Old 06-10-2020, 05:59 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
MEC Regulator Tank Switch Indicator?

Hi,

I replaced my Cavana regulator with an MEC MEGR-253H High Capacity regulator.

How does one tell when a tank has emptied and switched to the second tank? Looks like there is a little tiny window I can't see very clearly but looks all green and switch is to the original tank I switched on...I think....

Maybe a mirror inside the tank cowling to see better?

Thanks!

Trav

TravisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 06:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
The switch points to the tank that is being emptied. On the three versions of the same or very similar regulators with automatic switching we have had on our trailer, the indicator area turns half red when the tank, which the switch points to, is empty. Then the regulator automatically takes propane from the other, full, tank. Then it is time to move the switch to the full tank and refill the empty one.

When the indicator area has been fully red on our regulators, both tanks are empty. We found that out on our first trip with the trailer in 2002 in some very cold weather!

Tim

Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 06:45 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim A. View Post
The switch points to the tank that is being emptied. On the three versions of the same or very similar regulators with automatic switching we have had on our trailer, the indicator area turns half red when the tank, which the switch points to, is empty. Then the regulator automatically takes propane from the other, full, tank. Then it is time to move the switch to the full tank and refill the empty one.

When the indicator area has been fully red on our regulators, both tanks are empty. We found that out on our first trip with the trailer in 2002 in some very cold weather!

Tim
Thanks Tim!

So it's that little tiny window....

Man! I can't even see it it's so close to the cowling! I can see a dim green reflections...

I guess you have to remove the cowling to check... I'm gonna by a stick on mirror and put it in front and hope it stays put!

Trav
TravisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
I have a small, stainless steel "camping" mirror that I use. Holding it in my hand, I can change the angle to see the colors easily without taking off the tank cover.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 09:17 AM   #5
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Yep' I got tired of guess work. I realise that the regulator is automatic but I still wanted to have some idea of the tank status with out spending hundreds of dollar for halfa.. monitors that need batteries. Found SHINESTAR 15inch Upgraded Steel Braided 1/4 Inverted RV Propane Hose "with Gauge" - 2 Pack RV Pigtail Hose for 2-Stage Auto Changeover Regulator on Amazon. This works great and I am in "control" (I think)
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 10:13 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
You may be disappointed in the usefulness of a propane pressure gauge in telling you how much there is in the tank.

Check out this article for an explanation.

https://www.hunker.com/12000128/why-...ressure-gauges

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 12:26 PM   #7
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Thanks Greg for the article "Why LP tanks don't have pressure gauges". Well, as interesting as the article was, the last two 20# tank I bought had them built-in. The thing is, the general purpose is to have some idea. The reality is unless your tank lives on a scale you really don't know how much LP there IS in the tank. In saying that, I have found in real life practice the gauges ARE helpful just to give a heads Up. Of course these gauges are NOT a replacement for the Auto Regulator they are simply a visual indicator that has work for us over the years - disappointment IMHO is only on the level with expectation.
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 03:22 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
West Windsor , Vermont
I know that the empty tank weighs 23.5 pounds (itís stamped on the tank) and a full 30 pounds of propane weighs in at 53 +/- pounds tank and gas. Any weight less than that tells me how much propane is in tank. Using a bathroom scale, say the tank weighs 43 pounds...I would know that the tank is 2/3 full with 20 lbs of gas remaining .
Peterf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 05:55 PM   #9
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
On the Merc HD regulator from Marshal: If your are running a genny that's good to have the extra flow. Remember, when the red shows tank is empty. Even though the change over occurs automatically, the flow is reduced until you actually move the selector to the full tank. That is when you could get surprised if too many gas appliances are running.
guskmg

guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote