Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2006, 08:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

san diego
how do you remove the gas tanks?

I'm de-rusting and painting over the tongue of my trailer and I cannot figure out how the gas tanks are removed from the mechanism that holds them on. There is a brace (looks like a T-bar) which unscrews and releases the top of the tank - I got that off, but where do you disconnect the tanks from the gas line which goes into the trailer? Everything is rusted and stuck and I don't want to try & force something off in the wrong place. Do you unsrew the bolt that's on the regulator of the tank, or the bolt which attaches the gas line to that gauge looking thing? Or somewhere completely different?
Also, on either side of the tongue, one on each side, I have these horseshoe looking things bolted onto it. It looks like they're to attach training wheels! What are these & can they come off?
Thanks!
jlandau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 09:13 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
On a normal setup you would disconect the gas lines at the tanks. The threads are backwards from standard bolts. The horseshoe looking things on the frame are for attaching the arms of a weight distribution hitch.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 09:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
If "everything is rusted" are you sure the tanks & valves are current? They may (most likely) will need to be recertified. Check out this thread for some additional info ~ you may save some time in the de-rusting & painting department.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 09:44 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Weight Distributing Hitch Parts

Greetings jlandau!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlandau
Also, on either side of the tongue, one on each side, I have these horseshoe looking things bolted onto it. It looks like they're to attach training wheels! What are these & can they come off?
Thanks!
As was mentioned by azflycaster, the "horeshoe" devices (snap-up brackets) are part of the weight distributing hitch system. They are likely quite similar to those found on my '78 Minuet in the photo below (I also have the Dual Cam Sway control that accounts for the levers that are also attached to the A-Frame).

You will likely find the weight distributing hitch to be a welcome addition regardless of your tow vehicle. I even utilize the Reese Dual Cam system when I tow the Minuet with my K2500 Suburban -- it does improve the towing "feel" even with the heavy duty tow vehicle.

Good luck with your restoration project!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 02:07 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

san diego
Thanks Kevin! Now I know what they are, but I have no chain attaching them like in your photo. Nor do I have the sway control system. So, if I do utilize these weight distribution hitch devices, where do I install a chain? And attach them to what? Are they used only with the sway control system?

Is it a bad decision to not utilize them at all and remove them from the a-frame? Are they really necessary for a smooth tow? I'll be towing with a van - V/8 - so, quite powerful.

Sorry for my ignorance - I've never seen this system before!
jlandau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 02:16 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Weight Distribution Bar Chains

Greetings jlandau!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlandau
Thanks Kevin! Now I know what they are, but I have no chain attaching them like in your photo. Nor do I have the sway control system. So, if I do utilize these weight distribution hitch devices, where do I install a chain? And attach them to what? Are they used only with the sway control system?

Is it a bad decision to not utilize them at all and remove them from the a-frame? Are they really necessary for a smooth tow? I'll be towing with a van - V/8 - so, quite powerful.

Sorry for my ignorance - I've never seen this system before!
The weight distribution bars will actually have the chains attached to them if you don't have the Reese Daul Cam System -- there is a "U" bolt that attaches the chains to the end of the weight distribution bars -- then the chain is attached to the snap-up bracket and cinched with a retainer clip. The chains are included with the purchase of new weight distribution bars, but can be purchased from the manufacturers of the weight distrubtion bars separately.

The only use for the snap-up brackets is as part of the weight distributing hitch system. Personally, I wouldn't tow either of my coaches without weight distribution -- and in fact, I am very sold on the Reese Dual Cam System even when towing my comparatively light weight Minuet (even with its modest gross weight it still has a hitch weight in excess of 500 pounds when loaded).

Good luck with your coach!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote