Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2008, 09:55 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Palo Alto , California
Mystery of the beeping trailer

Last night was rough. My disclaimer is that I am braindead between 1:00am and 6:00am. Basically, my trailer started beeping periodically last night, waking me up. I couldn't figure out what was beeping, and the fact that it would beep maybe once overy 20 minutes was incredibly annoying because it was just enough time to drift off to sleep and too much time to locate the source of the noise. Over 4 hours I grew increasingly frustrated, each time trying something new - taking down the smoke detector, then the C02 detector, then flipping circuit breakers, then unplugging the external power, then turning off the gas, and finally (idiotically) using scissors to cut the connecting wires to the LP Gas detector. It turned out that the beeping was coming from the smoke detector, and that taking it down wasn't enough to disarm it - I needed to remove the dying battery.

Anway - I've tried reattaching the wires to the LP detector, but I can't get the thing to turn back on. I might need to buy a new one. Does anyone have suggestions on good LP detectors to get? Since I'm mechanically inept, I'd prefer to get something that is really easy to install - has anyone used one that runs off a disposable battery rather than being wired to the trailer battery?

By the way, I've been living in a 19' Safari for a year now and love it, although I'm completely new to RVs and really don't know what I'm doing. I haven't done any traveling, but will get a big enough truck to do so one day

Thanks a bunch.
qgmmon
gqmmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
If you go to Home Depot, you can get a propane detector that will plug directly into the wall socket. If you have a socket down near the floor this is ideal. Mine has a built in extension which allows me to use a socket that is high on the wall but mount the detector a few inches above the floor.

Kidde - Plug-In Carbon Monoxide Propane Natural Gas Alarm with Battery Back-up - 900-0113-05 - Home Depot Canada
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Isn't that a crazy-maker? We had one stuffed away in a closet and it started chirping like a cricket-drove us nuts and we've never recovered.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Been there with the beeping. The LP detector on my 04' Bambi liked to beep when the battery voltage got low and the heater was running.

If you cut the wires with it using scissors, there is a good chance that you shorted the circuit and popped the fuse. The fuse is located under the road side dinette seat in the forward access compartment, around the area of the pump. It is a glass inline fuse in a clear or white plastic case.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:23 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
Recently had a new LP detector installed here in Canada and it was only $150 including labour - just something to think about before you go spend 60$ on a plug in one.
redstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
In my previous RV, I found it interesting that the LP detector did not know the difference between propane and methane. My dog like to fall asleep in front of it, and depending on her diet (sometimes she was quite gaseous) would cause the detector to go off in the middle of the night. It took us a couple of times before we determined the cause!
Old 06-17-2008, 01:47 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
Ok that is pretty funny! i am surprised my LP detector is not going off constantly (tooty dog, baby and husband). Who farted?
redstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 07:53 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
On the other side of air freshness...the propellant in aerosol air fresheners will also set the things off. Ours is extremely sensitive.

We had a bad propane gas detector in our Bambi, too, at one point...it went off so often when the furnace kicked in, that our dogs finally began to associate the clicking of the furnace igniter with the gas alarm going off. So we had very unhappy, unnerved, shaking dogs for a long time... When they heard the igniter clicking, they'd start shaking in anticipation of the alarm going off. Finally, after many trips with few alarms, they are back to a point where the furnace can go on and they don't flinch.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:14 PM   #9
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Streamer View Post
In my previous RV, I found it interesting that the LP detector did not know the difference between propane and methane. My dog like to fall asleep in front of it, and depending on her diet (sometimes she was quite gaseous) would cause the detector to go off in the middle of the night. It took us a couple of times before we determined the cause!
How did you solve this? Put a small fan by the dog?
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:35 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
How did you solve this? Put a small fan by the dog?
Actually, she would have needed a LARGE fan! She liked to lay there because there was a rug there. We bought her a much more comfortable dog bed and put it in a different location. She was happy to move to the dog bed and we no longer had the problem.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:38 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Palo Alto , California
Wow! I'm thrilled to get such good responses on my first ever post. The story of CA Streamer's gaseous dog cracked me up.

I think I'm going to go with the Home Depot Kidde alarm for now, so I'll let you know if I have issues with it.
gqmmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:50 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
BTW - Welcome to the forum!
Good responses are the norm, sometimes they're even informative.
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:15 PM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt View Post
BTW - Welcome to the forum!
Good responses are the norm, sometimes they're even informative.
Dave

Yeah Dave...but ain't funny fun.

We got a great crew here for sure
Old 07-05-2018, 11:05 AM   #14

1988 34' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Mysterious beeping....

I have to chime in here. I looked up mysterious beeping in Airstream and found this thread. We are on our first trip in our 1988 34' Excella (affectionately known as Bella) from NJ to OR and back, in three weeks. Today is day 3 and we were pulled over at a Walmart in 'somewhere'Nebraska to buy something to rid ourselves of the smell that only a full black can provide. I gave a few spritzes of Febreeze to the offending bathroom, sprinkled some baking-soda based deodorizer on the floor and went out for a few minutes. As I stepped back in a regular, fairly loud, and annoying beeping began. We scrambled around trying to figure out where the beeping was coming from. Smoke alarm-nope. Gas detector- no gas on anywhere. We walked around scratching our heads wondering what to do and what impending disaster might be coming. Then, as mysteriously as it started, it stopped again. We locked Bella and hit the road, where I began my google search. It seems that indeed, the detector doesn't distinguish between propane and methane...and the air fresheners to get rid of the odors.
On the road, awaiting our next surprise. 😊
ExcellaBella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:26 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Many aerosol spray cans, including air fresheners, deodorant, hair spray, and the like, are pressurized using propane...and guess what the propane detector is highly sensitive to?

(The reason they use propane, and why they are now marked as 'flammable' is because Freon-based propellants were generally banned from use because of environmental concerns.)
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:39 PM   #16
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hi Excella. And surprises you shall have usually at those times least expected and may they all be little things to laugh at over the campfire. We also are in Somerset, NJ. If you are not members of the WBCCI you should consider it and the very active Watchung Unit. Was your trip to Oregon for the rally there ??? We do a lot of traveling but this year are closer to home with short trips planned. Perhaps we could think about lunch sometime when you get back home again.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcellaBella View Post
It seems that indeed, the detector doesn't distinguish between propane and methane...and the air fresheners to get rid of the odors.
On the road, awaiting our next surprise. 😊
I used a solvent to clean some glue off of tile in a RV. The propane detector went crazy! I read the fine print in the manual and it indicated the alarm may also detect solvents, alcohol, or other cleaning supplies.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote