Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2020, 10:50 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Garfield Hts. , Ohio
I have a 1972 Airstream Sovereign

I bought back in April...
I was told it been a good 10 years since water and gas has been hooked up and used in it...

I hooked up propane tank waited about 5 mins. did not smell anything and tried to light the gas stove nothing...
I was wondering how hard it is to replace the gas and water line and the best way to do it???
I am new and no skills at this...

Thank you,

C. Raymond Ratliff
HunterWVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 11:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Did you check under the belly pan? Many of these older units had shut off valves for each appliance.
My '74 Argosy 26' has a valve for each. The water heater, the cook stove and the furnace. None on the refer.
The water lines are all above the floor (I believe). Use 1/2" PEX. Keep hidden joints to a minimum.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 01:17 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Greenville , South Carolina
Ray, did you fix it?
I have a 1966 caravel. Copper lines for water and gas. You can bet that it was probably not want to ride properly so be prepared to replace the lines with PEX. You can buy it the pecs local big-box store however I would encourage you to buy the crimper kit from Amazon it's only $14 and it comes with fittings most likely your fittings will be either three quarters if you have a big line going in or mine had half inch.

On the gas lines I had to throw the old regulator away and I snaked out the lines with air pressure and a clothes hanger. That remove some dirt clots. Try to blow the long lines with the ends disconnect it so you don't blow trash into the device
Gas lines are not as difficult as they look to replace . You can get a soft refrigerator COPPER lines from Lowe's or HD $20 bucks. Its rolled up easy to bend. Go to harbor freight to get a hand held pipe bender $9 and flaring tool.. $7 small pipe cutter $6 . Cut off the copper pipe at the reuse to end connection caps.. you can get a few extra from Lowe's or HD. If the flares are not perfect don't worry these will flatten out once you screw it on the pressure will seal the unit when you connect in the refrigerator the furnace and the stove and the hot water heater back. Same with any Junctions and unions. Get some dishwashing liquid diluted 50/50 once everything is tight squirt on the ends and connections to make sure there's no gas leak. You'll find a gas leak when it starts bubbling up all you have to do is tighten try not to over tighten but keep tightening in short increments and then check what dishwashing liquid to make sure there's no bubbles what's the bubbles are gone it is tight.
VetteGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:51 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Garfield Hts. , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Did you check under the belly pan? Many of these older units had shut off valves for each appliance.
My '74 Argosy 26' has a valve for each. The water heater, the cook stove and the furnace. None on the refer.
The water lines are all above the floor (I believe). Use 1/2" PEX. Keep hidden joints to a minimum.
Thank you
I checked I did not see any shut offs at stove or any place else maybe I did not leave it on long enough to get air out of it...
Old 08-10-2020, 10:09 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Garfield Hts. , Ohio
Thank you
I will be looking to replace the water lines and possibly the gas if need be might start with regulator first after blowing the gas lines out...
Old 08-10-2020, 10:20 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If there are shut off valves for the gas appliances they will be under the coach below the belly pan.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign