Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-28-2016, 05:09 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhendren View Post
Yes - like dkottum said - on the inside of the trailer at the same spot where the black tank hose connection is on the outside of the trailer. In my 23D, it's under the bathroom sink, easily visible by just opening the cabinet doors below the sink.
Thanks you guys, I'll take a look in the bathroom.

Trailer Trash..........."
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 06:29 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Full-time traveling , Hmmmm. what day of the week is it?
Our black water tank solution

We too had black water tank problems.

Here is how we addressed the situation we found ourselves in:

https://livinginbeauty.net
JBBeaubeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:40 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I saw this product and clearing technique demonstrated this past summer in Florida. Looks like a good last chance method. Recommend that you do not watch the video right after eating.

http://tanktechsrx.com/unclogging-yo...ank-or-toilet/

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:18 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBBeaubeaux View Post
We too had black water tank problems.

Here is how we addressed the situation we found ourselves in:

https://livinginbeauty.net
Really great write-up! Thanks for sharing. I hope I never have to go through that, but if (when) I do, I'll keep this post so I know what to do!

Ryan
rlhendren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 11:53 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lynnwood , Washington
Just because your tank is empty doesn't mean you don't have a clog in the sewer outlet.

Fill the tank half-full and see if it drains quickly. If it doesn't, you'll hafta take draconian measures.

With waste valve closed, run a garden hose down the toilet and thoroughly flush the tank. Wash, rinse, repeat 'til the tank drains properly. Do not fill tank more than 1/2 to 2/3's full. Once a clogged tank is full, you can't use water for further flushing, or back-flushing.

Also, get a clear back-flush elbow with garden hose connector:

1) You can see what comes out of your tank.

2) You can back-flush clog into your tank, where you can break it down from there.

This'll take time, so be patient with yourself.

Tom
TomKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 01:21 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
rlhendren.....I had a similar problem with the black tank No Fuss Flush on my 2007 25' Safari. The valve was located inside the trailer in the area close to where the outside connection fitting is installed. I got access to it through an access panel in my closet. Attached is a picture of the valve from my 2007. The water enters the valve from the bottom and pushes the nylon disk in the valve to raise up and close off the vent holes at the top of the valve assembly. It there is enough water pressure, the water pushes against the spring loaded horizontal mounted valve and allows the water to feed the water jet fittings on the black tank. If anything prevents the vertical valve disk from closing or you have low water pressure, the disk will not seat and you will be getting water coming out the top of the valve. The round top diverts the water down and it will go on the floor and leak out the trailer. It was a lot cheaper to buy it from the manufacturer than from Airstream.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Black Water Flush Check Valve.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	276195  
Old 11-29-2016, 02:31 PM   #27
The Myth

Currently Looking...
Killeen , Texas
you mentioned replacing the check valve with an elbow. I do NOT recommend that. And the plastic ones can fail under high pressure. Spend a bit extra and get the brass one. Acme Brass vacuum breaker. If you want to use an Airstream part number to ensure it fits the part number is 601441-102
JPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 02:44 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPAS View Post
you mentioned replacing the check valve with an elbow. I do NOT recommend that. And the plastic ones can fail under high pressure. Spend a bit extra and get the brass one. Acme Brass vacuum breaker. If you want to use an Airstream part number to ensure it fits the part number is 601441-102
Thanks. But can you enlighten me on why not to replace with an elbow? Searching Airforums yields different opinions on this, with some saying that it serves no purpose and they've never had a problem since replacing with an elbow. I don't doubt you, but since I'm not a plumber and I'm only going by the advice of perfect strangers, it's difficult to know who to believe.

Ryan
Old 11-29-2016, 02:57 PM   #29
The Myth

Currently Looking...
Killeen , Texas
It’s there to protect the water system you are hooking to. Should that pressure drop it could cause backpressure and contaminate the source you have hooked up to the flush. This is unlikely, yet possible. In housing it is a code violation to not be present. I’m not sure of the RVIA requirement but if Airstream put it there its likely because it was required. Poopygas venting back into the hose when you stop using pressure isn’t cool for the next person using that hose haha.
JPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:38 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPAS View Post
It’s there to protect the water system you are hooking to. Should that pressure drop it could cause backpressure and contaminate the source you have hooked up to the flush. This is unlikely, yet possible. In housing it is a code violation to not be present. I’m not sure of the RVIA requirement but if Airstream put it there its likely because it was required. Poopygas venting back into the hose when you stop using pressure isn’t cool for the next person using that hose haha.
Excellent point! hahaha, I'll come up with a different solution!
Old 12-02-2016, 09:35 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
I replaced my broken plastic Backflow Preventer with a Cash Acme Vacuum Breaker model V101 from Amazon.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 03:50 PM   #32

K , New York
Black tank rinse valve

We used the hookup for the black tank rinse; disaster.

Hooked up a garden hose and according to the users manual; turn on full force. My life experience and experience with our 2016 interstate prompter me to turn 1/2 force. Good thing as water started pouring out of the two rear doors. AHH. Brought it to Airstream repair and was told the valve was put in backwards (?). I haven’t had the guts to try again - use a spinner attachment and go directly through the toilet.
Dadasgirl4 is offline   Reply With Quote