Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2003, 07:48 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
opd's

Checked the OPD valves on my two 30lb. alum. tanks that I had upgraded today. Guess what? They are the wrong ones. According to the bulletin OV64 referred me to the aluminum 30's should have the 6.0 dip tubes. The propane dealer put 4.8 tubes in mine. I hope they will take my news well. It may go like Chevy Chase said in a "Fletch" movie, "It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong and I am not a big man". Some so-called experts can turn into real $#@'s when "Joe Consumer" matches wits with them.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 12:17 PM   #22
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Source for Aluminum OPD

Did anyone find a resource for Aluminum tank OPD valves?

I have two 40 lb Aluminum tanks and I am in dire need of valves.

thanks,
Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 12:51 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Wrong Valves?

When I had my first tank done, they put a 4.8" dip tube in, which is wrong. However, when I went to have it refilled at Flying J, it only took 6.5 gallons, so it was UNDER filled. I took the second tank in, and pointed the error out to them, and they said they would correct it, and put the right valve in the second tank. When I got it back it had a 5.8" dip tube, according to the stamp. Not sure what to think at this point, but I guess if the OPD kicks in before it reachs 7.1 gallons, the tank will not be overfilled and therefore safe. I hope.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 04:14 PM   #24

I just checked my 2 aluminium 40Lbs, sure enough, we have the wrong valves (both bought on the road in NY, 2 different dealers: we' re stuck with them). We will fill only by weight.

But, I have a few questions:

There seem to be some numbers going around which don't match :

Pick mentioned a 5.8" dip tube, where "WBCCI ....on...OPD Valves" talk about 6" for a 30Lbs. Likewise, the valve for a 40Lbs steel is supposed to be 6.5'' but the 2 valves we've end up with read 6.4" [40Lbs alu should be 7'].
These are of course small differences, but there should be only one set of numbers. If it is supposed to be 6", then it is not 5.8" ; 6.5" is not 6.4''.

What I mean to say is: this creates only more confusion and cast doubts on any information published.

Other point:

besides Airstream, aluminium tanks are used on boats. I just checked this forum:

http://www.freedomyachts.com/wwwboar...ages/4327.html

They are as confused as us about OPD valves. They made 2 statements [true or false, no idea, their words, not mine ]:

"I took one of my ... tanks to Suburban Propane to see if the valve could be changed. They said it could, but your aluminium tank is not a consumer product, but rather a commercial product, and the law does not apply to commercial products."

Will every Suburban Propane make this statement ? My local independant propane dealer told us he checked with the Propane Association, and the law leaves a lot of leaway about filling tanks without OPD valves (may vary by State). Even if true, good luck having them filled on the road.

The 2nd interesting statement from those boat people:

"... there are two different styles of dip tubes, one made by Sherwood and the other by Manchester." You can read the long description, here is a summary:

The Manchester valve has an arm that sticks out like the shutoff valve in a toilet tank. As the tank fills up, this float rises and shuts the input off when the tank is about half full [sic].
The Sherwood valve doesn't have an arm, there is a float that rises up around the dip tube like the float on a Fluidmaster valve in a toilet. It's like the float needle in a carburetor on a gas engine. It surrounds the dip tube in the center of the tank.

2 valves makers: can that explain why we see different numbers on castings?

I hope at least this bit of info can be useful: boat supplies are another source of valves,

Good luck, we keep our "steel" valves,

Chantal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	b.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	1537  
femuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 05:00 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Chantal, You are right 5.8" is not 6". What I am wondering now is if the 5.8 is equal to the 6 of the different manufacturer. But, I think we are 100% safe knowing that the capacity of the tank is 30# or 7.1 gallons, and that filled to those levels it is indeed safe, or 40# and 9.4 gallons with your cylinders. I have weighed my bottles empty on a digital scale, and they are 16.5# empty.

What is ironic about this whole situation, is that the OPD valves are supposed to be used to insure that the bottles are filled to proper capacity, but in installing the wrong valves they have made the bottle more dangerous than it was before! My bottles had the thumbscrew valve that spit out liquid when the proper level was reached. So much for progress!

Mike
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 05:13 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Chantal,

How many days do you get from that large LPG tank?

John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 05:24 PM   #27

Wink

Pick,

Great idea to weigh the bottle, but next time, if you don't have a scale, just read on the collar:

WC 71.5 W 16.5::::::: that's the weigh of your bottle
(WC= water capacity)

You are very right about the "80% screw", that was a lot safer.
I've heard that the law maker who helped pass that law, owns a valve Co. Truth or rumor, I guess we will never know for sure. !!!

John,

this is a 100Lbs we just bought. Had it on since 01/10, still running. We use a 40Lbs in 2 weeks, but we are tough !!!

Chantal.
Old 02-19-2003, 05:37 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Chantal,

Mike looks like he's had the temp just a little too cold, by looking at his hat !

John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 06:56 PM   #29
JLD
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to JLD
Hi. I took my tanks to Ferrell propane supply at the Washington State Beach, ie Long Beach, and they refitted both. The tanks are 25 years old. It cost me $30 and change per tank. So far there is no problem. It costs a little more than a regular, newer five gallon tank because the old aluminum tanks have a pipe that takes propane from the bottom of the tank first.

Good luck, Joan
JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 02:26 PM   #30

Source for OPD valves for aluminium tanks:

in stock at Out Doors Mart, NC. I think the price is a bit stiff: they are $28.95, plus shipping of about $7.00 (approximate until an address is given). They have a small quantity for 40Lbs, a lot more for 30Lbs. They can get more in just a few days.

These Manchester valves are certified to be the right ones: on 02/21/03, I have personaly checked the stamping on shaft as 5.8" (for 30) & 7" (for 40Lbs).
phone: 800 ODM CAMP http://www.outofdoorsmart.com/

Chantal

[PS: I said price is stiff, but I really don't know: we paid $20, but they were the wrong ones.]
Old 02-22-2003, 02:32 PM   #31

Source for OPD valves for aluminium tanks:

in stock at Out Doors Mart, NC. I think the price is a bit stiff: they are $28.95, plus shipping of about $7.00 (approximate until an address is given). They have a small quantity for 40Lbs, a lot more for 30Lbs. They can get more in just a few days.

These Manchester valves are certified to be the right ones: on 02/21/03, I have personaly checked the stamping on shaft as 5.8" (for 30) & 7" (for 40Lbs).
phone: 800 ODM CAMP http://www.outofdoorsmart.com/

Chantal

[PS: I said price is stiff, but I really don't know: we paid $20, but they were the wrong ones.]