Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2021, 01:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Summerville , SC
I've got gas! I mean leaking pigtails again.

So I seem to be on a regular schedule of replacing propane pigtails about every two years. Anybody got any suggestions of higher quality replacements than the well known RV companies products? I'd be happy to pay more for the safety and peace of mind. Any info/advice will be appreciated. Thanks!
pjmarkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 02:25 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2008 34' Classic S/O
Arnprior , Ontario
I wen to a reputable propane dealer and he sold me some really good pigtails along with the bushing adapters that were needed to hook up to my A/S. He also told me to just tighten things up and check the connections with soapy water. He said NOT to use pipe dope on the connections! He said that the pipe dope will get loose and it will find its way into an number of small i/d orifices and cause problems. He said that the stuff that is sold in RV stores is pretty basic stuff and would need to be replaced every couple of years. Mine are four years old and going strong. Jusy my $0.02 worth!
S/OS#88
white laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 02:28 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Allegan , Michigan
Copper propane pigtails - OK with "safety" valves?

I thought I was the only one with this problem! I don't keep a repair log (probably should) but I seem to get 2 to 3 years before they start leaking. Currently mine seem to have very small leaks that don't show up with the liquid bubble detector fluid. (I have an electronic flammable gas detector which is very sensitive and is how I found the leaks.)

I am considering changing over to copper tube pigtails. My parents used travel trailers in the mid 1960s, the connections between the tanks and the change over valve were all copper and brass; I don't remember them causing any problems. The one thing that causes some concern is compatibility with the new "safety" valves on the current propane tanks. (The new style valves will not allow gas to flow UNLESS the POL fitting is in place.) I would assume that there would not be a problem because you would have to assume that someone would put a new tank on an old trailer.

I don't have a link, but if you search for "POL x 1/4 inch male inverted thread copper pigtail" you should find what I am talking about. Propane Gear(?) sells them. Let me know if you need further information and I'll look it up

These are the same type of pigtails that are used on the large (300 + gallon) residential propane tanks between the valve and the first stage regulator at the tank. I assume that they don' use "safety" valves in this application.

I would appreciate any insight anyone has to offer.

Whit Nash
rwnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 02:35 PM   #4
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
pjmarkham,

Greetings from a bit N of you off of I-95'ish.

I put a set of these https://mbsturgis.com/products/rv-ty...eel-overbraid/ MB Sturgis stainless braided hoses on maybe 5 yrs ago? no issues to report. Also any chance you have a tight turn on the hose that might be bending the hose excessivly?

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 11:54 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
dudley , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmarkham View Post
So I seem to be on a regular schedule of replacing propane pigtails about every two years. Anybody got any suggestions of higher quality replacements than the well known RV companies products? I'd be happy to pay more for the safety and peace of mind. Any info/advice will be appreciated. Thanks!
I played this game. Even got the stainless braided ones.They leak.... Junk. Went back to old style copper tubing and wrench with left hand threads. Problem solved.
bobstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Hoses

I just returned a set of new GasStop Hoses. They leaked out of the box at the crimped ends.

I replaced them with hoses from Camping World they were 20 inch Mr. Heater Hoses. They feel quality time will tell. The extra length is nice, especially if you buy a GasTop leak valve.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 09:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
M B Sturgis seems to build decent ones. Made in USA.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 11:17 PM   #8
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I use braided MB Sturgis. No leaks.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 06:03 AM   #9
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
I agree with the suggestion to go to a local propane parts supply house and have two hoses made up in the length you need. I did this and was able to spec out the thicker-walled hose and higher quality fittings on both ends, and the guy doing the work put on proper crimps which don't leak and feel quite solid. Cost was no more than the junk at box stores.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:04 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Summerville , SC
Thanks

Thanks to everyone who replied. After being unable to find a vender locally to custom make the propane pigtails I have decided to go with the MB Sturgis hoses. Hopefully, I will have as good luck with them as the respondents to my post. Thanks again and happy propane leak free camping to all!
pjmarkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 05:41 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Old Thread Revival, I know…. but this is ridiculous! Every two years the propane pigtails are leaking at the cheap sheet-metal crimps on the ends.

I am about to make my own out of aircraft hydraulic lines unless someone has a really worthy product they can recommend. (I’ve already tried Sturgis and Camco and the MEC brands….all of them are junk after a year or so.)
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 05:59 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Old Thread Revival, I know…. but this is ridiculous! Every two years the propane pigtails are leaking at the cheap sheet-metal crimps on the ends.

I am about to make my own out of aircraft hydraulic lines unless someone has a really worthy product they can recommend. (I’ve already tried Sturgis and Camco and the MEC brands….all of them are junk after a year or so.)
I have noted the same thing over the past 10 years. I think I only replaced the pigtails one time on my old trailer in 17 years of ownership. I'm on my 4th set is 13 years with this trailer. It seems there is a lot of junk in the hose market now days.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 06:40 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
I JUST NOW ordered this on Amazon… hoping it’ll be the final fix:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Images

Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 04:31 AM   #14
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Not sure how many years my braided hoses have been on but I made sure they have a nice smooth arc from regulator to tanks, no tight bends etc. And that required a 90 elbow to really smooth things out.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 11:00 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
Next time has gets to be a bad problem blame the dog. Works for me. ��
Old 05-05-2023, 01:12 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
I use braided MB Sturgis. No leaks.
guskmg
This is what I got the last time. Had to drive all the way across the valley (phoenix) last winter.....hopefully worth it, tired to leaks at the most inopportune time!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 03:52 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I finally stopped at Tractor Supply to top up my propane tanks.
I noticed the driver's side very hard to unscrew, it took big channel locks to break it free.
After re-attaching the lines, I thought I smelled gas at the tank, so I turned that tank off and am using the other.
Now I'm starting to question if the last person to fill them, the dealer, had a similar problem, thus the very tight connection.
I think they "should" be hand tight, no tools.
It's this style fitting.

I might look into a sniffer and see where he leak is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-05-05 at 5.55.41 PM.png
Views:	41
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	431167  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 05:56 PM   #18

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I finally stopped at Tractor Supply to top up my propane tanks.
I noticed the driver's side very hard to unscrew, it took big channel locks to break it free.
After re-attaching the lines, I thought I smelled gas at the tank, so I turned that tank off and am using the other.
Now I'm starting to question if the last person to fill them, the dealer, had a similar problem, thus the very tight connection.
I think they "should" be hand tight, no tools.
It's this style fitting.

I might look into a sniffer and see where he leak is.

Soapy water in a spray bottle will quickly identify leak locations
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 03:45 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2024 19' Caravel
Washougal , Washington
Go to a Fireplace Store!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
... propane pigtails are leaking at the cheap sheet-metal crimps on the ends... about to make my own out of aircraft hydraulic lines unless someone has a really worthy product they can recommend.
I have not only the AS, but I have propane for my range in the house, plus an outlet on the deck. Best pigtails EVER have come from a Fireplace Store. They hand-make them to your specs, can have any fitting on either end.

Same outfit sells Outdoor Cooking equipment, and SWAGES the fittings onto the proper hose, not merely 'crimps' them. I have been using the pigtails I bought there for a very long time (and I do check periodically with soapy water), and I'll be going back there for the replacements when I need them.

Hope that helps.
Click here to go to my blog: I try to add wisdom, not noise.
Steamguy is offline   Reply With Quote