Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2020, 05:52 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Norcross , Georgia
Leak at tank connection

I just refilled one of my 40lb tanks on a ‘19 30 Classic for the first time and I have a small amount of propane venting from the back of the green connection that screws into the tank. It is coming from what appears to be some sort of venting valve built into the back of the green connection.

Is that normal or has the connection gone bad?

Thank you!
PaulR-GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:10 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Safari
Denver , North Carolina
A little venting after a refill is just OK. But if you continue to smell gas, it's time to replace the hose. Easy fix I suggest you replace the with braided lines.
mbubbaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
I think you are referring to the fill vent. A flat head screw driver head on the vent plug. It is used to aid in filling the tanks especially in warmer weather by allowing the propane vapor to vent out rather than failing to fully fill the tank or wait for the vapor to cool and condense.

Anyway nothing on the tank head and connections should be leaking at all when tight. Can you tighten the plugs and fittings and stop the leak? If not you will need to replace the tank head.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:16 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Norcross , Georgia
The leaking is not from the tank but from the back of the rubber connection hose’s green screw-on connector to the tank.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:30 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR-GA View Post
I just refilled one of my 40lb tanks on a ‘19 30 Classic for the first time and I have a small amount of propane venting from the back of the green connection that screws into the tank. It is coming from what appears to be some sort of venting valve built into the back of the green connection.

Is that normal or has the connection gone bad?

Thank you!
It's probably the connection. You can buy the soapy spray and keep it in the propane cover of make up a batch with dish soap. Few drops in a little water and spray it on and it will bubble at leak.

In my case it was not the hose but the small rubber washer behind the green screw on had dried out and cracked. This fails quick! Brand new AS I bought a couple weeks ago had stiff lines and cracking washers. AS must spec very cheap ones for this.

Give the hoses a little shake they should not be stiff; if so replace. Braided or quality rubber ~$10 each. May need adaptors...

Good luck!
Rounder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
The leaking is not from the tank but from the back of the rubber connection hose’s green screw-on connector to the tank.

Time for new propane connection pigtails. Mine had similar issues after 13 years. Rubber propane hose from my regulator also needed a new one.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 06:02 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Norcross , Georgia
Thanks, in looking at ordering new pigtails, I'm seeing a few different types of inlet and outlet connection types (Male NPT vs MIF Outlet, POL vs Type 1 Inlet)--can someone help me with what version I need to order for a '19 classic with 40lb tanks?
Old 03-29-2020, 07:00 AM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Thanks, in looking at ordering new pigtails, I'm seeing a few different types of inlet and outlet connection types (Male NPT vs MIF Outlet, POL vs Type 1 Inlet)--can someone help me with what version I need to order for a '19 classic with 40lb tanks?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F1QRTCK..._t1_B0014E3MSS
Old 03-29-2020, 10:00 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
If you haven't ordered yet, it could be some trash stuck to the mating surfaces the little part of the connection that looks like a vent allows the seal and check valve area to vent more safely when the connection is being made or broken so any leak from the mating surface will come out there. Clean the mating surfaces gently with a scuff pad or some steel wool and reconnect. If it still leaks then replace the pigtail.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:21 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Norcross , Georgia
Thanks everyone!
Old 03-29-2020, 02:02 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Time for new propane connection pigtails. Mine had similar issues after 13 years. Rubber propane hose from my regulator also needed a new one.
Yup, mine failed only after 3 years, replaced them - easy fix. But as others have stated, used a soapy solution to make sure that is exactly where the leak is, and then check again after your fix.
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 07:32 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Leak at tank connection

And, if you use Teflon tape, use the YELLOW one. It’s good for propane or gasoline. The white stuff is water ONLY.

Always check for leaks with soap solution as Doc Foster quite correctly points out. Even when you put the new ones on. Some new ones may have leaks at the crimps.

All the stuff is available at big box home improvement stores.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:55 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:

If you need new hoses on a 2019 model, aren't they part of the 3 year warranty?
Old 03-30-2020, 10:10 AM   #14
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
And, if you use Teflon tape, use the YELLOW one. It’s good for propane or gasoline. The white stuff is water ONLY.
Really?
They are both PTFE tape, the yellow it denser, so you can, in a pinch, just wrap the white more.
It's yellow for ID.

I'm with AW...the hoses are easy to be replace, but hard to believe it's not an install warranty concern.
Bob
🇺🇸
Old 03-30-2020, 11:20 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Corona , California
At my store the yellow Teflon is marked as usable for gasoline, propane, and natural gas, the white is not.

The white Teflon leaks with just compressed air.

Whatever the difference is, it’s not just the thickness.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:51 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
You're correct rmkrum, just as Bob said, the difference other than the color is the density. While it is thicker, its more densely packed so it's not just a matter of double wrapping. Being more dense allows it to have higher pressure and temperature ratings, and it is far less permeable so less likely to be displaced because you get twice as much material in the thread gaps for the same area.

For low pressure applications, triple or quadruple wrapping white is fine, also as Bob indicated.