Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-17-2014, 06:09 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Snowmass Village , Colorado
Question Help...Suburban Furnace operation?!

Looking for some help here . . .

My Overlander has a Suburban NT245 Furnace, and I have absolutely no idea how it works. I can't find the pilot or any sort of ignition. I have followed the instructions on the side of the unit, but only the fan blows. There doesn't seem to be any sort of lighting mechanism (or I just don't know where it is). I have no idea when the last time this furnace worked. Any guidance would be helpful!! (....or does anyone have a manual they could share with me?)

Thanks!
ecasebeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 06:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The model number ... could it be an NT 24 S maybe? or some other last letter/number. The NT series did not have 3 numbers, only two.

When you take the front cover off do you find a black knob down low, about in the center, which says Pull on it? If so it is a pilot light model and you will need to light the pilot light first. To do that, first be sure the tank gas is on, then check both outside where the gas line comes up and into the furnace, and inside near the furnace for valves which could be there to shut the gas off. The handle of the valve should be parallel to the gas pipe to turn them on.

Then light the stove to be sure that you have gas in the lines at least to the point of the stove.

Then remove the round cap cover you will find on the left side of the combustion chamber, about half way up. With a flashlight, look inside to see where the pilot light assembly is located. Then with a propane gas lighter, bathe that area with flame while pulling out on the black nob mentioned earlier. It might take up to two or three minutes to get gas to the pilot light and have it produce a flame. Once the flame has burned for about 45 seconds, you can release the black knob and see if the flame sustains. If not, pull the knob, and re light holding the knob out longer until the flame sustains.

Only after that is done, can you turn the thermostat up and see if the main burner ignites.

The whole process is a royal PITA and is why new furnaces have electronic ignition and no pilot light.

If you have no center black knob with "pull" on it, you have a newer furnace with the electronic ignition. With those, all you need to do is to have the gas on, and turn the thermostat up and wait and hope that the electronics work, and the furnace will light off.

That should get you started anyway.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
To add to idroba's excellent instructions.
You must have the thermostat turned all the way down.
If the fan is running. You will have no success in lighting the pilot.
The furnace in our '74 Argosy has a small door on the left. Open it and there are lighting instructions.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:47 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Just a word of caution. Some of these old furnaces in our old trailers get rusty and start leaking combustion fumes inside the trailer. The NT 24 may be a newer furnace. Anyway, make sure your Carbon Monoxide detector is close by and working.

By the way, welcome to Air Forums. Your 68 Overlander is a fine trailer. Enjoy it.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:04 AM   #5
Sun Rae

1977 Argosy 28
Lewisburg , Tennessee
My 77 argosy has a nt22a but you push the black button also has a square button top left witch is a spring loaded stricter for pilot light
The see through cap is for lighting or viewing may also try cleaning with a vacuum cleaner

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
jack9443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 10:09 PM   #6
Sun Rae

1977 Argosy 28
Lewisburg , Tennessee

Name:   IMG_3732.JPG
Views: 478
Size:  94.2 KB
jack9443 is offline   Reply With Quote