Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2020, 08:38 AM   #1

None , New York
Is it safe to fill my LP tank...

2006 Airstream Interstate

This 2 foot long copper tube (with a plastic cap on one end) fell off of my LP tank. It was screwed in by a brass connection that broke (see yellow circle in image 3).

I'm wondering if it's safe to fill my tank while it's missing this part. And I'm wondering what the purpose of the part is. My best guess is that it vents propane if the tank is overfilled.

Thanks for any advice and guidance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	385.5 KB
ID:	379810   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpeg
Views:	57
Size:	195.4 KB
ID:	379811  

Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpeg
Views:	64
Size:	343.2 KB
ID:	379812  
Sanberdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
Lp tanks have a 10 year life. Any older, get it checked or replace with new.

Is it worth the risk of a leak or worse
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Looks like a pressure relief valve pipe, in case of an overfill. I'm not familiar with Interstates but pictures I've found show the fill is on the curb side of the unit. Since it has a plastic cap on one end it would make sense that it's a relief valve pipe. If the pipe is broken you might have someone replace the connector on the line or replace the entire line. Look for a local RV dealership repair service.

If the connection in the tank is broken you would need to replace the tank.

2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 12:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum!

You will find a more focused audience in the Sprinter etc. sub-forum, where issues like this often require a "non trailer" approach IMO.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f240/index60.html

Good luck,
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 12:15 PM   #5
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The rules are pretty strict on propane and the people who fill tanks are supposed to follow them. Of course, many don't. Depending on where you go, you my be refused propane if there is a visible issue. They are also supposed to check the certification or recertification dates. I believe you have to recertify every 12 years in the US and 10 in Canada. Your tank should have been recertified by now.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 01:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Gene, the recertification requirement obtains only for DOT cylinders, not to ASME cylinders. Fixed-mount tanks on mohos are ASME.

That said, if something is visually wrong with a cylinder -- physical damage, deep corrosion, whatever -- licensed fillers know to reject requests to refill. OFten enough, however, the tank itself is not in an easily visible location. That includes the Interstate.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
The rules are pretty strict on propane and the people who fill tanks are supposed to follow them. Of course, many don't. Depending on where you go, you my be refused propane if there is a visible issue. They are also supposed to check the certification or recertification dates. I believe you have to recertify every 12 years in the US and 10 in Canada. Your tank should have been recertified by now.
Old 10-02-2020, 11:34 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Lake Mary , Florida
Take it to LP tank retailer, they will let you know what it is for. And your tank looks pretty rusty -fully depreciated and in dire need of replacement.
suncoasteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 01:23 PM   #8
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Gene, the recertification requirement obtains only for DOT cylinders, not to ASME cylinders. Fixed-mount tanks on mohos are ASME.

That said, if something is visually wrong with a cylinder -- physical damage, deep corrosion, whatever -- licensed fillers know to reject requests to refill. OFten enough, however, the tank itself is not in an easily visible location. That includes the Interstate.

Lynn
Lynn,

Thanks for the correction. My take from this is that you replace the tank in this case after it wears out and tell that from a visual inspection. How many years do they usually last?

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 06:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Valves may wear out in the most realistic sense. Moving parts, rubbing against one another. The cylinders themselves don't just wear out UNLESS they are corroded, dented, bent, or otherwise beat up.

Well, sort of. I did finally reject a tank from the local preacher-man one time. It was his cylinder for his outdoor grill, and he kept the cylinder itself directly under the grease drain. It was the nastiest, filthiest thing you have ever seen, and I didn't want to touch it. Told him that I can no longer see the certification numbers and recommended that he do a trade-in at Walmart to start with a clean cylinder again.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Lynn,

Thanks for the correction. My take from this is that you replace the tank in this case after it wears out and tell that from a visual inspection. How many years do they usually last?