Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2021, 08:57 PM   #1
New to RV world

2022 Interstate 24GT
Great Bend , Pennsylvania
First use of Interstate LP….smell gas…help please

I recently took delivery of a new 2022 Interstate 24GT. It was delivered from a FL dealer to us in TX, so no real pre-delivery inspection took place.

We’re new to RVs in general.

Today I fired up the LP for the first time to start breaking in the generator as per the manual. Before I started the generator, I lit both of the stove top burners and let them burn until the flame stopped flickering and then turned them off. This was for about 30 secs.

I wasn’t surprised to smell a little propane, but when I got out of the coach, I could smell it outside of the coach.

I let the air clear for about an hour and went back out and fired up the generator (possible a very stupid thing to do in retrospect). There was no further LP odor. I didn’t relight the stove burners or turn on the furnace.

We called the 24 tech support (coach-net), I explained the issue and he told me that I should not smell gas outside of the coach and needed to take it to the dealer.

We are supposed to be leaving tomorrow to travel from TX to PA after having sold our house here in TX, so we don’t have a lot of flexibility in timeline. Yes I know I should have checked this out when we first got it, but things with the move and sale of house got in the way.

We do not want to do anything unsafe, but I am wondering how worried I need to be about this and also if there is something easy for me to check on the LP lines.

I’m not much for crawling around underneath this thing, but could probably manage if it was to tighten a hose or a fitting. Anyone know the best place to look?

It seems the manual doesn’t include an LP gas layout, so short of crawling under it and following the gas lines, I’m not sure where to start.

Any help/ideas/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I also wondered if there could have been something related to the gas pressure release valve given it was the first time I’ve turned on any of the LP appliances and the swing in temps here today were pretty dramatic.

For those unfamiliar, the LPG tank on the Interstate is built in to the underside of the chassis (not removable).

Thanks in advance,
Kristin
GeoExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 05:23 AM   #2
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
When I was working on the axles of my trailer and had to pull down a gas line I bought one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's been amazingly helpful checking for leaks as I put things back together. You can dial in the sensitivity so it's right on the verge of sounding, then run the snorkel end around all the fittings. I found it much more helpful than the soapy water test, especially since it can sniff in areas where I wouldn't have been able to see bubbles.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 06:42 AM   #3
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Hi GeoExplorer,

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information, email and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at customersupport@airstream.com

Thank you.
Old 11-28-2021, 11:16 PM   #4
New to RV world

2022 Interstate 24GT
Great Bend , Pennsylvania
Thanks all,
I did buy a gas detector. When I fired everything up the next day, I had no issues with gas smell. I checked the connections and all was well. Not sure what caused it the first day, but no issues since.
GeoExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 06:40 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Moorestown , New Jersey
Good luck on your cross country travel to PA!
mdweaver is offline   Reply With Quote