Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2022, 06:44 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
Exclamation Hard to recertify my propane tanks?

My aluminum propane tanks are due for recertification. I called Amerigas, where I had them recertified 5 years ago, and they are balking at redoing the recert. Not for technical reasons, but because they do not have the manpower because of COVID. I am still working with them to find a solution, but what if they won't do it?! They are the only ones in this area I can find. Where else can I turn if they refuse??
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 06:49 PM   #2
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
What's the nearest town with a propane dealer?

Otherwise, will they let you leave them with their shop so they can get them done as soon as they have a person available? The shop I use normally does them while you wait in just a few minutes, but they also let people drop off tanks when they're busy.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 06:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
I live near Colorado Springs. Last recert, I dropped them off and got them back three days later. Now, that shop is not even answering their phone. I got the "national" customer service person to agree to try to get me an "appointment". We'll see...
Old 01-19-2022, 09:32 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
I think there is a Tractor Supply Co there in Monument. Have you checked with them? Some of their locations can recertify
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
I just bought some recert stickers on-line and wrote in numbers that I also found on line.

Ran out of LP last season, brought the tank to be refilled, guy saw the stamped date on my tank and said, can't refill...I said check the recert sticker....said, oh, ok, great and filled it up.

Have you seen what many places do for recert? Not a lot more than that. I spray the tanks with soapy water to check for leaks and such, but I feel, though not totally unwarranted, it's basically a cash grab....sure there is some level of safety to it, but having seen a few recerts and only one place replacing the valve, seems more a cash cow in most (not all) cases.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 10:01 AM   #6
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by panamerican View Post
I just bought some recert stickers on-line and wrote in numbers that I also found on line.

Ran out of LP last season, brought the tank to be refilled, guy saw the stamped date on my tank and said, can't refill...I said check the recert sticker....said, oh, ok, great and filled it up.

Have you seen what many places do for recert? Not a lot more than that. I spray the tanks with soapy water to check for leaks and such, but I feel, though not totally unwarranted, it's basically a cash grab....sure there is some level of safety to it, but having seen a few recerts and only one place replacing the valve, seems more a cash cow in most (not all) cases.
The place that did my tanks did more than what you described. The guy checked all the valves and safety devices for compliance with the latest standards and checked everything over for condition, including the condition of the metal, the welds, and even the seals in the valve. He said that he checks to be sure they will last until the next certification is needed.

Given that most people using propane tanks don't have a clue how to evaluate their safety, it seems to me that it's a good idea to have them inspected from time to time. Last thing I want is the tanks at the next camp site to leak and cause a problem - it won't just be his rig and family injured but everyone around.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 10:55 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
Yea, I realized when I posted that there may be some push back and you are right, it is a safety thing that most folks don't get. I am fortunate enough to have some skill sets to inspect the tank(s) and call me obsessive compulsive, but I actually throw a coat of wax on my tanks to keep them in great external shape. I realize that does jack for the insides as these rust from within mostly over time, but in most cases unless it's god awful, most of those recertifications can't see if the tank is pre-failure due to internal rust.

The OPD valves are an easy test as is the soapy water thing. I'm not one to trifle with mass quantities of flammable material, but overall propane is fairly safe. So with that and my basic skill sets, I'm comfortable putting my own sticker on the tanks. I'm sure there are some very reputable places that do more than just the basic visual and that's great....I keep thinking of the 80s and 90s when folks had LP grills and had the tanks for 25 years kept refilling and had no issues....but of course, it only takes one misstep.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 11:09 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
1961 28' Ambassador
1968 26' Overlander
Lakewood , Colorado
Hello, I use and recommend A&A propane in Wheatridge, I70 and Wadsworth, perhaps inconvenient but they're there, open and happy to do it. They've done 3 sets of vintage tanks for me in the last 4-5 years. Will also make any custom hose you can dream up while you wait.
Good luck, Mark D
mrdes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 11:26 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdes8 View Post
Hello, I use and recommend A&A propane in Wheatridge, I70 and Wadsworth, perhaps inconvenient but they're there, open and happy to do it. They've done 3 sets of vintage tanks for me in the last 4-5 years. Will also make any custom hose you can dream up while you wait.
Good luck, Mark D
Mark,

Thank you very much. At least I have a place I can drive to. Did they do them while you waited?

I am still waiting to hear back from Amerigas.

Thanks, Dave
Old 01-19-2022, 11:30 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich W View Post
I think there is a Tractor Supply Co there in Monument. Have you checked with them? Some of their locations can recertify
Yes, There is, but they do not do recerts.
Old 01-19-2022, 11:31 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by panamerican View Post
Yea, I realized when I posted that there may be some push back and you are right, it is a safety thing that most folks don't get. I am fortunate enough to have some skill sets to inspect the tank(s) and call me obsessive compulsive, but I actually throw a coat of wax on my tanks to keep them in great external shape. I realize that does jack for the insides as these rust from within mostly over time, but in most cases unless it's god awful, most of those recertifications can't see if the tank is pre-failure due to internal rust.

The OPD valves are an easy test as is the soapy water thing. I'm not one to trifle with mass quantities of flammable material, but overall propane is fairly safe. So with that and my basic skill sets, I'm comfortable putting my own sticker on the tanks. I'm sure there are some very reputable places that do more than just the basic visual and that's great....I keep thinking of the 80s and 90s when folks had LP grills and had the tanks for 25 years kept refilling and had no issues....but of course, it only takes one misstep.
Is this legal? I thought it required a certified propane dealer?
Old 01-19-2022, 12:01 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
1961 28' Ambassador
1968 26' Overlander
Lakewood , Colorado
So, AAA not A&A, sorry. Due to my tanks all being 60/70's vintage recert has always included OPD valve replace/install. 7405 W. 44th Ave, Wheatridge, 303-425-7623.
Mark D
mrdes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 12:10 PM   #13
Rivet Master

You could always do a couple of different things:

1. Take an online class to get your cert, then get a DOT number, that would allow you to cert others while out camping, writing off the trip as a business expense.

2. Purchase a POL-2-POL Propane Pigtail, this would allow you to just get a standard gas grill tank, use the pigtail as the connection to the tank for the trailer, and gravity fill your trailer tanks yourself. You will need to turn the gas grill tank upside-down during the filling process.

3. Purchase a used "hot air balloon" propane tank that has a POL connection and gravity fill. Note: you will not need to turn the hot air balloon tank upside-down, since they draw liquid propane off the bottom of the tank.

Just a thought,
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2022, 03:47 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
Is this legal? I thought it required a certified propane dealer?

Short answer, NO it is not legal.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 04:49 PM   #15

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I just got mine recertified - it was their first time being recertified. The guys at the local propane delivery shop did it. The guy literally just sprayed some soapy water on them to check for leaks, then he stuck a sticker on one, and forgot the other one, but then he also forgot to charge us for the recertifying (realized all this after we got home) so I guess all's fair.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 03:20 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
Thumbs up Problem Resolved

I found a smaller propane company on the south side of Colorado Springs that was happy to recertify my tanks at no cost, just the price of refilling them. The company is Glaser Energy Group. Nice people!

I still have not heard back from Amerigas. Very poor customer service.