Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-29-2020, 09:30 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
West Windsor , Vermont
How long?

Started out for a 3-4 month road trip with a full fresh home water tank. Some camp ground accommodations and some 3-4 day dry camping... it would take some time to deplete the 30+ gallon tank. How long would you continue using the same stored fresh water? Thanks
Peterf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 09:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
If you are concerned about fresh drinking water, get yourself a Burkey water filter for inside the trailer. It can filter everything including pond water.

As for 30 gallons, my wife can use that up in one shower!

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 09:54 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterf View Post
it would take some time to deplete the 30+ gallon tank. How long would you continue using the same stored fresh water?
Since I live on the Gulf Coast where Hurricane Season replaces Summer and Autumn, I routinely keep my fresh water tank full from June 1st to November 30th each year in case of a hurricane evacuation, with no adverse effects.

Modern fresh water tanks like yours are made of a food-grade plastic that will not leach chemicals into the water to give it a "plastic" taste, though older tanks (before about 1988) predate the "food grade" classification and may (or may not) leach chemicals into the water over time.

As long as the fresh water system was properly sanitized when you de-winterized, and you added clean fresh water from a trusted source, it should not stagnate no matter how long it's in the tank. Stagnation only occurs if there is something biological in the water, which should not be a problem unless oyu get bugs or dead leaves or something into the tank. The worst that would happen otherwise would be the water starting to taste "flat" from depletion of dissolved oxygen over time, but a simple aerator on the faucet fixes that.
Old 02-29-2020, 10:07 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
From a sanitary standpoint it is fine for the foreseeable future given the tank remains closed since it is shielded from the sun and not subject to contaminates including dust and such. Since your trailer is new, it may pick up a slight plastic odor and taste, and that is when I would stop using it.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 10:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
If you are concerned, just add a little bleach to sanitize your water - https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/pdf..._flyer_508.pdf
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 10:34 AM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
We use a two stage filter for the water going into the tank.

We drink that water...rarely, but it tastes fine when we do. We use bottled for the important stuff....coffee.

We are water fugals', Navy showers and don't waste it waiting for it to get hot, run it into a container 'til warm and use that to rinse stuff.

When I have gotten funky smells/taste from the tank water a bottle of Listerine Mint Antiseptic in a full tank will usually care of it...

We have done 3wks of boondocking on 1 tank.
POI...our '03 Classic has a 54gal FW tank.
Good luck with the newer AS's.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 02-29-2020, 01:35 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
We drink out of the tank. If it's been in a week or so, I drain what's left and refill. The exact timing depends on water hookup and anticipated next travel.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 01:49 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I've never added water to the tank.....2 1/2 years!
But I usually camp in parks with water hookups.
If I don't have a water hookup, I only use the water for dishes, toilet flush and a quick shower.
I carry a case of bottled water for drinking.

W.C. Fields -- "I used to drink water until I discovered the terrible things fish did in it!"
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote