Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-01-2012, 08:22 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
Gas feed to fridge

When traveling the gas feed stops at times to the fridge. When we check at stops, sometimes the fridge is on and at other times the LP light is blinking and we have to restart. When we restart, the pilot flame comes on immediately. On a trip from Bakersfield to Kingman yesterday the gas went out 3 times. Not good when crossing the dessert.

We have had the gas pressure checked twice, once yesterday, and that is normal. The flame is bright and the burner is clean. Both repair shops have said they can find nothing wrong.

This is an 07 Safari. Any suggestions?

Thanks;

John
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:37 AM   #2
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Are all the wind baffles in place to protect the flame from blowing out?

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
There was a recall on Dometic refrigerators and yours might be on the list. I have an '06, same trailer and have had no problems traveling even during large wind storms.

There was a one in a zillion chance that, given perfect circumstances, a fire could start in the area the pilot light is burning and spread to the coach. Their fix was to install a baffle around the heat tube so that if a fire breaks out it would not spread. One of the end results of this baffle was to reduce the chance of a pilot light blow out, at least that is my take on it.

You can check with Dometic and see if your unit is on the recall list. The fix is relatively quick and easy and will be done at not cost to you. I had a different trailer that had to be "fixed" so when I brought my used Airstream to the dealer for some regular maintenance I asked them to check the fridge. They did and they installed the baffle. This was 3 years ago.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Just so you know.............

Your refrigerators DO NOT HAVE A PILOT LIGHT. The LP side is controlled by an electronic igniter board that utilized Direct Spark Ignition, commonly referred to as DSI. It will try to ignite the LP burner 3 times, after which it will go to lock-out and you will have to turn the LP switch off and on again to re-set it.

It is entirely possible that you do not have the wind screen in front of the burner area. This might cause your burner to flame out when traveling, and your igniter board will lock out after trying to re-ignite the burner. Do to Start - Dometic to see if your unit requires a recall to be installed.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:54 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
My unit is not on the recall list. The stock baffle is in place. The repair shop took it off, adjusted it and put it back on yesterday. We will be on the road today and will check it.

Sounds like we need the recall fix even if we are not on the list. We have emailed Dometic but received no reply.

Thanks for the input.

John
Old 05-01-2012, 09:08 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
Just to be clear. The stock baffle is a small metal box around the flame that can be removed by taking out one screw.

John