Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-05-2010, 10:04 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Unhappy gas leak at inlet to regulator

my 2010 19' bambi has a little lp leaking where the hose connects into the inlet on the regulator. i was worried. had a guy ,rv medic, come to fix the leak. he tightened the nut,checked it and called it good. i checked it and it is still oozing a little lp cause i saw the tiny bubbles (don ho). could anybody tell me if there is plumbers putty used in that connection to help seal it cause i see something that looks like that and maybe i could do this myself. the rv medic did say if it was still leaking he would comeback and put some "ggok" in it. oh man. i need to get this done befor we leave next week. any help appreciated.
dsrtgrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:03 AM   #2
reo
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' Safari SE
satellite beach , Florida
Yes, there is a pipe thread compound specifically for gas (LP) products. you may also use a type of thread tape made for this purpose also. The tape should be available in a typical hardware store. These products are used only on pipe threads, nothing goes on the flared fittings.
reo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
You can also use teflon tape on the threads. Just be sure to get the yellow knd meant for gas lines. Don't use the white kind meant for water & air lines.

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:40 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

thanks for the response. i look forward to the day i will better know what i am doing. i am assuming there should be no lp leaking from anywhere other than the normal venting of the tanks that they do naturally?.
dsrtgrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:56 AM   #5
x

XXXX , XXXX
dsrtsgirls: Your tanks should not "vent propane naturally". If they are venting propane out through the valve they are overfilled. A propane tank will not release propane into the atmosphere unless the pressure in the tank is too great. If the tank is overfilled and there is no room for the gas too expand once the tank and gas heats up it will trigger the pressure release valve and vent it to lower the pressure and not burst the tank. Please make sure that wherever you are having your tanks filled they are aware of the proper filling procedure and do not overfill them. This "venting" results in a very dangerous situation where raw propane could find a source of ignition ie: pilot lights, campfires etc. and could result in a fire or explosion. I have found a lot of gas stations that sell propane gas do not always have properly trained staff filling tanks (actually called cylinders). Ask the attendant if they are trained and licensed to dispense propane, if not run away as fast as you can and report this station to the proper authorities. This kind of irresponsible behaviour by station operators is an accident waiting to happen. Please always transport your cylinders in an upright position and secured from movement and properly ventilated. Do not put cylinders loose in the trunk of your car and let them roll around. I transport mine in the back seat and use the seat belts to secure them and travel with the windows open to ensure proper ventilation. Place an old sheet under the tanks to protect your seats. If you transport them in the back of a pickup also make sure they are secure and can not roll around possibly damaging the cylinder or the valve.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:36 AM   #6
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
If it's still leaking after being tightened once I'd get out the tap and die and chase the threads on both sides and reassemble with a high quality paste pipe dope such as Rectorseal #5. Otherwise it might be easiest to replace the regulator and hose.

I've done a lot of plumbing and have come to two conclusions: 1) the tape dope doesn't seal as well as paste dope. 2) When tapered threads don't seal it's usually because they were cut at the factory with worn-out dies that leave the bottom of the threads rounded.

I would be extremely cautious about tapping a regulator inlet though because of the potential for metal filings to cause the needle valve to stick open.

The problem with just putting more dope on it and tightening it down is that you run the risk of cracking the housing, and if the threads are cut wrong it won't seal properly anyway.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:12 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tyler , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post

I've done a lot of plumbing and have come to two conclusions: 1) the tape dope doesn't seal as well as paste dope. 2) When tapered threads don't seal it's usually because they were cut at the factory with worn-out dies that leave the bottom of the threads rounded.
I seem to have a slight leak where the supply line threads into one of the horizontal tanks. Would it be advisable to use the pipe paste/ tape on this connection?
tvanwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:52 AM   #8
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
dsrtsgirls: Your tanks should not "vent propane naturally".
It can happen without overfilling; refillable cylinders have a bleeder valve, that valve has to be opened in order to fill the tank (vapor has to be displaced in order for liquid to flow in). If the filler neglected to completely close the bleeder valve, then vapor can leak out through the bleeder valve.

See Propane Bottle and LP Gas Cylinder Filling for more info.