Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2015, 05:16 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Quite , Washington
LP light?

I just bought a 67 overlander and the manual tells me it has at least one gas powered light. Can anyone tell me about this? Which one it is, how to use it? Judging from the manual diagram, it appears to be the main light over the kitchen area, but nothing happens when I click the switch. The rest of the LP system appears to be working great. Anyone know how I can check it? All thoughts appreciated!
Add_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 05:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
If you actually have one they are pretty obvious. Do you have any lights that look anything like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	81
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	249790  

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:55 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Stevens Point , Wisconsin
Hey Add Man
We have a Humphrey gas light. You just turn on the valve and light a match that ignites the gas within the mantle. Works just like Colman lantern. You light and heat.
Tim
Beaker63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:34 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Quite , Washington
Aha, thanks and especially for the pic. Of course I would recognize that if I saw one, I know propane lights generally... I suppose this means I shouldn't necessarily trust my original manual then. Bummer, I was hoping!
Old 10-06-2015, 07:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
They still make them if you wanted to put one in.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
My Tradewind has a Paulin gas light. You can still get them:

PAULIN OUTDOOR PRODUCTS - INDOOR HEATERS
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 09:01 AM   #7
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Add_Man View Post
I just bought a 67 overlander and the manual tells me it has at least one gas powered light. Can anyone tell me about this? Which one it is, how to use it? Judging from the manual diagram, it appears to be the main light over the kitchen area, but nothing happens when I click the switch. The rest of the LP system appears to be working great. Anyone know how I can check it? All thoughts appreciated!
Hello Add Man

A few facts to consider

1) Gas lights were typically sold as an extra-cost option and were available on many makes of trailers and truck campers through about 1970. During this era there were dozens of optional items, and the manuals were usually written to cover a typical build with little or no mention of what items are optional.

2) All the original lights I've seen were made by Humphery, and were generally similar to the Paulin lights being sold today, except that they had a cylindrical shade instead of the globe-shaped shade now being used. Parts are available through Lehman's and other sources.

3) The reason they were used is that battery charging was much more of a problem with readily available RV technology of the day, making 12v lighting impractical for boondocking. Some early 12v converters did not charge the battery, and the commutator-type generators (and towards the end of the era, the low-amp mechanically regulated alternators) in 50s/60s automobiles and light trucks could not charge a trailer battery reliably

4) If you get one, be aware that it will give off a good deal of heat while operating. They are mainly useful for late fall trips when the sun sets early and it's cold.

Unless you have one for reasons of authenticity, the various 12v lighting options are probably more practical.

I put one in my (stick) house 10 years ago to provide light during power failures. They're still useful for that, because they are completely independent of the electrical system.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:02 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Quite , Washington
Thanks much jammer! I am thinking about putting a propane light in, if I can find a non-destructive way to install it. The airstream is going to be my primary residence and will be parked off-grid, so while I am going to try to get together a simple solar setup (seems like a gimme, given the already in place 12v system), here in the cloudy northwest a propane light all of a sudden does become a practical addition.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
I was hoping to add one to my trailer as well. But I really don't want the gas line going up the wall exposed (and I understand the reason it must be exposed - not in a concealed space).

Would it be possible to place one of those small propane canisters (Coleman lantern or stove type) on the opposite side of the panel that I'd be mounting the lantern to? I'm guessing the canister is "high pressure" and the lamp is designed for low pressure - correct? Is there a miniature regulator out there, that would drop the canister pressure? Or can these lanterns handle the pressure with the valve acting as the regulator (like a coleman lantern)?

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote