Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2017, 05:42 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Lp tank check feedback

For those that have had the tank check for a while, do you recommend, is the monitor panel working right? Would I be ok to just get the sensors and use with phone, assuming there is an accuracy problem with panel? Thx
Old 07-03-2017, 05:49 PM   #2
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Lp tank check feedback

Accuracy is the same wth phone or monitor. Actually I think the monitor only reports in 20% increments and phone app is in 1% increments, but ultimately either device will simply report back what the sensor is sending.

I use them and like them. No problems to report here. Takes the guesswork away regarding how much fuel you have on board.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:47 PM   #3
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
I didn't bother to hook up the monitor and am just using my iPhone. Seems to work well. One question I have is how long will the batteries in the sensors last? Since I just installed the sensors last week I'll have to wait and see I guess.

It's nice to not have to guess how much gas is in the tanks!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have my senders synced to both my iPhone and iPad. I did not buy the monitor. Only issue I have had was a Tank 1 sender that was eating batteries. It came with a dead battery and 100% discharged 2 in 2 months. The other sender was still showing full battery charge. I called the company and they quickly sent me a new replacement sender and the redesigned aluminum feet for both tanks.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:36 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
What LP tank check are you referring to in this thread?

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:38 AM   #6
Site Team

2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by greghoro View Post
What LP tank check are you referring to in this thread?

Greg
This one. http://mopeka.com/products/
Old 07-04-2017, 12:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
What Hans said, that's what I asked about.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:29 PM   #8
Giovanni

2015 28' International
St Helena , California
Hi
Thanks for the info. Does this system work on Aluminum tanks? I see they have magnets to attach to the bottom...

Thanks
Jbuccola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 01:33 PM   #9
Site Team

2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
I don't see how this specific sensor would work on aluminum tanks as they require steel for the magnets to attach.

Not sure if there is a way around this issue.
Old 07-04-2017, 03:43 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
I don't see how this specific sensor would work on aluminum tanks as they require steel for the magnets to attach.

Not sure if there is a way around this issue.
There are few problems that Duct Tape can not fix. I would try Gorilla Duct Tape. That stuff will just about stick to anything.

http://mopeka.com
The company has excellant customer service and can be contacted at 800-874-3271.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 07-04-2017, 04:15 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
I put the Mopeka System on my two 30 gallon tanks a couple of months ago and love it. Like previous posters said, it takes the guesswork out of the last thing that needs monitoring in the Airstream.

Customer service is great as they sent me two Tank 1's initially. When I called, they immediately sent me the missing Tank 2 monitor.

As for sticking with duct tape, I'd contact Mopeka first. There was a small piece of film over the magnet that had come off and the sender didn't work. Once I noticed it and put the film back over the magnet, everything worked properly. I guess it is pretty sensitive.
abqdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 06:25 PM   #12
Retired paddler

1993 29' Excella
Brighton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
Thanks for the link. Gonna have to try this on my two horizontal tanks.
4mer Paddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:33 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I have my senders synced to both my iPhone and iPad. I did not buy the monitor. Only issue I have had was a Tank 1 sender that was eating batteries. It came with a dead battery and 100% discharged 2 in 2 months. The other sender was still showing full battery charge. I called the company and they quickly sent me a new replacement sender and the redesigned aluminum feet for both tanks.
What kind of Aluminum feet! New to me. I also have aluminum tanks and want to attach the sensors to the bottom of the tanks. What to do?

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:23 AM   #14
Site Team

2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
To provide clearance for the sensors that are attached to the bottom of the tanks "feet" (actually spacers) are provided with the sensor kit. The original "feet" were made of hard plastic and apparently they didn't hold up well during real world use. so the company realized the error and will provide aluminum replacement "feet" if you call them and make the request.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:26 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have had my Tank ✔️for just few months. My original feet were a soft spongy rubber not hard plastic. I would expect that they are shipping new sensors with the new aluminum bases. Current old stock probably still have the soft rubber feet.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:27 AM   #16
Site Team

2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I have had my Tank ✔️for just few months. My original feet were a soft spongy rubber not hard plastic. I would expect that they are shipping new sensors with the new aluminum bases. Current old stock probably still have the soft rubber feet.
I stand corrected when I said the feet were made of hard plastic. I didn't really look at them knowing that the aluminum feet were on the way!
Old 09-08-2017, 02:41 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Another Tank Check user that is pretty happy, I have a Sport 22FB which has no avenue of LP monitoring and the 20# tanks are pretty convenient, as worst case I can exchange them. I ordered two Tank Check sensors with a monitor, actually I had ordered the kit with the monitor and an additional sensor not realizing the "kit" actually had 2 sensors in it. I used the 3rd sensor on my home propane grill, which didn't require spacers as the tank sets in a slide-out tray that has plenty of space below it.

I had a heck of a time trying to get the sensors to work on the AS though, as I'd get it position and it would be fine...but as soon as I went to set it back into the tray the rubber feet would all off, or they would over-compress and the sensor would stop reading. I contacted Tank Check, and their customer service was top notch and agreed to send me the other replacement spacers.

However I decided to look for other options and found the Tank Tire and ordered that to use as a spacer instead. It fits over the entire circumference of the tank "foot". It enlarged the foot too much to fit into my tank tray as-is, so I just grabbed a pair of vice grips and widened the top of the tray a little bit. The tanks are quite snug in their place, the sensors work, and I don't have to worry about being able to easily get the spacers back in the right place if I ever did an exchange...in fact now I don't have to worry about setting the tank down wrong and damaging the sensor while getting a refill either.

I mounted my Tank Check monitor above my Micro Pulse monitor and have the tanks programmed so that the curb side monitor button corresponds to the curb side tank. Obviously you could just skip the monitor entirely, but I like having the trailer be self sufficient and not dependent upon *my* phone.

No affiliation with either company, but I like to share good products with others. http://www.tanktire.com
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 07:56 AM   #18
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Very happy with my Mopeka system... and I too used the tank tire. It looks like Mopeka has come up with their own version which may be as good and is quite a bit cheaper.

Haven't used it but it's here:
https://www.amazon.com/Mopeka-Tank-C.../dp/B07HQZRR9F

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:18 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I know Airstreamers like hi-tech, but try this:
Pour a cup of warm/hot water over the tank, then slide your hand down the side. You will feel a line perfectly. (More than you'd believe.)
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote