Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2022, 11:11 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Los Altos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by foobar View Post
I took a pro-active approach. After I picked up the trailer from the dealer and brought it home, I crawled underneath the trailer and took a look at the propane system. On my trailer, the propane hoses and distribution fittings (T-connectors) are all below the bottom pan and easily visible.

There is at least a half inch line running from the regulator at the bottles (might have been a 3/4" line, but I didn't measure it.). Right where the hose coming from the regulators reaches the intersection where the shell meets the frame, there is a T-fitting that splits off a smaller line that runs over to the LP-Port. I plan to replace the T-Fitting and the smaller line with a 3/8" line that will feed a larger 3/8" quick disconnect fitting. Genconnex assures me that this will be adequate.

FYI, a single Honda EU2200i burns propane at a similar rate as your trailer furnace does (perhaps a bit more).

Your propane system should easily be able to supply the fridge, stove, oven, and furnace simultaneously. In which case, it should also be able to supply the EU2200i and your fridge if the other appliances are off. If it can't, then you definitely have a defect somewhere. Clogged hose or T-Fitting, bad regulator (this happens for sure), etc.
I'll try replacing the regulator as first step. not sure how I would troubleshoot a clogged hose or T-Fitting. Sounds like there should not be problem running the gen and fridge, stove, etc at same time..
jsmall01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 05:55 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmall01 View Post
Still really never got the answer, but assume when Gen runs it's just going to take most of the propane and not leave much for on board appliances..
I am drying camping now (at Oskkosh Airventure) running by Gennconnex 2200 with the fridge, water heater, and one burner all using propane. My conclusion is that there is a problem somewhere in your propane system. I do not believe your situation is normal.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 08:15 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
I'll try replacing the regulator as first step. not sure how I would troubleshoot a clogged hose or T-Fitting. Sounds like there should not be problem running the gen and fridge, stove, etc at same time..
If this were Las Vegas and I had to bet a paycheck on what part of your system the problem lies in ... I would bet on the regulators and replace those first. Your system clearly has a flaw somewhere.

Note, there are high flow versions of the regulators according to the folks that are upgrading my trailer (that was new info for me). If you are going to be replacing the regulators, you might as well get ones that are rated for high flow.

The Genconnex FAQ's state that a single 30lb propane tank is adequate to run 2 EU2200i's in parallel in freezing temperatures (3000 watt output load). Low temp's are a worst case scenario as the rate of conversion of propane liquid to vapor will drop as temperatures go lower.

The FAQ's also state the following:

Can I run two EU2200i’s at the same time from my camper’s 1/4” propane quick disconnect?

Answers:

Yes, if the connector is only a few feet from the tank and if you are just using the two to start a 12,000 or 14,000 BTU A/C unit that normally run at approximately 1600 Watts once started.

No, if you want to run both generators in total above this power for any length of time or have your 1/4” quick disconnect more than a few feet away. In this case you should have your line upgraded to 3/8” i.d. with a 3/8” quick disconnect installed and or use our 12’ x ⅜” dual output regulated hose connected to your propane tank.
foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 09:08 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
I took a pro-active approach. After I picked up the trailer from the dealer and brought it home, I crawled underneath the trailer and took a look at the propane system. On my trailer, the propane hoses and distribution fittings (T-connectors) are all below the bottom pan and easily visible.

There is at least a half inch line running from the regulator at the bottles (might have been a 3/4" line, but I didn't measure it.). Right where the hose coming from the regulators reaches the intersection where the shell meets the frame, there is a T-fitting that splits off a smaller line that runs over to the LP-Port. I plan to replace the T-Fitting and the smaller line with a 3/8" line that will feed a larger 3/8" quick disconnect fitting. Genconnex assures me that this will be adequate.

FYI, a single Honda EU2200i burns propane at a similar rate as your trailer furnace does (perhaps a bit more).

Your propane system should easily be able to supply the fridge, stove, oven, and furnace simultaneously. In which case, it should also be able to supply the EU2200i and your fridge if the other appliances are off. If it can't, then you definitely have a defect somewhere. Clogged hose or T-Fitting, bad regulator (this happens for sure), etc.
This sounds like the fix for me...thank you! I will let you know how it works out, once I confirm my lines and connection locations...after my coffee here! I may have to drive to Idaho Falls to get parts from Star Valley, or perhaps Amazon...I will report back.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 09:19 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
This sounds like the fix for me...thank you! I will let you know how it works out, once I confirm my lines and connection locations...after my coffee here! I may have to drive to Idaho Falls to get parts from Star Valley, or perhaps Amazon...I will report back.
You might also need a new regulator if the current one creates too much pressure drop at high flow (or triggers the built in high flow safety cut off). Due to manufacturing variation (or defects), some regulators can prematurely cut-off the propane flow under high flow conditions or can create excessive pressure drop. The solution is to replace the regulator(s) with the same model that works correctly or to replace the regulators with a high flow model.

I'm having the folks that are handling my lithium/solar/inverter upgrade also tackle upgrading the T-fitting and short propane line and quick disconnect to 3/8" inner diameter. They plan to test the pair of Honda EU2200i's running under full load and if the regulators cut-off the flow or the pressure drop is too high, they will also swap out the regulators for high flow versions.

Note that if you change to a 3/8" hose+quick-disconnect setup, you will need to find a 3/8" male to 1/4" female adapter in order to be able to connect up the usual set of appliances to the lp-port as these devices are going to come configured with a 1/4" quick disconnect coupler.
Old 07-29-2022, 09:26 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
You might also need a new regulator if the current one creates too much pressure drop at high flow (or triggers the built in high flow safety cut off). Due to manufacturing variation (or defects), some regulators can prematurely cut-off the propane flow under high flow conditions or can create excessive pressure drop. The solution is to replace the regulator(s) with the same model that works correctly or to replace the regulators with a high flow model.

I'm having the folks that are handling my lithium/solar/inverter upgrade also tackle upgrading the T-fitting and short propane line and quick disconnect to 3/8" inner diameter. They plan to test the pair of Honda EU2200i's running under full load and if the regulators cut-off the flow or the pressure drop is too high, they will also swap out the regulators for high flow versions.

Note that if you change to a 3/8" hose+quick-disconnect setup, you will need to find a 3/8" male to 1/4" female adapter in order to be able to connect up the usual set of appliances to the lp-port as these devices are going to come configured with a 1/4" quick disconnect coupler.
I will check out what I need to do. Thanks again.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 07-29-2022, 09:29 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Onan generator installation

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but my buddy had the new Onan 2500 generator installed under his 28' AS where the spare tire was. They moved the tire to the rear and installed a lift kit also, since the Onan sits 4" lower than the spare. He gave me a demo, and it was amazing! Control panel sits inside by his control panel; simple on/off switch and gauges; very quiet operation.

I have not been able to find the information here on the Forum for this nor any feedback from others who have had this modification done. Costly for sure, but would really like to understand how well these are working out and general feedback if there is a thread?
Old 07-30-2022, 05:30 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Los Altos , California
fixed!

replaced the original regulator with a auto-switching one and all seems to be back to normal. can run gen while using other LP appliances. must have been the regulator.
Old 07-30-2022, 05:33 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Los Altos , California
onboard gen

regarding your question on the on-board generator, you should reach out to Vinnie at North Bay Airstream near Sacramento. He has done quite a few of those mods. We chose to keep our Honda since we don't need to run the generator much. (400 amps of lithium batteries and 400 watts of solar.
Old 07-31-2022, 01:23 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
regarding your question on the on-board generator, you should reach out to Vinnie at North Bay Airstream near Sacramento. He has done quite a few of those mods. We chose to keep our Honda since we don't need to run the generator much. (400 amps of lithium batteries and 400 watts of solar.
Thanks; had a long discussion with Vinnie on this and other topics. Great guy. He helped me years ago with replacing my step on one of my 25's. Nice to see his company involvement with this option on the generators! I would say perfectionists on modifying AS's, for sure. My friend who got this Onan modification from their team, said same... Airstream should be investing or purchasing these guys, IMHO! Great and needed option for sure!
Old 07-31-2022, 01:39 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
2023 30' Classic
Denver , North Carolina
Ronnie Dennis of Airstream Nuts and Bolts has also doe the Onan generator modification.

Dave S
link2dks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 12:02 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Update- Airstream WY will now offer the Onan Generator instal

Quote:
Originally Posted by link2dks View Post
Ronnie Dennis of Airstream Nuts and Bolts has also doe the Onan generator modification.

Dave S
For those of you who are interested (and in the area) Airstream WY in Etna, outside Jackson, is collaborating with Vinnie and plans to offer the Onan generator installation from my recent visit to their Grand Opening few weeks back. I was impressed when my friend who has a new 28' FC had this done by Vinnie...very quiet and compact installation. Perhaps other dealers around the country will also offer, if AS does not pick this up at corp. as an option...
Old 09-16-2022, 12:15 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Found the problem!!

Quote:

We finally returned to TX and I was checking out the lines up front; noticed the line from the bottle's down along bottom of A frame looked "crimped"...got down to look and sure enough, it is crimped, restricting the flow to refer, stove, and the quick disconnect port. I will replace that this week. I am sure, the crimped line in the picture is the cause of the Honda "sputtering" when we were in Glacier in July. I was running the refrigerator and hot water heater while trying to run the generator. You can see the crimped line support just to the left of the connection shown. I must of hit something somewhere...the rubber line is crimped just enough to restrict full flow. This explains why the Honda worked fine on 20# bottle. Thanks for all the help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pinched propane line.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	274.6 KB
ID:	422564  
Old 09-16-2022, 01:05 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
We finally returned to TX and I was checking out the lines up front; noticed the line from the bottle's down along bottom of A frame looked "crimped"...got down to look and sure enough, it is crimped, restricting the flow to refer, stove, and the quick disconnect port. I will replace that this week. I am sure, the crimped line in the picture is the cause of the Honda "sputtering" when we were in Glacier in July. I was running the refrigerator and hot water heater while trying to run the generator. You can see the crimped line support just to the left of the connection shown. I must of hit something somewhere...the rubber line is crimped just enough to restrict full flow. This explains why the Honda worked fine on 20# bottle. Thanks for all the help
Glad to hear that you figured out what the problem was!

This is a cheap and easy thing to fix. Just be sure to use propane/natural gas rated pipe tape or pipe dope (pipe dope is better) to seal the fitting. You probably already know this, but I thought I would mention it just in case this is new information for you.