the end game is only the "other political agendas" piece I suggested above. Your statement is a middle game played by opportunists. But...they do play a valuable role in the technological progress made. And yes, I am very familiar with ADM. But they are actually not the biggest player anymore. I believe you would find DuPont to be the emergent force. ADM is still there though.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:59 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
My 4.7 Tundra will get 18 MPG with non ethanol fuel and gets around 16 on ethanol gas (all highway driving on long trips). I've checked it numerous times with similar result give or take 1/2 MPG. Around here non-ethanol fuel is way more expensive per gallon so even when I figure the better milage it still cost more.
OTOH, I only use non ethanol fuel in all my chain saws, trimmers, mowers, 4 wheelers generator, etc. Ethanol gas will gum up a carb if it sits for only a few months. Using non ethanol gas with StaBilt added to it, my power equipment always cranks right up even after months of non use.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:15 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
But older diesels like my 2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI and my 2012 Ram 2500HD Cummins are labeled for a maximum of 5% bio-diesel and we now have some states forbidding the sale of anything but 20% bio-diesel. 20% will destroy both my fuel filtarion system and engine. So I always look for just pure diesel and avoid those states that have been captured by the "bio whatever" lobby.

When my Mercedes was newer with an in place extended warranty, Mercedes service told me that use of over 5% bio-diesel would void my warranty.
And now they are pushing for 15% in unleaded gasoline.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:17 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
And now they are pushing for 15% in unleaded gasoline.
That died

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 04-10-2018, 03:20 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
BS!!!
Don't forget the Conagra and Monsanto $%^&*($.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:21 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
That died
Good!
Old 04-10-2018, 03:52 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
OP...in a word, YES!
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:58 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Over the past several years, I've spent over $4,000 to repair the damage done to small engines and outboards. Fortunately, I have non-ethanol gas delivered to the house that I use in my old cars, small engines and outboards. I have a small boat in California with a 30HP Honda outboard that has cost over $2000 to repair damage caused by ethanol. Tried additives, etc, no relief in California at the marine fuel docks. Thanks Jerry.
Old 04-10-2018, 04:51 PM   #31
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
On the other hand, I have been using ethanol fuel for years in my vehicles, power equipment, and boat with no trouble. My stuff is all old, too. I cut the gas valve off if they have it and run them dry. I drain the tanks on seasonal equipment.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 05:20 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
On the other hand, I have been using ethanol fuel for years in my vehicles, power equipment, and boat with no trouble. My stuff is all old, too. I cut the gas valve off if they have it and run them dry. I drain the tanks on seasonal equipment.
Yeah, me too. My really old stuff (pre 1985) have the carbs rebuilt with modern carb kits. (1966 mercury 6hp outboard and a 1971 Johnson 9.5 hp outboard). Even all my small 2 stroke stuff happily has been eating e10 for years.

Old 04-10-2018, 09:12 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Yes I am opinioned, yes done the research over the years, yes read both sides, yes hard on your engines (all types), yes used both, yes different and higher pollutant than straight gas, yes less MPG, ethanol is a FED. scam, always will be. Sorry, it has always been a political thing we US tax payers take the hit for. Believe what you want. No more discussion from me, end of story.

Best regards and safe travels
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:14 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbowman View Post
Yes I am opinioned, yes done the research over the years, yes read both sides, yes hard on your engines (all types), yes used both, yes different and higher pollutant than straight gas, yes less MPG, ethanol is a FED. scam, always will be. Sorry, it has always been a political thing we US tax payers take the hit for. Believe what you want. No more discussion from me, end of story.

Best regards and safe travels
Not the end...maybe for your mind, because its closed...and wrong on several fronts. But anyway, since you're done, good night.

Old 04-11-2018, 06:55 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Lot's of good info. Thank You. Also in Chicago we have a "Winter" Blend forgot what that is? More$$$. Less performance. Bottom line to me is I will continue my belief in Santa and Non-Ethanol Fuel. And my 5.3 8/4 motor likes it?
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:00 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by knunut View Post
Lot's of good info. Thank You. Also in Chicago we have a "Winter" Blend forgot what that is? More$$$. Less performance. Bottom line to me is I will continue my belief in Santa and Non-Ethanol Fuel. And my 5.3 8/4 motor likes it?
Winter blend and summer blend (for gasoline) has to do with the Reid vapor pressure of the fuel. In cold weather we need fuel to vaporize readily for proper combustion. However in summer, that would cause higher evaporative emissions as well as more propensity for vapor lock.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:24 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
With current gas blends.....is there any short term danger/damage to occasionally mixing non-ethanol gas with E-10 gas.

I seasonally change out the non-ethanol gas stored in my generators and top off my truck with it.
nsbcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:41 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsbcpa View Post
I seasonally change out the non-ethanol gas stored in my generators and top off my truck with it.
Me too. Too good to waste.

Someone commented about non-ethanol costing more.
Over my driving life, I've seen the price of gas reflect what the refineries want you to buy.
Diesel was cheaper than regular, unleaded was cheaper than leaded. As soon as the market spoke, the price changed.
Near me, the Wa-Wa sells non-ethanol.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:47 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsbcpa View Post
With current gas blends.....is there any short term danger/damage to occasionally mixing non-ethanol gas with E-10 gas.

None

Old 04-11-2018, 10:09 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
A previous post stated subsidies for corn. Those subsidies ended many yrs. ago, there aren't subsidies any more unless extremly low price, and there hasn't been any subs. pd. for many years. But many still believe the myth of subsidies for corn or not growing. Yes there are subs. to tobacco industry even tho tobacco will kill you. subs. to ethanol industry but not for corn. Corn feeds many people, animals, fowl etc.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote