Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2021, 05:49 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
Long Beach , Indiana
excessive humidity

Recently purchased '21 16' RB Caravel. When raining or just damp outside, but cold out, so don't want to run the A/C. If I turn on the furnace, humidity and condensation are excessive. I looked thru the documentation but don't see a way to dehumidify without cranking down the A/C. I set out several of those buckets with desiccant pellets...waste of money. Is there a way to dehumidify without running the A/C, or is a stand-alone dehumidifier the only option?
Old 05-09-2021, 06:24 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2020 19' Caravel
Ammon , Idaho
I have been looking into an Eva-Dry dehumidifier that can operate directly from DC power, though I have not made the purchase yet. Some other folks have reported good results with them.
Too often I have to wipe down windows and occasionally walls in the morning...
OutdoorIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 07:55 AM   #3
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
not familiar with the 16' AS, but we have found opening the bathroom vent can eliminate a lot of the moisture build up. We installed a rheostat switch on the exhaust fan in the bathroom and can run it a slower, less noisy speed and totally eliminate inside moisture, that can be a real issue when it's cold outside. Try opening your bathroom vent and see if that helps.
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 08:02 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Leander , Texas
We open up the windows every chance we get. Between cooking, showers and just breathing, humidity is always is a problem. And we will have higher humidity inside than out with it raining.

Of course, someone starts a campfire just then!

Sjohn
TexAirS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 08:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Yes, when you compare the amount of liquid collected by the desiccant pellets to a refrigerated dehumidifier, it’s easy to see why they are intended for small spaces only.
Are you spending a lot of time inside the trailer? Humans generate considerable moisture just by breathing.
If the outside air is full of moisture, venting through a window will bring in more of the same. Raising the temperature inside without adding moisture will drop the relative humidity inside. Since the furnace vents its combustion gases outside, running it should help. Are you generating moisture somehow?
I see the Eva-Dry uses silica beads that you regenerate regularly. It looks like the smaller units have capacities similar to the non regenerable calcium chloride packs. Home Depot sells a larger, self regenerating desiccant dehumidifier that many online reviewers like better for cool locations.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 09:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Run the furnace and open a window slightly and roof vent slightly (if the bathroom vent, more open). The warm air, moist from your breathing, etc., rises out the roof vent like a chimney and outside air comes in through the window. As GetawA-S says, the colder outside air will drop in relative humidity as it is heated by the furnace. Yes, you use more propane, but humidity remains under control.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 10:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
Vent fan control

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
not familiar with the 16' AS, but we have found opening the bathroom vent can eliminate a lot of the moisture build up. We installed a rheostat switch on the exhaust fan in the bathroom and can run it a slower, less noisy speed and totally eliminate inside moisture, that can be a real issue when it's cold outside. Try opening your bathroom vent and see if that helps.
rbs could you share some detail on the part/style of the rheostat used in this exhaust fan revision, and any helpful detail on how you modified the housing to accommodate the new switch ? I am very interested in doing something similar, if you have success in your approach I would like to leverage the method, and the parts used. Thanks !
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:34 AM   #8
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
here you go

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1StreamDream View Post
rbs could you share some detail on the part/style of the rheostat used in this exhaust fan revision, and any helpful detail on how you modified the housing to accommodate the new switch ? I am very interested in doing something similar, if you have success in your approach I would like to leverage the method, and the parts used. Thanks !
Search for "Ventline Bathroom Fan Speed Controller Mod". I think it will answer all your questions, but don't hesitate to ask if it doesn't.

some notes from memory and experience, Order two switches, they aren't expensive and I've had to replace mine. The switch will need a ground wire to it, not any problem to do, but I had assumed that it didn't, but it would not work without it. The handle is hard to remove totally, and you must remove the trim to get to the small phillips head screws that secure it. I was able to remove just one handle screw which allowed me access to the screws that secure the screen. I basically followed the advice of Isbrodsky to the letter, make sure to have something between the switch and bracket to prevent a short. It works great, we don't deal with the moisture issues when traveling in cold weather.

Best

Rod & Jane
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:58 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
Smithville , Tn
We use a Ivation 13p desiccant dehumidifier in our 16rb. We run it under the dinette when camping and on the sink counter using the drain hose when she’s stored. We keep track of the humidity and temps with a Bluetooth SensorPush. Solves all humidity problems here in the humid south. The dehumidifier itself can maintain sub40% when it’s 90% outside in the little Caravel. If the a/c is cycling all the better. Nice thing about this particular desiccant dehumidifier is it will keep the chill out of the air down to 45 degrees or so and also keep your a/c cycling to help get to your desired humidity.
Bhmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 03:46 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
North Augusta , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhmack View Post
We use a Ivation 13p desiccant dehumidifier in our 16rb. We run it under the dinette when camping and on the sink counter using the drain hose when she’s stored. We keep track of the humidity and temps with a Bluetooth SensorPush. Solves all humidity problems here in the humid south. The dehumidifier itself can maintain sub40% when it’s 90% outside in the little Caravel. If the a/c is cycling all the better. Nice thing about this particular desiccant dehumidifier is it will keep the chill out of the air down to 45 degrees or so and also keep your a/c cycling to help get to your desired humidity.

I have the exact same setup in my 27ft. I can’t say enough good things about the Ivation dehumidifier while traveling and stored. It’s a great option.
saraed is offline   Reply With Quote