Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-11-2003, 08:58 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

It take 5 minutes to get the gas flowing to my fridge, water heater, etc.

I got the trailer recently. I think the gas bottles are a little low. But it takes about 5 minutes of holding down the button on the appliance from the point where I turn on the valve on the bottle to the point where I get gas to the appliance. The stove will light in about 20-30 seconds. What is my problem?
TBKP's Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 09:52 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Common problem on all gas appliances. The orfice ( hole where the pilot gas comes out when you hold the button down ) is so small that it takes some time for the air to be removed & gas to come through. Your gas stove ( burners on top )will light faster because it has larger orfices. We have a 02 Bambi & it has the inside electronic pilot lighting switch & it will cycle several times when we first light it. I really don't think you have problem, other than the time wait sometimes gets long. Hope this helps.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 10:51 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
It take 5 minutes to get the gas flowing to my fridge, water heater, etc.

I would be a bit concerned about the length of wait that you indicate, especially if the coach is new to you and a '68 model. It is possible that the LP level may be low, but there are other potential problems such as a worn/defective regulator as well as damaged LP pipes or worn/collapsing pressure hoses. It is also possible that the burners may need cleaning or adjustment.

With my '64 Overlander, I have develolped a practice of having all of the LP appliances (and the regulator) cleaned, checked and ajusted by a trained technician every other year to insure safe and economical operattion. One thing that I have learned is that the first time the rig is used each season (as well as any time that the coach has been permitted to run out of LP), it is easier to get the furnace and water heater to light if all four burners on the range are lit and allowed to burn until all of the flames are an even, consistent color. I then shut of all of the burners and proceed to light the water heater and turn on the furnace if necessary. I very rarely run my refrigerator on LP - - I usually use either AC electric or 12-volt - - so I don't know whether this method would make any difference when lighting the refrigerator. I will find out with my Minuet this summer as it doesn't have a 3-way refrigerator (yet!).

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 06:54 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Maybe my shut down proceedure is the problem

I have been soing it the lazy way. I've turned off the tank, then when I get the time I turned off the pilot. So that causes the line to full drain out. Maybe if I shut the pilot and left gas in the line it would be quicker.
Old 04-15-2003, 07:02 AM   #5
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
You are correct, the pilot will hold open the line and allow the gas to escape if you are shutting down at the tank. The other benifit of shutting off the pilot first is that if you have no problems with the LP system (read leaks) then the pilot should light right away on a restart.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 11:48 AM   #6
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Lighting water heater

If you have a manual (non-electronic) water heater, get the thermocouple good and hot with your gas match and then turn the control all the way on while keeping the thermocouple hot. The main burner will light very quickly because it has a large orfice. The main burner will stay on when you release the button and the pilot will light when it is good and ready.

This has worked well for me on my 3 previous trailers. Current trailer has electronic ignition.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 03:08 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

The thermocouple is the wire right? So if I hold a match to it, set the dial to on, listen and move the match from time to time to the orifice location it will fire up? Cool. What about the fridge? Maybe no tricks there I guess?
Old 04-15-2003, 05:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I have found that if I turn the tank on first then go inside and put a match to one of the stove eyes until it lights for about 30 seconds, my fridge will light much quicker. Same with the water heater. I always turn off at the appliance first and the tank last. This allows me to check the red flag to see if there is a leak in the systems I am not aware of before I leave the camping area.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 10:00 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Thanks for yourhelp