Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2022, 12:50 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Help tying into large propane tank

I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction on a project. I have a recreational property that I am putting in a covered pad for my airstream. We have a 1,000 gallon propane tank on the property, is there a way to connect to this and use it as a source of propane for my airstream. I hope this makes sense.
Thanks in advance,
Greg
ghaag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 01:28 PM   #2
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaag View Post
I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction on a project. I have a recreational property that I am putting in a covered pad for my airstream. We have a 1,000 gallon propane tank on the property, is there a way to connect to this and use it as a source of propane for my airstream. I hope this makes sense.

Thanks in advance,

Greg
Is it possible? Probably. But it might involve more than just running a hose.

A good first contact would be the company that fills the tank for you. If they don't do this kind of thing they will know someone who does.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 01:36 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Little falls , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
Is it possible? Probably. But it might involve more than just running a hose.

A good first contact would be the company that fills the tank for you. If they don't do this kind of thing they will know someone who does.
Agreed. As much as I like to try new things I’d darn sure want to know what I was doing before I played around with propane and an ignition source.
civeng99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 02:38 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1949 22' Liner
1969 27' Overlander
1969 27' Overlander
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by civeng99 View Post
Agreed. As much as I like to try new things Id darn sure want to know what I was doing before I played around with propane and an ignition source.
Agreed! Lots of systems nowadays use a higher pressure main line and reduce it further at the point it enters the house or structure. Tapping into the line at the tank may be 5 PSI or more. Call your propane supplier to get more info.
Jcondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 07:11 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Thanks for everyones feedback, I will start there!
Old 10-05-2022, 10:58 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Niagara Falls , Ontario
Quote:
Thanks in advance,
Greg

see i you can get a propane fill hose or a bottle type valve installed on the large tank and run a line to the trailer from there. You might need to get a propane fill station license to add a trailer connection from the large tank.
hairyclive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 05:38 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyclive View Post
see i you can get a propane fill hose or a bottle type valve installed on the large tank and run a line to the trailer from there. You might need to get a propane fill station license to add a trailer connection from the large tank.
Thank you, maybe the propane dealer can help with that.
Old 10-05-2022, 08:24 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
2017 26' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , TN
Quote:
Thanks in advance,
Greg
I'd urge you to use an abundance of caution. When completed, there should be no soft parts, hoses, ect with propane pressure on it. Keep In mind that any leak that may occur in the Airstream unattended, can potentially leak the entire contents of the 1,000 gallon tank in the trailer.

This is not a good do it yourself type of job. Unless it's out in the boonies, building codes may be an issue as well. Definitely a job for a professional.
jsaucier is offline   Reply With Quote