Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-13-2007, 12:23 AM   #1
The Aluminum Falcon

1973 31' Sovereign
Thousand Oaks , California
LP tank mounting advice - '73 Sovereign

Greetings all,

I have been treated like family on this forum and for that I thank all of you whom have helped me. I am in the final throws of getting this old girl on the road T- 4 days and counting. I have the LP tanks (40 lbs each I believe) to get secured yet. The dilemma is that the center rod (don't know the part #) is loose and will not hold down the tanks with the batwing shaped cast aluminum piece (also don't know the part # on that) but spoke with Airstream about a "pin rod" part #310002which is supposed to hold that center rod in place so I can tighten the tanks into place. Anyone have any advice for me out there? I just can’t believe it could be that simple, but I have been pleasantly surprised time and time again on the simple and efficient design of these machines. Yet if anyone out there has first hand experience in this area I am always listening, it saves time and often money, Thanks and as always...

May the force be with you!

The Aluminum Falcon

(but you can call me AL)
Al Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 01:31 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
On some units there is a pin that ges through the female piece the rod is connected to at the bottom. If that's it it's easy. The hardest part would be to find something to use as a pin. You can always substitute standard threaded rod and put on a nut and washer, it's the same thread.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:25 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
Al-

The pin they're mentioning may be the steel "roll pin" which is driven through a hole in the rod holder and then through the rod. If that pin is all you need, you could find one of those without going through Airstream. I don't recall what size it is, but it's probably in the 1/8" range. You would drive the pin through the hole using a hammer and a punch. They fit VERY tight. I have been almost unable to remove them from my trailers once they've been in there awhile. Do a forums search and you may find more info.

Another alternative would be to replace the rod with an all-thread stainless steel rod of the appropriate size (1/2"???) and use nuts and washers to tighten it down underneath. I've done this and it's worked very well, too.

Either way, make sure those bottles are held fast!

Good luck!
WBCCI #8481
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 08:32 AM   #4
The Aluminum Falcon

1973 31' Sovereign
Thousand Oaks , California
Thanks much guys! I seem to be on the right track, I think that the piece from Airstream was like under a dollar or two so no big deal getting it from them, at least I know it will fit.

May the force be with you!

The Aluminum Falcon

(but you can call me Al)
Al Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 02:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
These could serve as a replacement or supplement for securing the LPG tank rod. They come in threaded and unthreaded varieties.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.png
Views:	138
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	37254   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 2.png
Views:	123
Size:	262.5 KB
ID:	37255  

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote