Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-08-2021, 02:50 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
LP port hoses for: Coleman stove? Generator?

I realize Airstream's intent in adding the low-pressure port to the trailers was so that we could use the front two propane tanks w/ a grill (like the Weber).

We have our old school 'classic' Coleman grill that we have used for, decades. It is one that uses the little canisters (that have become insanely expensive), via the little arm that screws into the side of the stove (see pic).

The hose that is on Coleman's site is a high pressure hose, not a low-pressure hose. Can anyone point me in the right direction to finding what hose I need to use our stove with the lp port?

And while asking....

We have a generator on the way: it's an A-iPower from Sam's (we don't have a local Costco's here, sadly): the reason why I went with this one was the price point, but also, it is natively a dual-fuel that can use propane without having to have a retrofit kit installed. Thing is, the hose that's coming with it has the regulator on it, for the usual attachment straight to a propane tank, but, again, I'd prefer to use the low-pressure port.

Although I picture both hoses being the same one one end to attach to the low-pressure port, I'm unsure of what the end that goes to the generator would look like since it's not here yet, but I don't expect it'd be the same as what the stove needs, so I expect I'm buying two different hoses.

Anyone able to point me in the right direction?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coleman-stove.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	390260  
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 06:11 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2020 30’ Globetrotter
Ramara , Ontario

Go to Amazon and look for “Coleman Low Pressure Adapter”. I found several on Amazon.ca .

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0836HVJM3/...JE1MS034FZG6GN

It will likely use the same hose as your generator so one hose fits all.

Kevin
KSA63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 06:18 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Thumbs up

Thanks! I just wasn't using the right search terms, I kept coming up w/ hoses w/ regulators... I just needed the right combo to get the searches to work right...
WBCCI #1051
Old 03-09-2021, 06:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I have a conversion kit on my generator and it came with a large regulator that connects to the tank. I don't believe you can run the generator with the low-power port on the trailer. Part of the process is adjusting the regulator to get the generating operating at the correct power level. You cannot adjust the low power port on the trailer.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Lemme see if I can get a quote from another thread to work right here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Hey, guys, just a quick FYI: This is a *Very* old thread. The question of whether a propane generator on the low pressure port works in real life has long been resolved. The answer is, emphatically, "Yes." Please feel free to read through the entire thread before jumping in with any further responses.
I think it's pretty well established that the right generator can run off of the low-pressure port.

It's just that I've not been able to find much mention of anything other than mostly Honda, or a Yamaha, Predator, or Champion.... this A-iPower isn't mentioned here much at all. But as it was a better price point AND was already set up for propane, thought it was worth a try....

Arrives tomorrow; am looking into hoses still...
WBCCI #1051
Old 03-09-2021, 09:05 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNBright View Post
Lemme see if I can get a quote from another thread to work right here:

I think it's pretty well established that the right generator can run off of the low-pressure port.

It's just that I've not been able to find much mention of anything other than mostly Honda, or a Yamaha, Predator, or Champion.... this A-iPower isn't mentioned here much at all. But as it was a better price point AND was already set up for propane, thought it was worth a try....

Arrives tomorrow; am looking into hoses still...

My Champion dual fuel works fine on the low pressure Airstream port. I modified the OEM propane harness to let me feed the big regulator from the OEM setup directly from the Airstream port.

Name:	IMG_4709.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	481.0 KB
ID:	390308

This is the Champion big regulator that connects to the inlet on the generator. The extension hose is in the background. 3/8” quick connector is what I used. No adjustments required, snd the generator runs perfectly.

Name:	IMG_4730.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	583.7 KB
ID:	390309

I also added a quick connector to the Champion’s high pressure regulator so I can run it from a portable tank.

Name:	IMG_4731.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	387.8 KB
ID:	390310

A few adapters from the big box home improvement store snd a lot of yellow Teflon tape.

See the “Which generator” thread to see more details.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 08:23 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois

Regarding low pressure hose for stove

While I can’t say so for sure, it is highly unlikely you will find such a hose. Low pressure ports were virtually nonexistent in RV’s 20 or more years ago. Because of this, there was no need for Coleman to design their equipment to run at that pressure. I have an older Coleman propane stove than yours that I tried to adapt and found that the Coleman provided regulator output was many times greater than the low pressure port. The burner would barely light. Plus, the connector going into the stove is most likely Coleman proprietary.

So, unless Coleman offered such a hose as an accessory (check the original owners manual), you are out of luck.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 03:58 PM   #8
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
A couple of notes:
Yes, you can run your genny on the low pressure ports. They are 11-13 inches of water column as is the first stage of your genny supplied regulator. The large 2nd stage regulator on your genny will be damaged if you feed it more pressure than that. Always reduce the pressure to 11-13".
If you have a large generator you may need to change your trailer regulator to a MERC HD regulator. They look the same, cost a little more, but the output is much higher especially during automatic changer over before you turn the selector to the full tank. Go on line and look for brass fittings and propane quick connects. I like the black plastic handle ball valve shut off kind. You can't connect or disconnect them if the handle is not on. Be sure the ball valve QCs are full port. Meaning when open it flows the same as the hose does. "uscarb.com" has the hoses, but I'm not sure if they have the black plastic handle QCs. My Yamaha 6300 runs fine on the above set up.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 09:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by greghoro View Post
Regarding low pressure hose for stove

While I can’t say so for sure, it is highly unlikely you will find such a hose. Low pressure ports were virtually nonexistent in RV’s 20 or more years ago. Because of this, there was no need for Coleman to design their equipment to run at that pressure. I have an older Coleman propane stove than yours that I tried to adapt and found that the Coleman provided regulator output was many times greater than the low pressure port. The burner would barely light. Plus, the connector going into the stove is most likely Coleman proprietary.

So, unless Coleman offered such a hose as an accessory (check the original owners manual), you are out of luck.

Greg

Ok, so to revisit this half of my question......

Although it would have been nice to have used a single hose for both uses, the short of it is, the port on the generator is different than the port on the stove, so, that was out. I did find two appropriate hoses, one for each as needed. The generator didn't arrive with oil and some other tasks came up, so I've yet to get the generator fired up. But, as far as the Coleman stove goes....

Well, drat. Again, I actually did find the 'right' hose, in that it has a 1lb disposable propane-sized fitting on the one end, and a male quick-connect end on the other end, that snaps right onto the AS's low pressure size. So, to answer the question, such a hose does exist.

The drat part was, I got it all set up, and.... nada. It was as if there was no gas coming out.

But, that may have been the case! This was my first attempt at ever using the low-pressure port on my AS: I can't say that I've verified if it actually works or not. Second, it'd been awhile since I'd even ran my stove, I suppose it's possible that if I used a 1lb bottle, it might not've fired up... I should have taken a moment to try that, but didn't think to do that verification until after I'd packed it back up.

Will admit, I'm more eager to ensure the generator will run, so that'll be a task for this week. And, I might try firing up the stove to verify it works, too.

I'll also say, I'd happened across some of them, the 1lb bottles, for sale recently, and was jaw-dropped over how much they cost these days. I'll admit, I don't know that I'd buy anything that would run off of them instead of a normal tank anymore...

So, in short: hoses exist, but the jury's still out. For now. More to come.
WBCCI #1051
Old 03-18-2021, 06:48 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Daytona Beach , Florida
I'm still a bit confused, so if you will, please take me by the hand and explain this to me. Let's put the generator aside. I have a low-pressure port coming out of my 30lbs regulated tanks on the AS. From this port I may want to run a Weber Q grill, maybe a Blackstone griddle, Coleman stove, maybe an Outland fire pit. Not all at once, but maybe one or two at a time, using a "t" of some sorts. I think I'd need at least a 10' and a 20' hose, for different applications. Please tell me what I need to buy to make this all possible. The end result I want is to be free of those little green tanks. Thanks in advance.
nitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 08:52 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Nitzo, I’m still working on it myself....

Ok, so to work through the next part of this:
New propane powered generator had arrived. Opened it up, put the oil in, closed it back up. Pulled out a 20lb tank, hooked up the regulator to the tank and the other end of the hose to the generator, fired it up, no problem. Cut it off, disconnected the line from the generator, ran the other line I ordered that has the male quick-connect between the generator and the low-pressure port. And.... nothing. So, I’m going to have to investigate my low-pressure port. I *know* it should be able to run the generator. Even if my old Coleman won’t run due to its own regulator, I suspect a Camp Chef or a Blackstone should work at least (Airstream intended cit for a Weber after all, didn’t they?).

So, we’ll be gone for a bit, but once back, I’ll figure out about my low-pressure port.
WBCCI #1051
Old 03-19-2021, 09:13 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2020 19' Caravel
Ammon , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitzo View Post
I'm still a bit confused, so if you will, please take me by the hand and explain this to me. Let's put the generator aside. I have a low-pressure port coming out of my 30lbs regulated tanks on the AS. From this port I may want to run a Weber Q grill, maybe a Blackstone griddle, Coleman stove, maybe an Outland fire pit. Not all at once, but maybe one or two at a time, using a "t" of some sorts. I think I'd need at least a 10' and a 20' hose, for different applications. Please tell me what I need to buy to make this all possible. The end result I want is to be free of those little green tanks. Thanks in advance.
First, start with something like this:
DOZYANT 24 feet Low Pressure Hose https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W4YY2LS?

Then, add this if you want to supply multiple loads at once (and get another hose):
DOZYANT 1/4'' RV Propane Quick Connect Y Splitter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MNXDXNC?

Lastly, use this to replace the regulated hose on your stove/grill:
DOZYANT 1/4'' RV Propane Quick Connect
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082683LGQ?
OutdoorIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 09:35 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNBright View Post
Well, drat. Again, I actually did find the 'right' hose, in that it has a 1lb disposable propane-sized fitting on the one end, and a male quick-connect end on the other end, that snaps right onto the AS's low pressure size. So, to answer the question, such a hose does exist.

While such a hose you describe exists, as you can see, it doesn't work in your application (I'm assuming the stove). The 1lb disposable propane-sized fitting on your stove is expecting high pressure propane (which is what comes from the 1 lb bottle) which is then fed through the stove regulator to reduce the pressure. You are passing already regulated low pressure propane through another regulator.

Greg
Old 03-19-2021, 09:47 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorIdaho View Post
Lastly, use this to replace the regulated hose on your stove/grill:
DOZYANT 1/4'' RV Propane Quick Connect
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082683LGQ?

To further amplify on this last point. This part is to be used to replace the regulator on your appliance.

For instance, see the following two links on how to convert a Weber Q to use low pressure port:

https://mbsturgis.com/products/weber-q-quick-disconnect-deluxe-conversion-kit/

Greg
Old 03-20-2021, 07:56 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by greghoro View Post
While such a hose you describe exists, as you can see, it doesn't work in your application (I'm assuming the stove). The 1lb disposable propane-sized fitting on your stove is expecting high pressure propane (which is what comes from the 1 lb bottle) which is then fed through the stove regulator to reduce the pressure. You are passing already regulated low pressure propane through another regulator.
Yup, the stove. I suppose, I need to relegate the old Coleman stove to 1lb bottle use only as it was intended, and then get a more modern stove that can be used w/ the low-pressure port.
WBCCI #1051
Old 03-24-2021, 05:33 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Newberry , Florida
Low pressure port valve

I’m not attempting to be a jerk, but did you open the valve on the low pressure port? It is a small handle that needs to be parallel with the port to let the gas flow.
BagODoughnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 01:22 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
I had an issue with very low pressure to my grill as well. I have taken off the regulator the grill came with and hooked the hose directly to the grill. It has worked perfectly for over a year now. Maybe 60 meals prepared on it so far.
1 inline regulator is enough.
Mikebrady62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 09:34 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2020 19' Bambi
2019 16' Sport
Worthington , Massachusetts
A-1i Power Generator and low pressure port

LN Bright,
I am interested in purchasing the same A-iPower generator as you have bought and hopefully use it with the low pressure port. I am very interested in hearing your experiences with the generator and also whether you have gotten it to work with the low pressure report. Does the generator seem well built? Does it have good functionality? Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.
Searching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 09:50 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2020 19' Bambi
2019 16' Sport
Worthington , Massachusetts
LN Bright,
One more question. In your opinion, is the A-1iPower generator sufficiently quiet? I know it is not rated as quiet as the Honda's and Yamaha's, but was it disturbingly loud?
Searching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 08:48 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by BagODoughnut View Post
I’m not attempting to be a jerk, but did you open the valve on the low pressure port? It is a small handle that needs to be parallel with the port to let the gas flow.
Apologies for the delay in replying, we were gone camping, with very poor cell coverage.

Yes, I inserted the male end of the quick-release hose into the Airstream’s port, and turned the handle... nada. I’ve not yet investigated it further, as to why I had no gas flow.
WBCCI #1051