Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-26-2022, 07:54 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Anchorage , Alaska
LP gas line

I am picking up a project started many years ago, and can’t quite remember how things were put together.

I am working on a 1963 Bambi

As I recall, there was room for propane tanks on the tongue, and a hard gas line running outside the belly pan to the back of the trailer, where the line came up through the floor to the appliances.

What should I used for that hard line under the belly pan ? Is that 1/2”-5/8” soft coiled copper pipe ? What is the best material to use ? Is outside the belly pan, still the industry standard ?
Aktundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 08:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktundra View Post
I am picking up a project started many years ago, and can’t quite remember how things were put together.

I am working on a 1963 Bambi

As I recall, there was room for propane tanks on the tongue, and a hard gas line running outside the belly pan to the back of the trailer, where the line came up through the floor to the appliances.

What should I used for that hard line under the belly pan ? Is that 1/2”-5/8” soft coiled copper pipe ? What is the best material to use ? Is outside the belly pan, still the industry standard ?

⅜” copper is what you want. You will need a good flaring tool. Yes, these lines need to be installed under the belly pan.

Natural gas rises and dissipates, but propane is heavier than air. If you have a leak, you want the gas to drop and be blown away by the breeze. Having it trapped between the belly pan and the floor doesn’t seem like a good thing.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 08:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Like Albert said, outside the belly pan for the trunk line and connections. It’s required. I’m helping a friend of mine now renovating a 63 Bambi. We’re not to the propane installation yet, but close. There is plenty of room on the tongue for a couple of tanks. On our other two trailers, we used a 1/2” in trunk line and installed valves where we would T off with 3/8” to each appliance . I think we used soft L-copper. I like a valve below the belly pan for each appliance. You are only talking about a stove top, hot water heater and possibly a fridge. I did protect all copper lines underneath by splitting water hose and tie-wrapped around the lines. Hope this helps. Good luck. (Oh, I did use double flares due to vibration. Ew test and haven’t had a leak. Knock on wood).
Bubba L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 11:41 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Anchorage , Alaska
Pulling up my old thread

Are there any videos on how to attach the copper hard line to the regulator ? And I guess it will be a similar process to attach the copper hardline to flexible lines & appliances.
Old 03-19-2023, 11:13 AM   #5
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Pulling up my old thread

Are there any videos on how to attach the copper hard line to the regulator ? And I guess it will be a similar process to attach the copper hardline to flexible lines & appliances.
My copper line connects to a flex line, and the flex line connects to the regulator.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 01:58 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Anchorage , Alaska
Thanks richard5933, but that still leaves me with the question, how to attach a hard copper line to: a flex line, appliance, regulator. I’ve got to stop by a shop that does hydraulic fittings for another of my projects. I’ll bet they attach hard lines to all kinds of stuff. I’ll ask them about this as well.
Old 03-19-2023, 03:30 PM   #7
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Thanks richard5933, but that still leaves me with the question, how to attach a hard copper line to: a flex line, appliance, regulator. I’ve got to stop by a shop that does hydraulic fittings for another of my projects. I’ll bet they attach hard lines to all kinds of stuff. I’ll ask them about this as well.
Might be better going to a propane shop rather than a hydraulic shop - they use different fittings on propane lines. Connecting a flex line to copper lines is pretty common in the propane world, and the guy at the shop in Milwaukee I went to didn't hesitate when I asked for something similar to what you're asking - he went to the back and came back with a handful of parts.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 05:56 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Anchorage , Alaska
Thanks