RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 08-02-2020, 10:01 AM   #1

1977 31' Sovereign
Randolph , VT
Fresh Water Tank for 1977 Sovereign 31'

I would like to replace my fresh water tank but I'm having a hard time locating a new one. I guess the style changed in 1975 because my tank has a square void in the middle that allows it to be affixed to the frame by a plate. Vintage Trailer Supply doesn't seem to sell this type. Any suggestions where I can locate a new one?
Attached Images

Vermonter68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 11:38 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Senatobia , Mississippi
Vermonter68 - did you have any luck finding a replacement fresh water tank?
I'm getting ready to reinstall my tanks and was hoping to find a new replacement but it's not looking hopeful.

Also looking for new gray and black tanks but not having much luck there either.

Thanks,
Kevin
kscarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 08:29 AM   #3

1977 31' Sovereign
Randolph , VT
No luck, I'm afraid. I have been advised to install a water tank on deck, not below the subfloor. This will also help with freezing.
Vermonter68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 08:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Hello: Polyurethane plastic tanks can be repaired if your is leaking. A fresh water tank is pretty straight forward with a fill port, and drain port, and a suction port for the pump located where you need them. Otherwise a rectangular tank of the width, length and height you have room for will do the job.

We reused our 76 Sovereign fresh water tank after cleaning it. I kinda wish we hadn't. The tank is poorly designed in my view. The pump suction line is routed to that center square area. That is a long draw for the pump. The drain port is a plastic pipe thread which almost always end up leaking. Same with the fill port.

Inca Plastics in California is a rotomolder with a big catalog of tanks. I looked in their Airstream catalog but did not see the Sovereign fresh water tanks. Inca Plasitics can spin weld fittings where you say you want them. I use their rubber grommets which makes the job a bit easier.

http://www.incaplastics.com/Inca%20RV%20Catalog.pdf

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1910 Fresh Water Tank 2-800x600.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	383195  
WBCCI #8607
VAC Region 11

See my 1966 Trade Wind Renovation Documentation:
Knowledge Base Airstream Trailers

See my 1975 Overlander Improvement Journal:

See our 1976 Sovereign Renovation Project:
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 12:48 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Senatobia , Mississippi
Vermonter68 - Want to keep as much storage space as possible so definitely want to keep it below the floor.

David - shipping cost gets to be so high for those big tanks I will most likely reuse the one I have unless I can find something local. Was thinking about moving my tank fill to the road side so all my services would be on the same side. Do you see any reason why I could not just rotate my tank 180 degrees so the tank fill would be on the street side?

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 11-16-2020, 05:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Hello Kevin: You are right, shipping costs from California (Inca Plastics) is about 50% of the cost of the tank. A $250 tank can cast $150 to ship.

I wonder if Airstream doesn't now provide fresh water fill from the street side of the trailer. It makes sense. There are considerations for making the change. Rotating the tank 180 may mess up some clearance detail on the tank. There is a fill boss on the tank, and then the needed subfloor access for the fill line. There is the pump suction line to consider. The shorter this line is to the pump, the better. There is a tank drain port to consider. And there is the tank level sensors and wiring to the "control center" to consider.

Airstream used to provide a "tee" in the city water line with a couple of valves so a guy could fill the fresh tank while connected to city water. My 66 Trade Wind had this, and my son's 69 Globetrotter has this feature. But I suppose people would wonder off leaving the water on to the fresh tank and create a huge lake around the trailer. Water would flow out the tank vent tube.

David
WBCCI #8607
VAC Region 11

Old 11-22-2020, 07:37 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Senatobia , Mississippi
David - that is exactly what I'm hoping to do. Have one water connection with a selector valve to switch between filling the fresh tank or providing city water. I'm sure with a little more research I should be able to find what I need.

Vermonter68 - After a lot of research this is the closet to the OEM tank I have found. It has a hole in the middle so the center support can still be used. It's about 1" thicker which I will take care of by adding a spacer between the bottom of the frame and the tank shield.

https://www.recpro.com/44-gallon-rv-...tics-epi-4685/

Going to add a lift to my axles so I should not have to worry about ground clearance.
Old 11-27-2020, 06:47 PM   #8

1977 31' Sovereign
Arras , British Columbia
Hey there Kevin,

You are not alone, my '77 31 foot appears to have had the same tank as well. Not too sure why there is apparently different tanks seemingly used on the same manufacturer year. As some seem to fit around a "rib"(I may have missed something in my searching though). From what I've been able to find it appear the frames may have been made differently as well. At least from what I can tell given the second image in the link attached. https://highskyrvparts.com/new-airst...rstream-107014

The old tank was thrown out by the PO. By any chance do you have the measurements from your old tank? As measuring the void left is a poor substitute for measuring the tank.

Thanks for posting about your searches. For a over a year there I was unable to find others accounts of these same darned tanks.
dolfindanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Hi: The link to HighSki RV Airstream model years 70-75 fresh water tank. There was a major design change for Airstream in the 1976 model year. Airstream installed a 1/2" plywood subfloor (was 3/4") and the frame had significantly more steel in it probably to accommodate the thinner subfloor.

Anyway, I would expect a fresh water tank design change between these two model years. The photo I posted above was from a 76 Sovereign.

Here is a photo of the fresh water tank out of my wife's 86 Limited 34'. You can see the configuration differences between 76 and 86 model years. The square cut out toward the top right of the photo has no purpose in this application. Maybe it does in other trailers, I don't know.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1610 Fresh Tank and Pan-800x600.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	384270  
WBCCI #8607
VAC Region 11

Old 12-04-2020, 11:57 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Senatobia , Mississippi
Sorry dolfindanish but I just now saw your reply. The actual tank size looks to be 44x56.

I believe the one you posted a link to would work but it would hang down an extra 1 or so to account for the extra metal runners we have going down the frame. One thing I'm not sure of is how those are supported. The one like we have has that support in the middle which i would not want to do without considering the weight of a full tank would be around 375 lbs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3291.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	384287   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3292.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	250.9 KB
ID:	384288  

Tags