Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2016, 04:53 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Black Diamond , Washington
Use/store

The "use" switch should be left on even on shore power... Not in "store". Your batteries will not charge ifin store mode. I agree just stay in use mode.
toothpull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:08 PM   #22
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Sounds like batteries to me too. The batteries may have been treated badly at the dealer and by the time you got them, they were half shot anyway.

As for propane, I had a number of small leaks on the propane lines under the trailer and had to tighten all the fittings after checking them with soapy water, my nose and if nothing else detects propane escaping, a match will (by the time you check with the other methods, it is obvious no large amount is leaking). I fixed the leaks and used vinyl tubing around the propane lines secured in various ways, mostly with adjustable clamps (once called airplane clamps and now called hose clamps). The vinyl reduces the risk of damage from rocks.

Sounds like you hardly ever use the stove or furnace.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:17 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
If it smells like rotten eggs it may be your battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:08 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Sounds like batteries to me too. The batteries may have been treated badly at the dealer and by the time you got them, they were half shot anyway.

As for propane, I had a number of small leaks on the propane lines under the trailer and had to tighten all the fittings after checking them with soapy water, my nose and if nothing else detects propane escaping, a match will (by the time you check with the other methods, it is obvious no large amount is leaking). I fixed the leaks and used vinyl tubing around the propane lines secured in various ways, mostly with adjustable clamps (once called airplane clamps and now called hose clamps). The vinyl reduces the risk of damage from rocks.

Sounds like you hardly ever use the stove or furnace.

Gene
Surprisingly, we used it quite a bit... I fully expected to refill the tanks twice by now.

Time for some new batteries I guess... lesson learned.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:11 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
If the water level is different in different cells something is wrong with your batteries. Especially if one or more cells were empty. Once the water drops below the tops of the plates there is probably damage being done that the battery might not recover from. If they were mine I'd fill the cells if there is no signs of a leak or warping and check the cells with a hydrometer and then charge the batteries and check again with the hydrometer. Good chance the batteries are toast. Be careful for the acid and don't make sparks!
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:22 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijustlee View Post
If the water level is different in different cells something is wrong with your batteries. Especially if one or more cells were empty. Once the water drops below the tops of the plates there is probably damage being done that the battery might not recover from. If they were mine I'd fill the cells if there is no signs of a leak or warping and check the cells with a hydrometer and then charge the batteries and check again with the hydrometer. Good chance the batteries are toast. Be careful for the acid and don't make sparks!
yeah I have a feeling they're toast. Going to pick up a hydrometer tomorrow and test each cell
Old 04-29-2016, 06:50 AM   #27
Zil
4 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
Currently Looking...
Eyren Haven , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma800 View Post
checked my batteries, and I would describe a cell or two as "bone dry"
You don't have to test your batteries. They are done. Get new batteries and also determine if your charging system is faulty. The next step in your battery failure story would be an exploding battery. Please be careful, battery acid will blind you.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:31 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
alright, I've pulled the batteries and heading to Interstate in a few. From the outside, they look brand new, no swelling or sweating. But I'm going to get me a new pair. Wondering if I should buy the new pair at walmart, or go back with interstates...
Old 04-29-2016, 09:50 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Your choice on the brand of battery. A thread here a while back yielded the info that most of them are made in the same factory anyway. I have no way of confirming that, but most of them are good. I went with the Walmart battery, because I could probably replace it on the road more easily. Walmarts are everywhere.

Also, please do something about your charging system, or your new batteries will not last long. Modern multi-stage converters are a big improvement over the single stage units that I understand Airstream still installs. Charging a battery that's already fully charged is what boils it dry.

bestconverter.com is where I got mine, and I'm glad I took their advice. Hookup was just a matter of moving wires from the old unit to the new, and mounting the unit to the floor.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:48 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
If you are going to keep the OEM converter/charger I'd go with the most affordable flooded battery unless Interstate can address the issue via a warranty claim. One of my Interstates, new 3/13, had two low cells when tested with a hydrometer. I put a 15.5v charge on the battery for several hours, with the covers off and was able to restore the specific gravity but I'm sure the capacity has suffered.

Kelvin
Old 04-29-2016, 02:06 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Well I am now the proud owner of two brand new interstate batteries.. they were barely out of warranty, he charged me 105 per.

Is it possible for someone to link directly to, or mention the specific model number of a good replacement charger?
Old 04-29-2016, 02:29 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Progressive Dynamics PD4655. www.bestconverter.com is where I purchased mine but you can get them on Amazon too.

http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Dy...ywords=pd+4655
Old 04-30-2016, 10:12 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
thanks!!
Old 05-01-2016, 01:42 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We needed a wire "stretcher" for another inch in our 2013 25FB International Serenity converter upgrade. Cutting some cable ties all the way back to the factory inverter and massaging the wire bundle provided the necessary extra inch needed inside the original enclosure as the new new connectors were not in exactly the same location as on the original circuit board. Otherwise it was a simple installation under the queen bed.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:35 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
that raises a good point... I'm not 100% sure where my charger is in my unit....
Old 05-01-2016, 06:39 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Along with the batteries, establish a disciplined charging regimen for them, avoiding leaving the Battery Switch in the USE position when the trailer is plugged in at home and not being used. Or replace the converter/charger with one that has three-stage charging, and not worry about proper charging anymore.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:37 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Really potentially stupid question, but have you got skunks where you live? Burnt rubber/coffee smells is typical for them. Might have just been a critter staying overnight in your trailer. The smell lingers forever.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:21 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
Really potentially stupid question, but have you got skunks where you live? Burnt rubber/coffee smells is typical for them. Might have just been a critter staying overnight in your trailer. The smell lingers forever.
Per Post #31 they got new batteries.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 01:14 PM   #39
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We got an Iota converter as recommended for us by Lewster. I don't know the model number, but make sure you get a three stage charger. Just about any brand like that will be better than the OEM model which cooks batteries.

The Iota was substantially smaller than the original. I don't recall whether I had to lengthen, stretch or realign any wires, but be careful you attach the right leads in the right places. It was difficult to remove the OEM charger because some wires were attached at the back and were difficult to get to. I think I ended up cutting them as close to where they were attached as I could, but only after making sure they were long enough. As I recall i had to remove the fuse and breaker panels above the converter to work on the replacement. Then unscrew the lower panel to access the converter.

In our trailer the space to work on this is cramped (walls, bed) and maneuvering my legs into some place I could still face the work area was a challenge, especially with old legs and damaged knees. I wondered if I'd ever be able to get myself out of this space. Of course, some tool I discovered I needed was beyond my reach more than once.

Disconnect both leads to the batteries as well as shore power before working on this.

You don't have to cook the batteries if you treat them well. Remove them in winter, charge them every month or two with a trickle charger, make sure they have water if they are flooded cell batteries. Some solar systems have a triple stage charger built in and if you leave the trailer on solar when stored, they will keep the batters properly charged, but you still have to check water levels periodically. In the long run, replacing the converter is the best option.

Welcome to the Forum. Did the smell disappear?

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote