Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-02-2008, 09:33 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Moscow , Idaho
Flame King Auto Switchover Regulator

Someone stole my automatic switchover regulator and hoses. Scum Bags!!

Anyway in my search for a replacement I ran across the Flame King brand automatic switchover regulator with the hoses attached. What I really liked about their setup is they use the new style (OPD) connections. No tools needed to change the tanks. YEAH!!!

Has anyone heard anything good, bad or what ever regarding this regulator setup?

Complete setup with hoses, cover and mounting screws less than $49 delivered to my door via Priority Mail.

Thanks

Cissell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 10:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Hoses look to short for a squarestream
Old 04-03-2008, 04:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
Gas change over

I can't comment on the dependability of the Flame King as we have never carried their products. It may work just fine. I think Flame King as been making grills for some time and doing a pretty good job.
This is the one we carry and have had very little if any problems with - Auto Change-over Gas Regulator.

We will send the self tapping screws that attach the regulator to the bracket. If you use screws that are not the right size and strip the holes that hold the regulator to the braket, it can be a real hassel.

We do have the hoses that WILL fit on this automatic switchover regulator and does not need any thread seal tape or dope. It is the flaired brass self-sealing type. The length will be more than adequate to interface from the regulator and the gas bottles. See Gas Hose w/Flair End.

There is no comparison between the "old brass and wrench" vs the "new hand tighten style". The new "new hand tighten style" is so much nicer that is is well worth the extra money you have to spend if you have to change/replace your automatic switchover regulator or change your valves.

If you go to states that require the new style OPD (Overfill Protection Device) and have Aluminum tanks you most likely will want to change your valves. I have heard of people going on outings and refused gas because they did not have the right valves. Buying new gas tanks on your outing can be expensive. See 30 lb OPD Valve for Aluminum bottles.
There is a differance between regular steel tank OPD valves and the
Aluminum OPD valves. The steel tank valves will not work in the Aluminum bottles.

The companies that do pressure checks on gas bottles have the tool to put the new valves into the bottles. More than likely, they do not have the valves that go into the Aluminum tanks.

New tanks have to be inspected every 12 years and old tanks with new OPD valves have to be inspected every 5 years. If you have steel tanks it is best buy them locally, but if you have Aluminum tanks it is worth the extra effort to get the new valves.
Dan@LED4RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:20 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
Does anyone know if these can be repaired or do they just get replaced when they conk out. The one that was installed at the factory as apparently assumed room temperature. When the switch is pointed at one tank and the other one is removed for re-filling, there is propane escaping from the hose without the tank while the other is in use - that shouldn't happen.
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:13 AM   #5
Dreaming in Wally's World

2007 27' Classic FB
Blanco , Texas
Dan - set me up with what I need, please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan@LED4RV View Post
I can't comment on the dependability of the Flame King as we have never carried their products. It may work just fine. I think Flame King as been making grills for some time and doing a pretty good job.
This is the one we carry and have had very little if any problems with - Auto Change-over Gas Regulator.

We will send the self tapping screws that attach the regulator to the bracket. If you use screws that are not the right size and strip the holes that hold the regulator to the braket, it can be a real hassel.

We do have the hoses that WILL fit on this automatic switchover regulator and does not need any thread seal tape or dope. It is the flaired brass self-sealing type. The length will be more than adequate to interface from the regulator and the gas bottles. See Gas Hose w/Flair End.

There is no comparison between the "old brass and wrench" vs the "new hand tighten style". The new "new hand tighten style" is so much nicer that is is well worth the extra money you have to spend if you have to change/replace your automatic switchover regulator or change your valves.

If you go to states that require the new style OPD (Overfill Protection Device) and have Aluminum tanks you most likely will want to change your valves. I have heard of people going on outings and refused gas because they did not have the right valves. Buying new gas tanks on your outing can be expensive. See 30 lb OPD Valve for Aluminum bottles.
There is a differance between regular steel tank OPD valves and the
Aluminum OPD valves. The steel tank valves will not work in the Aluminum bottles.

The companies that do pressure checks on gas bottles have the tool to put the new valves into the bottles. More than likely, they do not have the valves that go into the Aluminum tanks.

New tanks have to be inspected every 12 years and old tanks with new OPD valves have to be inspected every 5 years. If you have steel tanks it is best buy them locally, but if you have Aluminum tanks it is worth the extra effort to get the new valves.

HEY DAN!
I'm hoping you can fix me up with what all I need and I can buy from your store. I have a 2007 27' Classic FB and want to replace the gas regulator and hoses. (Currently leaking where hoses attach to the regulator). I want the most reliable and easiest to switch tanks - ie the latest and greatest. We have two aluminum 30# tanks with auto regulator. If you want to give me part numbers - I can go to your website and order what I need. I have been reading forums for over an hour and still confused. I'm ready to hand off to someone in the know.

Thanks!!
Cathy
Heritagechic is offline   Reply With Quote