Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2019, 04:48 PM   #1

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Ft Collins , Colorado
Generator proble

have a 2014 airstream interstate ext with an Onan 2.5 generator with about 104 hours on it.
Here’s the problem:
It cranks and starts, but immediately stops. Sometimes it will start and run for a few seconds and then stops, sometimes it stops immediately after starting. One time it ran for a few minutes before stoping.

I took it to a Cummins/Onan dealer and here’s what they did:
They originally thought it was ignition coil.
-Ignition Coil and associated parts replaced and spark plug replaced.
Still wasn’t working and they got an error code indicating the control board was bad.
-Control Board was replaced.

Generator then worked good on the bench. They connected generator back to RV and it would not start again (acted the same way it did before I took to shop).

They left generator on the RV and connected it to their propane tank and the generator worked good. We ran the AC and microwave and the generator continued to run well.

Connected the generator back to RV propane and it would not start. The stove top burners would work, but the generator was still acting as it originally did.
He changed one of the propane hoses that appeared to be kinked, but that didn’t resolve the problem.
He checked the regulator and said it wasn’t working properly and needed to be replaced. They didn’t have one and I had to leave, so I figured I could get a replacement and change myself. Later I replaced the regulator and it’s still acting the same way it originally did.

The propane switch is flipped on and the tank is full. The stove top burners work.
The battery disconnect is on.
The inverter is off.
The house battery at 100%.
I’ve tried starting the generator with the vehicle engine on and off.

Any suggestions on what the problem might be or where I could go to have it looked at?
2thrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:07 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2016 23' International
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thrver View Post
have a 2014 airstream interstate ext with an Onan 2.5 generator with about 104 hours on it.
Here’s the problem:
It cranks and starts, but immediately stops. Sometimes it will start and run for a few seconds and then stops, sometimes it stops immediately after starting. One time it ran for a few minutes before stoping.

I took it to a Cummins/Onan dealer and here’s what they did:
They originally thought it was ignition coil.
-Ignition Coil and associated parts replaced and spark plug replaced.
Still wasn’t working and they got an error code indicating the control board was bad.
-Control Board was replaced.

Generator then worked good on the bench. They connected generator back to RV and it would not start again (acted the same way it did before I took to shop).

They left generator on the RV and connected it to their propane tank and the generator worked good. We ran the AC and microwave and the generator continued to run well.

Connected the generator back to RV propane and it would not start. The stove top burners would work, but the generator was still acting as it originally did.
He changed one of the propane hoses that appeared to be kinked, but that didn’t resolve the problem.
He checked the regulator and said it wasn’t working properly and needed to be replaced. They didn’t have one and I had to leave, so I figured I could get a replacement and change myself. Later I replaced the regulator and it’s still acting the same way it originally did.

The propane switch is flipped on and the tank is full. The stove top burners work.
The battery disconnect is on.
The inverter is off.
The house battery at 100%.
I’ve tried starting the generator with the vehicle engine on and off.

Any suggestions on what the problem might be or where I could go to have it looked at?

This sounds like a fuel supply problem.

I would hook it up to a remote tank and run loads on it for several minutes to an hour to confirm that the generator is operating properly — once you have that confirmed, look into the propane regulator on your coach.

Also, the asme belly tanks must be super level when full to properly supply enough flow for your generator. I would try running your tank supply down a bit to see if the regulator is cutting off the supply due this.
Seanlb is offline   Reply With Quote