Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-17-2006, 07:54 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Joseph , Oregon
heater help

Trying to get the heater going in a 1971 Sovereign need some help? I have checked the lines for gas and all seems to working, spark at starter and have tried lighting with match but nothing.

Thanks
trea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 08:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
You need two things besides the gas, full operating 12.6VDC and the fan to be at a high enough speed to close the sail switch that allows the gas valve to turn on assuming the gas valve is in good working order.

garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 08:56 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Joseph , Oregon
The fan that runs the blower, and not to sound dumb but the sail switch?
The heater worked so I am assuming the gas valve is good, but is there a way to check?

Larry
Old 10-17-2006, 09:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Are you talking about lighting the pilot light ?
Light the stove range burners to get all the air out of the system before lighting the pilot light.
Furnance sequience is Thermostat calls for heat;
The fan comes on and must come up to full speed this allows the sail switch to close after that the furance gas valve will open and the furnance lights.
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:44 PM   #5
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Hi, Trea,

Well, you need the gas valve under the trailer open FULLY (valve handle inline with the pipes) *and* the gas valve on the tank open. If your heater is one of the autostart, pilotless models, then you may need to cycle it, waiting ten minutes between tries, before it will fire. I lit off mine for the first time this winter today, and it took three tries before it would light. I watched in the little window each time, and it was obvious when the gas got to it - it lit right off.

I then let it cycle off and back on, which it did several hours later. I had it set for 80!

Tomorrow I'll dust out the cat heater and give it a try, too.

I bought this trailer in Michigan, and they were SERIOUS about their heat. It has the furnace, the cat heater, and the heater strip in the old Armstrong A/C.

Hmm... I just reread. I don't think you could try lighting one of the pilotless models with a match. If it has a standing pilot, I'd try some other things, too. One is to determine if the fan is blowing enough to trip the sail switch, which has to happen before it will turn on the gas.

If that's working, then the gas valve would be the next thing to check. Also, some of the heaters of the 70's had a service bulletin on them about an air "pipe" or hose that would crack and provide a CO hazard. A search of the forum should find more info about that.

If you're not comfortable messing around with propane appliances, be safe instead of sorry and take it to a professional. (Who will, of course, want to sell you a new heater.)

Good luck with this.

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 07:40 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Joseph , Oregon
I got the heater going today what a great feeling
Old 10-20-2006, 10:37 PM   #7

1972 21' Globetrotter
cincinnati , Ohio
Heater Woes

I have a 62 21 foot Globetrotter I've been fooling around with for a few years. Havn't done anything in several years and tried to start the heater, no luck. New propane tanks and the stove top burners light. I can get the pilot to light but no burners in the heater. I'm plugged into 110 vdc and have 12 volt lights working inside.
As an aside, I've never been able to get the oven working, but a few years ago I did have heat.
Fridge does not work even on 110 vdc.

I'm interested in getting the heater working first, then the fridge. Need some help.

Thanks.

Steve Statkus
sstatkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 02:24 AM   #8
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
Hi steve;
have you checked the temperature small box adjust, on the wall ... if this set is too low, your heater 'll not work...
may be too much simple so always beginning the searches by the simple things and that is one !

Bruno.
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote