Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2021, 07:49 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2003 34' Classic
Cross Plains , Tennessee
Holding tank valves

The valves on our black and grey tanks wonít open when release handle is pulled. Can anyone offer a fix suggestion for this issue.
ksreed67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 07:51 AM   #2
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Handles pull out, or don't move at all?

Outside temp below freezing for a while?

And welcome to Airforums.

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 08:20 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hillsborough , North Carolina
Lubricate the valves

How much fluid is in the tanks?

You might try adding vegetable oil to the tank and then gently pulling back and forth hoping there is enough vegetable oil in proximity of the rubber seal to allow the rubber seal to slowly release the blade.

I am thinking along the line of a gallon or two fo vegetable oil.
Note: I do not condone sending the oil down the sewer or septic!
But in your case you have a "REAL Problem."

I am eager to see other suggestions.
GeeSag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 08:58 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2003 34' Classic
Cross Plains , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Handles pull out, or don't move at all?

Outside temp below freezing for a while?

And welcome to Airforums.

Gary
Handles move maybe 1/2”. We have only just bought this trailer and haven’t had an airstream before. It has been freezing recently (the last week no, but prior to).

And thank you!
Old 03-06-2021, 09:00 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2003 34' Classic
Cross Plains , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeSag View Post
How much fluid is in the tanks?

You might try adding vegetable oil to the tank and then gently pulling back and forth hoping there is enough vegetable oil in proximity of the rubber seal to allow the rubber seal to slowly release the blade.

I am thinking along the line of a gallon or two fo vegetable oil.
Note: I do not condone sending the oil down the sewer or septic!
But in your case you have a "REAL Problem."

I am eager to see other suggestions.
Ok. Thanks!!
Old 03-07-2021, 12:12 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Lube with. silicon based lube. Oil based lubes will be damaging.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 05:30 AM   #7
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Oh boy, this might get interesting/nasty. Not sure.

The valves are a blade valve sliding in-between two seals one on each side. IF liquid in tank and sub freezing for days valves could freeze up. But I think you're stating its now been above freezing. Frozen valves would have unfroze.

If your valves are hidden behind the big tank pan to access the valves you have two choices, no make that one. Cut an access hatch in the pan because dropping the pan is a bigger mess than making the hatch.

And if "product" is in the tanks I'm not sure how I'd recommend getting it out with frozen valves. The black tank with the water off you can flush the toilet and hold the flush open to look or make a dipstick to determine if tank is empty or how full it is.

But before you get out the tools might want to post a pic of your valves and on the grey tank just try again, it might be you're not giving it enough oomph.

Get back to us with where this goes.

Was it a private sale can you ask seller about vavle/tank status?

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 05:44 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
1979 31' Sovereign
1999 25' Safari
Youngsville , North Carolina
ksreed67
Do you have full or partially full tanks? If so there is a good chance the contents are frozen. I think it would take several days of above freezing temps to thaw or you could run a heater or a 100w light bulb or halogen work light under trailer tanks for a day or two to thaw. If you can see valves through 3" outlet you might also try to spray some WD 40 or siicone/teflon spray on exposed valve blades.

I would not put oil into tank. Best of luck, look forward to hearing about your outcome.
Steve
heslinhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:42 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2003 34' Classic
Cross Plains , Tennessee
To our knowledge thereís no liquids in tank to speak of. Itís been winterized. We actually just put some water in camper to check seals on tanks and realized they're not opening.
Old 03-13-2021, 08:17 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2003 34' Classic
Cross Plains , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Oh boy, this might get interesting/nasty. Not sure.

The valves are a blade valve sliding in-between two seals one on each side. IF liquid in tank and sub freezing for days valves could freeze up. But I think you're stating its now been above freezing. Frozen valves would have unfroze.

If your valves are hidden behind the big tank pan to access the valves you have two choices, no make that one. Cut an access hatch in the pan because dropping the pan is a bigger mess than making the hatch.

And if "product" is in the tanks I'm not sure how I'd recommend getting it out with frozen valves. The black tank with the water off you can flush the toilet and hold the flush open to look or make a dipstick to determine if tank is empty or how full it is.

But before you get out the tools might want to post a pic of your valves and on the grey tank just try again, it might be you're not giving it enough oomph.

Get back to us with where this goes.

Was it a private sale can you ask seller about vavle/tank status?

Gary
Just an update. It turned out to not be a huge issue. Had dried build up and also some wasp nests that needed cleaned out from camper sitting for the past couple of years. Seals were just in need of cleaning and lubricant.
Old 03-13-2021, 08:18 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2003 34' Classic
Cross Plains , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by heslinhotel View Post
ksreed67
Do you have full or partially full tanks? If so there is a good chance the contents are frozen. I think it would take several days of above freezing temps to thaw or you could run a heater or a 100w light bulb or halogen work light under trailer tanks for a day or two to thaw. If you can see valves through 3" outlet you might also try to spray some WD 40 or siicone/teflon spray on exposed valve blades.

I would not put oil into tank. Best of luck, look forward to hearing about your outcome.
Steve
Just an update. It turned out to not be a huge issue. Had dried build up and also some wasp nests that needed cleaned out from camper sitting for the past couple of years. Seals were just in need of cleaning and lubricant.