RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-11-2021, 10:04 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Columbus , Ohio
Gas sniffer beeps but no bubbles showing

Hi all, I just hooked up all the gas lines on my renovated 1972 overlander. Iím not getting any bubbles when I spray the connections, but when I use the gas detector I bought Iím getting a reading of detecting gas. Does anyone know if itís normal to get some residual fumes at the connections that would make the gas sniffer go off or should there be absolutely zero readind? Thanks for any info!
action95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 11:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
There should be no gas detected. Does the detector go off randomly away from gas fittings?
If not there are likely small leaks. What are you using for the soap test? If you're not using a soap formulated for leaks it may not have enough surface tension.
Old 01-12-2021, 06:51 AM   #3
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Another of my dumb questions.
Is it a LP detector?

Bob
🇺🇸

ďChange is the new normal, if nothing changes, nothing is normal, everything changes, everything is normal.Ē
RLC

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:22 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Columbus , Ohio
Thank you for your replies. It is just dish soap, so that may be the problem. The detector had several gases listed that it will detect
Old 01-12-2021, 07:24 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Columbus , Ohio
No, it was not going off randomly, and I have to keep it there for a few seconds before it will start going off. It seems to be coming out where the female fitting goes on to the gas pipe, not where the male and female connect, if that makes sense.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:30 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
You can get the gas leak soap from amazon or at Home Depot, but you may want to remake the the suspected fitting. if they are pipe threads, you'll want teflon tape on it. If it is flare or knurled tubing, take it apart, clean the mating surface and inspect for damage, scratches, pitting or gouges. Good luck.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:52 AM   #7
Any day now....

Currently Looking...
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
You can get the gas leak soap from amazon or at Home Depot, but you may want to remake the the suspected fitting. if they are pipe threads, you'll want teflon tape on it. If it is flare or knurled tubing, take it apart, clean the mating surface and inspect for damage, scratches, pitting or gouges. Good luck.
And if it's NOT pipe threads, by no means should you use teflon tape.
ProPride 3P w/ 1400 lb. spring bars
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:02 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Allegan , Michigan
The gas detectors can be very sensitive - which is a good thing. I have had good luck on threaded fittings using a blue colored pipe dope (Mega Block?); if you need the brand name let me know and I'll see if I can find the can in the shop. As far as teflon tape goes, I think they make a special yellow tape for gas. But I gave up on teflon, the blue pipe dope works better.

Good luck, Whit Nash
rwnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 10:10 AM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The detector is doing exactly what you bought it to do. It's spotting a leak that would be hard to find by other means. It just paid for it's self

Easy answer normally is to rebuild any joint(s) it does not seem to like. You can play with bubble stuff, but some leaks are hard to find that way.

When you pull this or that joint apart, check ( = examine visually ) both fittings. That may be hard to do, but if one is damaged / defective (it does happen ...) you will go around in a lot of circles rebuilding stuff. Same thing applies to the hose and pipe ends themselves. A crack there isn't going to be fixed by some more tape ....

Fun !!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 01:35 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Tallahassee , FL
If you do use Teflon tape make sure it's rated for gas service and not water or liquids.
Kawboy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 02:05 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawboy01 View Post
If you do use Teflon tape make sure it's rated for gas service and not water or liquids.
Yellow Teflon tape, not the more common white stuff.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 10:21 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
The Gas tape is just thicker so it seals a bit better. You can get the same effect if you quadruple wrap the white stuff if you're not able to find the yellow grade.
Old 01-12-2021, 10:37 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Time out. Thatís a shortcut to a propane leak that wonít seal up properly.

The white stuff, no matter how many wraps you put on will not seal propane. Itís just not dense enough. Propane molecules are just too small. Iíve tried that, and gave up. The big box stores carry yellow Teflon, as do most Ace hardware stores.

If you canít find yellow Teflon, use a propane-rated pipe dope stick carefully. Donít let it smear inside the fittings.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:19 AM   #14
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
My experience, I have used white to seal all threads, all applications, wrapping clockwise, tightening carefully and never had a failure.
The only difference is the thickness & $$$$.🤔

Disclaimer...I noe nothing.
Bob
🇺🇸

ďChange is the new normal, if nothing changes, nothing is normal, everything changes, everything is normal.Ē
RLC

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 07:19 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Columbus , Ohio
I appreciate all the responses here. Thanks for the help
Old 01-13-2021, 07:49 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
I will say the yellow gas tape is also a bit more dense coming off the roll than the white tape because the white tape is stretched in the manufacturing process. Again if you overwrap it, the density will increase as it is compressed into the thread gaps. Sure the yellow stuff produces a more reliable seal so it is preferred if you have it.