Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2016, 04:44 PM   #1
TetonStreamer

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Delaplane , Virginia
External Gas Grill

I have a 2014 20' Bambi with an external gas port. I have tried two gas grills on the port and I cannot get enough flame to cook. I saw in a previous post that the solution is to remove the regulator on the gas grill since the gas from the external port is already regulated. There were no other posts.

So I ask is this the solution being used by others? To regulate the flame in this case one would use the valve at the connection point of the external port? Seems like poor engineering.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:05 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teton Stream View Post
So I ask is this the solution being used by others? To regulate the flame in this case one would use the valve at the connection point of the external port? Seems like poor engineering.
Not quite. You remove the regulator from the grill and replace it with a valve. That way you can adjust and/or shut off the flame at the grill without having to go back to the tank. But that still leaves a hose full of propane when you shut it off, so when you're ready to put away the grill at the end of the trip you still need to shut it off at the tank and let the propane trapped in the hose burn off at the grill until it's gone.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:17 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Middleton , Idaho
I believe there are grills that are made to attach to the regulated propane supply on an RV. Camping World may have them.

I have an older Weber, I think it is the Q100 or something similar. I used some fittings to remove the regulator, but still use the original control valve. When I did the project, I found quite a few on-line references, complete with part numbers, from people who had done this conversion on the Weber Q series. The fittings weren't cheap (especially the shipping), but I'm happy with the results. I set mine up with an extra quick connect so I can still use the original regulator with 1 lb bottles if needed.
Trailbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailbob View Post
I believe there are grills that are made to attach to the regulated propane supply on an RV. Camping World may have them.

I have an older Weber, I think it is the Q100 or something similar. I used some fittings to remove the regulator, but still use the original control valve. When I did the project, I found quite a few on-line references, complete with part numbers, from people who had done this conversion on the Weber Q series. The fittings weren't cheap (especially the shipping), but I'm happy with the results. I set mine up with an extra quick connect so I can still use the original regulator with 1 lb bottles if needed.
I have the O-500 grill and I use the AS propane port also with a 8' hose; it is a little low on the pressure, but works fine overall with this grill. I just keep the lid closed when bringing up to temperature and when cooking. I also got the O-Grill table (used) on Amazon for $25 which allows for set up next to trailer...I think a longer hose would require more pressure for sure.
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 03:41 PM   #5
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teton Stream View Post
I have a 2014 20' Bambi with an external gas port. I have tried two gas grills on the port and I cannot get enough flame to cook. I saw in a previous post that the solution is to remove the regulator on the gas grill since the gas from the external port is already regulated. There were no other posts.

It works great if you use a grill that is designed for it.

I have a magma grill with the optional valve designed specifically for this situation, and it works great.

http://www.magmaproducts.com/
Old 03-26-2016, 04:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
I have a similar question on gas grills.

I have a Weber Q1200 that I use on the 1 lb Coleman propane bottles. I believe the bottles have a 1"-20 male thread.

My 2016 FC 27' has a female quick disconnect and valve allowing an external gas connection. The coach came with a short hose with a male quick disconnect on one end and a female threaded (1/4"?) connection on the other.

I've been looking for an adapter for the hose.

Does this one look like what I need?

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-F273...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 06:19 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Charleston , South Carolina
Here is link to thread on Weber Q series conversion. Check post #7 for link to conversion kit. Worked perfect for me. Also added quick connect fittings to removed regulator do I can quick connect to 1lb propane.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124566
FollySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:04 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FollySteve View Post
Here is link to thread on Weber Q series conversion. Check post #7 for link to conversion kit. Worked perfect for me. Also added quick connect fittings to removed regulator do I can quick connect to 1lb propane.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124566
Great, thanks very much.

Rich
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:03 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
I was reading through my Owners Manual last evening regarding this subject. It says that I was supposed to receive an adapter in an extra parts box when I bought the trailer. I didn't receive an extra parts box, so, will need to contact the dealer for it.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:50 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
I went with the portable grill Sam's sells. It is stainless, has latches on the cover, has a cloth cover, draws less than the 25,000 BTUs airstream sets as the limit on the external LP port... And it's cheap. Here's the link: http://www.samsclub.com/sams/portabl...prod2500002.ip

To answer the OP's question, most gas grills have a regulator when they come out of the box. That regulator allows the grill to attach to its own (high pressure) LP cylinder. Since you are planning to attach to the trailer's (low pressure) LP port like I do, that regulator duplicates the role of the regulator(s) (or regulator and crossover valve) already on the trailer. You don't need the second one and as you observe it probably stops gas flow to the grill.

Your grill may differ, but on mine the regulator wad joined to the grill's hose by a threaded brass fitting. I suspect the hose end was a 1/4" male NPT fitting. As other posters have said, the trailer should have cone with a male fitting to plug into the female LP quick disconnect on the trailer. If you don't have that, no worries. That is an industry standard and the fittings are the MB Strugis model 250 1/4" low pressure type (Google that... You'll find plenty of parts). You may need a coupler to join the fitting to the hose end after the regulator comes off. Any big box home store or reasonable hardware store should have that.

When joining brass fittings for LP or other combustible gas, please use the yellow Teflon tape. It's double thickness and intended for gas. Also, connections should be checked for leaks once pressured by using a bubble liquid. Alternately, you may ask my wife to stand within 50' of the trailer. If she doesn't say "I smell gas" within 2 minutes, you're good to grill.

Finally, unless you want to grill on the ground right next to your trailer (or under your LP tanks... Yikes!)... Get an extension hose with quick disconnect fittings at each end. Here's a suitable Camco model as presented by Walmart: http://www.walmart.com/ip/29764621?w...670072&veh=sem

To Protag's point... venting the hose is of course a good practice. The valve on your trailer includes a shut off. In fact Sturgus 250 connectors can only be joined or unjointed when that shutoff is in the off position. Remember that when you plug in your grill you must then throw the lever on the valve before cooking. Turning it off and allowing the gas in the line to burn at the grill is a good way to vent it. Venting prevents occasional loss of eyebrows or the need to change pants just before serving steaks to your family.

I hope that helps.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:38 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Minneapolis , MN
Anyone use this Torjik Converta-Q? It looks like a great option for the Q1200.

augopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:58 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
Regulator Valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
It works great if you use a grill that is designed for it.

I have a magma grill with the optional valve designed specifically for this situation, and it works great.

http://www.magmaproducts.com/
So the Type 3 valve ?

http://www.magmaproducts.com/Valve_A...tion_Guide.pdf
SYC2Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:43 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Maplewood , Ohio
This one stumped me when we had our 2014 Eddie Bauer as well. I tried to use a few grills on the external port with no luck. In the end I found that the port was regulated and the grills had a regulator as well. Double regulators did not work. I was also not impressed with the short extension line that was included with the trailer. Living very close to the factory, I went there and asked it they could provide a longer hose. They could not. In the end we ended up using small 1 lb. bottles for our small grill. When we also added a larger grille to the mix I got a larger propane bottle to run that off of. Yeah, we have to haul an extra propane bottle around, but it is nice to be able to set up to grill wherever we want. We just got a 2019 33' Classic and can now carry 80 lbs. of propane. Due to this we have decided to to convert or 2 Honda 2000 generators to propane. We are not a fan of hauling gas around while we travel and we had to replace a carborator in one of the generators due to stale gas. I didn't see anywhere in the 2014 or 2018 literature of what the gas pressure is at the external port on the trailers. I wanted to know before hooking this up to the now try-fuel generators. Airstream tells me that the pressure is 11" w.c. which works for running both generators at once. For us, the regulated external port works best. Grill is run off separate unregulated portable bottle. Generators run off regulated port.
kjseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:16 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Fairhaven , Massachusetts
My 2019 22’ Sport came with a 5’ quick connect gas hose to hook up the gas grill to the external LP gas port. I was able to modify the gas connection on my Weber Q 1200 using parts purchased off the shelf from Home Depot. I removed the gas regulator first, connected a 1/4 mip x 1/8 mip hex bushing to the 1/4” threaded pipe where the gas regulator was attached, next attached 1/4 “ coupling, and then a 3/8 FL x 1/4 mip union. The hose attaches to the 3/8 FL end. I used the yellow Teflon gas tape on all the threaded connections, except the 3/8 FL end. The total for the parts was about $10. See attached pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E305A70A-6EC6-4976-89D0-46D7D87066F1.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	312.0 KB
ID:	346174   Click image for larger version

Name:	9E8EAD2E-0847-4358-B898-5CAA2661ADBC.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	217.9 KB
ID:	346175  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DF260ECB-43D9-46A3-A38C-FCDACBACF2B2.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	258.0 KB
ID:	346176   Click image for larger version

Name:	63B41EB7-D176-4574-A43A-D90C4D221D67.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	246.6 KB
ID:	346177  

davincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:33 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Low pressure ready Weber Q1200

Airstream now offers the Weber Q1200 already set up for plug and play into the low pressure gas port on our Airstreams! The Q1200 is just a deluxe version of the Q1000. I think the price is $269.00 and they also offer some Airstream specific accessory. Someone in Airstream marketing finally noticed the number of Airstream owners that use the Weber Q1000 and Q1200 grills. We have one of each and use them often.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote