Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2007, 07:20 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Saint Helena , California
I have a new regulator and now I have new (fillable!) tanks to replace the old style jobs. I want to paint the white tanks silver. Is there any reason that I can't take off the two warning tags (that say not to)? Will the Mattress Police come get me?
bevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:29 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Just a reminder.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevman
"Yellow tape"... are you talking about some special Teflon tape for gas? Never heard of that. I don't imagine that it's a Home Despot item?
..............that you NEVER use teflon tape or pipe dope on any compression, gasketed or flare fitting as the tape will prevent the flair or gasket from sealing into the bulb properly. Use it on straight threaded joints ONLY! Remember, it's the FLARE that does the sealing, not the THREADS.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 09:12 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
And another thing

I'll toss this in to the mix. I had a problem with the gas flow after switching to new style tanks. Seems the problem is the old style hoses, even though they do fit into the old tanks, have a very good chance of not fitting deep enough to completely open the check valves. The PO was also kind enough to teflon tape the fittings, absolutely no reason to do this, it just made the problem worse. As a refresher, the old style tanks would allow you to turn the main valve and blow out gas. The new style have a check valve that unless a hose is attached, no gas blows out. the problem is the old fittings didn't have a critical length of the 'nose'. If you have one that is a little short it will slightly open the check valve and only allow a low flow rate. Thats fine until the water heater AND the central heat both try to run at the same time. One of them will die and it's either cold inside or someone will be taking a cold shower. I know which of mine are short and that is the one I use for the spare tank (too cheap right now to upgrade to the new hose ends). A good way to tell if your having this issue is to fire up the heater and the oven then see if the tank valve is getting cold. This indicates a pressure drop and a problem.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:31 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Help with gas lines

I found this thread with the pictures and same problem I am dealing with. I have the new ODP flex lines that will replace the copper lines. I took the fitting off and found the square metal plug and spring inside as the picture shows. I want to reduce the fitting to match with my new propane lines. The fitting that needs to be reduced is a flare fitting for copper. Can I do this without using a male adapter that is on a flare fitting? I just want to get a reducer and hook it up. the 1/4 flare fitting threads are different from the other 1/4 reducers. I understand the importance of putting the original piece back in with the spring and square metal plug. What are my options

SIU Bound

Brian
Lothlorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:29 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I found out by trial and error that the old lines will fit in the new tank. I will just go with the old lines. I will take back the new hoses and put the money towards my third fan.

SIU bound
Lothlorian is offline   Reply With Quote