RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-02-2020, 03:32 PM   #1

Falls Church , Virginia
Help Removing Gas Regulator From My Main Gas Line

Hello Everyone. These forums have been a wealth of information to me over the years so I thought I would see if the community could help me with my problem.

I own a 2019 30' Flying Cloud Bunk with a gas regulator that wasn't working properly, so I decided to replace it. Despite many attempts, I was unable to loosen the bolt connecting the regulator to the main gas line to the trailer. As was recommended, I used one wrench to hold the gas regulator while using another wrench to turn the bolt. In my efforts, I managed to damage the old gas regulator, which isn't too problematic as it wasn't working anyway.

However, I now have the remnants of my old gas regulator still attached to the gas line, which I am unable to remove. I've tried using WD-40 to loosen the bolt to no avail.

Has anyone had this happen to them? Does anyone have any advice on how I can loosen the bolt that connects the gas regulator to the main gas line?

Thanks in advance everyone.
airgoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 03:38 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Safari
Denver , North Carolina
I wish I could go out and confirm this but gas fittings are often counter to regular fittings. Not RIGHTY TIGHTY. Just a suggestion and I can take the hits if I'm wrong. I watched a group of mighty men try and remove a wheellugs on a truck wheel for over an hour, some truck wheels are threaded "backwards" for some reason I forget right now. It took an oldtimer to walk up and point that out...then sit back and smile.
mbubbaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 06:40 PM   #3

Falls Church , Virginia
Thanks mbubbaca. Very helpful.

Can anyone confirm whether the thread on the bolt between the gas regulator and the main gas line is actually lefty tightly instead of the usual righty tighty?

Thanks
airgoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 07:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by airgoopy View Post
Thanks mbubbaca. Very helpful.

Can anyone confirm whether the thread on the bolt between the gas regulator and the main gas line is actually lefty tightly instead of the usual righty tighty?

Thanks
If they are indeed reversed threads, as gas lines typically are, the nut will have a small groove cut into each of the flats to designate it as reversed thread.

No groove, no reverse thread.

Pretty sure the threads on the regulator are not reversed.
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 07:44 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2016 23' International
Long Beach , California
The gas line coming out of the regulator is normal tapered (clockwise—tight) thread.

Sometimes the pipe dope/sealer applied to the threads can cause the fittings to bind up.

You’ll need to give it more elbow grease and perhaps step up to 2 medium size pipe wrenches.
Seanlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 07:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
When I last replaced pigtails and hose on my regulator this year they were all standard threads, not reversed. The old POL fittings with the brass nose were left hand threads and have the grooves.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Heat the connection with a torch . . . Oh, wait a minute, that's not a good idea. . . . That could go boom!
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 11:40 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Twin Falls , Idaho
Picture??

You keep saying 'Bolt'. Do you have a picture?

Is it actually a bolt, or is it:
1. Fitting coming out of the bottom of the regulator (which I think is a hose on that new of an Airstream)
2. Pig tail going into the regulator.

All of the fittings should screw on normal (righty tighty). I think the only thing that has reverse threads are the internal threads of the OPD fitting on the tanks themselves.

One more thought, it's completely disconnected from your tanks, Correct?
Have you ran the supply line clear, meaning you run your stove top until it burns all the gas out?

Maybe take a heat gun on a low setting to gently heat up the fitting then try to loosen the fitting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	regulator.PNG
Views:	15
Size:	291.2 KB
ID:	382508  
Old 11-03-2020, 12:30 PM   #9
Jim J

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Try heating with boiling water

I have had success in the past with pouring boiling water out of a teakettle over stuck threaded fittings, Wait a little but before you grab the fitting to loosen the connection so you do not burn your hands.
Jim J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 01:12 AM   #10
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Take the regulator and hose and put it in a vise. Then, with the correct size wrench turn it in the tighten (righty tight) just enough to disengage the back side of the threads. Now, try loosening the hose fitting. When it turns you will have both sides of the threads loose. The dissimilar metals have probably cause the fitting to seize. You might want to try soaking the fitting with liquid wrench to soften things up first.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote