Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-17-2015, 04:16 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Austin , Texas
LP gas tank handle stuck in closed position

Hello all, I am somewhat of a newbie to these forums. The on/off valve handle to one of my LP gas tanks is stuck in the closed position. I have tried with the tools that I have to dial it open but cannot. Does anyone have an idea what might be going on and/or what the fix might be. This happened once before and I had an airstream dealer open it, but I neglected to ask them how they did it. Any advice is appreciated!
flyingfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 04:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
You might want to contact a propane seller & ask for advise.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 05:07 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfishy View Post
The on/off valve handle to one of my LP gas tanks is stuck in the closed position. I have tried with the tools that I have to dial it open but cannot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjkq View Post
You might want to contact a propane seller & ask for advise.
You absolutely do not want to break anything trying to open it, so if you can't open it by hand, don't mess with it. Even an "empty" propane cylinder is full of vapor and makes an excellent bomb. A propane seller will have non-sparking tools to use on a stuck valve so the problem doesn't blow up in your face— literally.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:15 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Austin , Texas
Thanks mrjkq, I will contact a propane dealer.
flyingfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 06:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Not a bad idea to have somebody else do it. There is probably little chance that you'd create a leak. However, the valve stems on those valves are surprisingly small and made of brass: It isn't that hard to break the stem off. And then you do have a bit of a problem on your hands.

If this turns out to be a consistent problem hereafter, your best best may be simply to have your dealer replace the valve with a new one.

Lynn
Old 11-18-2015, 02:01 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
gainesville , Virginia
Don't the off/on valves on prophane tanks turn in the opposite direction of most (waster spigot, etc.) valves? Could this be the problem?
GEEEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 02:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEEEER View Post
Don't the off/on valves on prophane tanks turn in the opposite direction of most (waster spigot, etc.) valves? Could this be the problem?
You may be thinking of the POL fittings on valves, which are left-hand threaded. (Note that the newer ACME fittings have the large, right-hand threads, but these valves also always include internal, left-hand threads as well.)

Acme or POL valve required for RV propane cylinders & cylinder re-certification - RV Basics .com

Lynn