Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2008, 02:19 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 16' International CCD
Boulder , Colorado
Hating my Bambi Tank Cover

Hey all,
I just got a 2007 16' Bambi International CCD and (of course) i love it. but I'm hating the propane tank cover. Every night when i pull into a site i have to unscrew it and drag it off the tanks, making a loud noise that annoys the neighbors.
Anyone ever custom cut the top of the tank cover and installed a hinged flap that would let you turn the gas on and off without removing the cover? I've got someone who can do the custom work, im just wondering if there is an easier way to get to the tanks.
(thank god for the air forums, if it weren't for you all I'd still be trying to tow my rig with a tricycle.)
thanks.
unclemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 05:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Just remove it. Vintage Airstreams did not have a cover. Aluminum tanks would make it pretty too!
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:54 AM   #3
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
got ya covered

Hi Max!
I'm not sure what your tank cover looks like.

On my 95 Classic, the cover is hinged to allow for access to the valves.

You might want to look into replacing your cover with another cover from another model AS.

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 07:05 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' International CCD
Cheyenne , Wyoming
I have an '08 16' Bambi. To lessen the noise I pull out (away from the AS) on the support/hold down rod to clear my AS skin. I only pull up just enough to reach in through the top and spin open whichever tank I am using.
Hope this helps.
Brian
Blog
WyoRacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 07:16 AM   #5
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
For the first year we had a tank cover on the Safari. We had to lift it up and down when we set-up our hitch. A royal pain. The we got smart - replaced the two white 20# tanks with new 30# aluminum tanks. Now not only were we able to discard the cover, we have more LP and it looks really great!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:55 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
The 2008 entry level SS line has a less fancy plastic cover with two twist off ports to access each valve. Plus, it lifts off quietly. If you don't mind a less expensive, perhaps a bit less stylish cover, maybe worth a look at the parts dept?

Whizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 09:34 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
I'm not sure what your cover looks like, but you may be able to install one or two waterproof marine deck plates to gain access to the valves for a reasonable price. Available in locking, screw out, and pry out models in different colors.
Check out Boat Building and Woodworking Supplies and search under
"Beckson deck plates"
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 09:47 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Unless you are planning to travel through a tunnel, why turn it off? I tow with it on and my refrigerator running on it (before I get slammed -- I never, ever fuel with the gas on) although, in honesty, lots of folks on this forum think that is stupid. But I think many would agree that simple towing with the gas on but everything turned off is not all that high risk.

I don't know which regulator your Airstream came with but if it is the automatic switchover type it would be nice if you had a way to peek at it to see if your selected tank is dry.

Just my 2 cents...

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:45 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier , California
Unclemax----The tank cover "top" on mine consists of a horizontal flat plate rivited to the vertical wall surround. This plate is located about 4 inches below the top of the surround. I cut 4 inch diameter holes in this plate directly above the valve handle. The holes were trimmed out with 1/4 inch diameter plastic tubing. I used the split, black colored, automotive elec wire harness tubing. Saves the wrists. Didn't bother to fab a closure. That's it. After three years, still happy with the fix.
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:15 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Hmmm. Our tank cover has a hinged top that opens up...I'll bet you could get one from an AS dealer to fit your rig...can't be that different. We also leave our gas on all the time, so the fridge can run while in tow...(we usually turn the frig off when we refuel so ther's nothing running on gas while we're refueling)...so we don''t have to even open the tanks cover except to check whether we've used one of the two tanks...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 04:37 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2007 16' International CCD
Boulder , Colorado
Thanks!

Hey folks, thanks for all the great suggestions, good to know what everyone tried and whats been working. I think i'm going to go with the custom work to cut some holes to access that tanks. Now if they would only ask US before they design these suckers in the first place! Thanks again for all the good advice.
unclemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 07:59 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Being totally an idiot I never shut the gas off. Just make sure the wife and dog get out for exercise when refueling. The important note here is insurance is always paid up.

i really do not why a premium product like a/s does not offer a 3 way fridge. every rv we have ever had offered 12v to keep the ice box cool on long runs. o well, ours does not even have a micro wave. Go figure.
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote