Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-09-2016, 09:47 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Opelika , Alabama
LP Tank switcher - how to install?

My recently purchased 1991 Excel 34' has two propane tanks on the front with what appears to be a manually operated valve controlling which tank is supplying propane to the RV. But above the stove, on the control panel, there's a rocker switch for LPG1 and LPG2. I'm in the beginning of a complete teardown and wonder how I can control the LGP source from that rocker switch rather than having to go outside. Currently there appears to be no wires running to the propane tank switcher dooflitchy. Here's some pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0773.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	257087   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0778.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	257088  

racecannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The control panel switch only allowed you to check the propane level in the tanks, not switch tanks. The original tanks (apparently changed now, as there is no wire to the tank you say) had gauges in them. After the valve systems were changed to the new OPD type, for a while there were no gauges available. I think tanks with electric gauges are now available though.

But it never allowed switching tanks by remote control.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:50 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
our 1999 34' has the 'gauge' type and pressing the button you mention, gives a fairly accurate LP fuel level. If your tanks were replaced with NON gauged type, then someone may have 'tucked' the wire ends somewhere... or cut them.. Have a look under the frame...

I added a SAE insulated and keyed two wire connectors.. look like small trailer lighting connections.. makes it easy to disconnect the tanks for refill. I believe LP1 is the Street side, LP2 is the Curb side..

We also have the same dual supply, manual selection valve and regulator assembly you do. The 'lever' points to the active supply input. You can install an "automatic switch over" which will swap to the full tank when the pressure drops on the active tank.

You CAN buy the tanks with the sensors from AS dealer ... but there is a far cheaper way... PM me for details.. (I have no financial or personal interest in the tank company.. just trying to save folks $$ and increase satisfaction)
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:22 AM   #4
Sneaky

Currently Looking...
2002 31' Land Yacht 30
Indian River , Michigan
I am looking to do the same thing on my 2002, 75th Anniversary Landyacht. Everything is currently working fine, but we use it even when parked at home and it would be so much more convenient to run off of external tanks when parked and save the factory installed tank for travel or back up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Sue
sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote