Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2016, 08:59 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Gas line emergency repair.

I used 5 minute epoxy for a reason, it didn't take me very long, 15 minutes tops. It was COLD...

I thought about cutting and slipping a hose over, but I took what I thought was the fastest way out.

Superat stultitia.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 01:36 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Necessity is the mother of invention.

Having heat was the issue. A proper fix could be done on a warm day.

I just hope I can remember the quick fix. I have lists of these ideas, but finding the lists when needed can be a challenge sometimes....

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 05:37 AM   #23
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I discouragingly commented because it's not in compliance with NFPA 1192, the RV Standard wherein propane plumbing is covered. The patch may work. It may not. Only time will tell. But whether it works or not, it's not in compliance with the RV Standard.

The OP is not obligated to follow NFPA 1192— or even to have read it— since he did the work to his own trailer. If he wants to trust a non-compliant patch on a propane line, that's on him. Our opinions on the matter don't matter.
I thought you folks down N'awlins way used the phrase 'it don't make no matta'

A good old buddy from Houma gave me that one.

As far as commenting on the actual topic………nah……….
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:53 AM   #24
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
I thought you folks down N'awlins way used the phrase 'it don't make no matta'
Naw, I'm not a native New Orleanian, so I attended an educational system that was ranked higher than 47th out of 50 states. Oklahoma— where I spend the majority of my formative years— might still be in the bottom half academically (ranked 30th these days) but at least they teach better English.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:04 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas

Does anyone want to hear how I have installed valves on natural gas supply stubs without turning off the gas?

(Quickly)

Or bead a stubborn tire using starting fluid?

Sometimes a person just has to "get it done".

Superat stultitia.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:21 AM   #26
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Sometimes a person just has to "get it done".
Having been a safety professional— though as a collateral duty at the Corps of Engineers, not as a full-time occupation— I'm never going to let unsafe acts pass without comment.

But as long as you don't perform unsafe acts where I have any authority to stop you, my comments about them can only take the form of advice to the next guy who might be tempted to do the same and not be so lucky as to escape without ill effect.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:32 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas

Having spent a good part of my life on a farm, I learned that sometimes a person has to work with what they have to "get it done".

A little ingenuity can go a long way to meeting this end and can be be safe at the same time.

No matter what a person does, he should be willing to think the process through and consider the possible implications.

Respectfully, you think that my emergency repair was unsafe, but it proved to be perfectly safe for the job I required of it, and then some.

Why do you assume that my repair worked because of "luck" and not a well thought out and completed execution?

Superat stultitia.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:17 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
For me, and maybe just me, my rule of thumb is if it involves LP gas or Electricity I turn it off at the source and call a qualified expert. I agree that I would have the entire section replaced, it's kind of a binary thing to me - it either holds LP at pressure or it doesn't. The problem is when it doesn't and you have no way to know. Now - I've seen people put sturdy rubberized hosing around the exposed gas lines below the trailer to prevent exactly that kind of damage and I think it's a good idea. This reminds me to buy a section of hosing and do that - thank you!
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:23 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lynnwood , Washington
Propane is something you must never compromise with. A proper repair is always the order of the day. If you can't fix it properly, shut down propane at the tanks.

BTW - You got lucky with the patch job. Even a tiny leak could've caused an explosion.

Tom
TomKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:32 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas

Lol, luck had nothing to do with it.

It was reason applied to a practical end.

I found the leak initially after the damage because I smelled propane....

LPG is not a mystical element, it is just a matter of keeping it confined until it is properly consumed.

Superat stultitia.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:47 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Currently Looking...
mesquite , Texas
Guaranteed results!!
if it wasn't for the forum i would be having lots of dull days!
moxie t. moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:07 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Englewood , Colorado
You did great! There are ninies on her that think everything is dangerous. These are the same people that tow with a honda! What you did was improvise on the road with a low pressure gas line (after the regulator), that was probably stronger than the original copper. I don't know why people are more afraid of gas than they are of electricity! And you pressure tested it! No bubbles!
Old 04-20-2016, 08:52 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
[QUOTE=enived2;1779625]You did great! There are ninies on her that think everything is dangerous. These are the same people that tow with a honda!

I don't think you add value by calling those who take the time to give their opinion by calling them names and adding judgement

Ken J
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:27 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, other options would be to shut off the propane tanks, run the stove until it shuts off, and solder the hole in the copper tubing. Or; a short sheet metal screw with a dab of silicone/glue on it, screwed into the puncture hole.. Nothing wrong with making do with whatever you have to work with.

Maybe I shouldn't admit it, but I have changed many light switches and outlets, in my old house, without shutting off any circuit breakers.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:59 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I found out tonight that I am an ENTJ personality, that might explain some of my rebellion toward conventionality...

Low pressure gas does not scare me much, and neither does 120v electricity, but man I hate being shocked...

I turn the power off before working on it. (Although I did find a live one when I was changing out all of my household electric sockets a while back... I misjudged the daisy chain..... )

Superat stultitia.

Old 04-21-2016, 01:51 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I was wiring new ceiling fixtures in the basement of our new house with the lights on. Of course I was using an aluminum ladder. One crimp fitting did not work as planned and I was bounced off the ladder by the 120Vac.

I was putting up the aluminum awning on our mobile home (in the Navy in 1967). I had a metal encased Sears power drill of the day with a three prong plug but the extension cord was two conductor. The concrete was damp. Pulled the trigger and could not let go. I spun around and my arm hit one of the awning uprights and the drill was knocked out of my hand. My wife asked why the funny face. I told her she was lucky I could answer the question now. I acquired a three conductor cord before continuing.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:55 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I know it is wrong for me to laugh about that, getting shocked sucks, but I couldn't help it.

I remember my first shock at about three years old when I put my finger in a light socket.... I have had a few "buzzes" by household current since, and lots and lots of auto ignition shocks... I hate that feeling...

Superat stultitia.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:12 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Although I am sure it would never be recommended by any professional in the field, I likely would have done just as you did - as a temporary measure.

No doubt it would have lasted much much longer!

If memory serves, the standard pressure after the regulator is very low - measured normally in "Inches if water" using a manometer.

I believe the nominal pressure setting is around 11 inches water which is less than one half of one psi, so not a whole lot of stress on your patch job!

If my numbers are not correct I don't think they are far off!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 04:37 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Not trying to hijack the thread but I have a hair raising Propane leak story for you...
Last October I had my 84 Excella 270 motorhome at a festival in NY. I was in a farm field and a old Travco motorhome settled in about 20' parallel to my rig.
The owner (who will remain anonymous) was an old friend and he just bought the Travco as his first motorhome. He barely had enough money to put gas in this thing, and he was planning on living in it at festivals in the North East, this was his maiden run.

We chatted for a bit and I went to bed that night and the next morning there was a lot of commotion outside.
I heard calls for fire extinguishers needed, so I got up to take a look and black smoke was coming from the Travco.
Everyone was out of the smoking Travco, and since I was only 20' away, I decided it was not a good place for my Airstream so I disconnected everything keeping me from moving and I pulled away from the problem.
Next I brought my 6 pound dry chem extinguisher to help. There was a pile of empty one pound extinguishers in front of the fridge compartment of the Travco. Someone came with a pry bar and pulled the fridge grill off and I used my 5 pounder to kill the bulk of the fire.

Fast forwarding to the cleanup;
The Travco mostly had smoke and dry chem powder residue, the guy made out fairly well, considering.

It turns out this is what happened: I guess the RV fridge died in his new wheels so they replaced it with a mini electric fridge. (Many of you can guess what comes next)
In the morning they wanted to cook some eggs on the RV stove, so he went out to turn on the propane tank and then went back inside to light the stove. Now you can picture a surprised Travco owner, as everything went POOF!
So, leaving out the remainder of the gritty details, he had a lesson that, if you do not plug the gas line that went to the old RV fridge before you turn on the gas and try and run other propane appliances, you may experience extreme embarrassment, or even death.
Fortunately it was only embarrassment and not death or total loss of his motorhome.
Just to be safe, I will not let him park near me again, and maybe I will upgrade to a 10 pound extinguisher, just in case?
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:49 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I had a semi truck catch on fire once due to improperly routed battery cables. It took a 2 1/2 pounder, two five pounders and half of a ten pounder to put it out.

I recommend a 5 pounder AT LEAST for any RV.

Superat stultitia.