Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-09-2014, 11:32 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Sagle , Idaho
Newbie needs help getting Suburban model NT-30S going

I am a new owner of 7 days of a 1987 Excello 32 foot. I have my operators manual. I am unsure which position of the gas valve is on or off and the manual does not specify. Manual says put in off position to get burner going after running the blower 5 minutes etc. When I turn the thermostat to off and the temp above room temp as per the instructions I do not hear a blower. What have I done wrong? I will not experiment because the manual says you must follow directions precisely and I have experience in general at home with propane. I understand the Suburban heater reputation according to this forum. I think the blower should be readily heard and I cannot hear it. Thanks for any assistance. All my other systems on this 32 are doing great and I am not out of propane and I know that is not required to get the blower moving. my power is on and no other problems anywhere.
southsaglejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
On mine, the thermostat switch has to be "on" and the thermostat must be calling for heat to get the heater to come on. Typically, a quarter-turn valve needs to have the handle "lined up" with the line in order to flow gas.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:06 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Sagle , Idaho
Not sure I should have ignored the manual regarding the 5 minute blower period before going to the on position with the thermostat, but the prior owner that the valve was in the on position and he suggested just starting by turning it on and setting the temp up to let it cycle and start. He said it might take a couple of cyclings. Basically he doubted he need for the 5 minute purge-(I disagree because the manual says it for safety. )He did say clear the wasp, mud dauber, hornet nest from the outside exhaust and there was one in there. Any blockage will prevent cycling-he learned that from his RV technician. So I turned on the thermostat and increased the temp control on the thermostat and heard the click at the thermostat and sure enough the heater started on the first try. Very happy about that. Now how do I tell when my propane tank on the port side is about to be empty so I do not run out of LP gas in the middle of needing a gas appliance.
southsaglejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:15 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
1988 32' Excella
Linthicum , Maryland
Owner of -88 Excella 32ft with same problem. Can't get furnace running. Unable to locate the thermostat switch - found thermostat in the back on trailer - no switch there. Does't look like tvere is a switch by the furnace either. Appreciate if someone could clarify the location for me.
RuneM46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
On my '86, Sliding switch on the bottom of the thermostat housing. Outboard is off, inboard on. Temperature setting on the sliding switch on top.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:27 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
My '86 has twin 30# tanks with an automatic switchover valve. When one tank runs dry, the other supplies gas. Just remember to check every now and then to see if it has switched over...
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 12:38 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
1988 32' Excella
Linthicum , Maryland
Thanks - did a quick look at the thermostat, and the bottom slider doesn't appear to be hooked up to anything - in fact the slider was glued stuck. 2 wires goes into the box. Will check for voltage tomorrow
RuneM46 is offline   Reply With Quote