Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-21-2018, 03:30 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Dometic Thermostat Instruction Manual?

I have a 2018 Flying Cloud 19'. I am still trying to figure out how the furnace works - besides just pushing buttons. Yes, I can get the furnace to come on but I don't understand the zones - there would be just one for such a small trailer. And the clock changes with the programing changes. There was absolutely no manual explaining how to use the thermostat - only an installation booklet. I don't know what "HP" means, what the modes are and how they work. Is there a manual that explains how to set the thermostat and how the mode, program, fan modules work?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thermostat.jpg
Views:	922
Size:	965.0 KB
ID:	325866  
tjwoods1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 03:40 PM   #2
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado

Hi. You only have one zone in a 19. Press the MODE button until you see FURN to run the propane furnace. Then set your desired temperature using the up/down arrows on the right. To see what the current interior temp is press the “INSIDE TEMP” button. The thermostat is in the controller itself.

HP is your heat pump. That is the air conditioner - the unit will run in reverse and produce heat vs cold air. So for heating the trailer you can choose to use the HP or FURN. HP typically only works down to about 45 degrees F, so for colder than that use your propane furnace.

Here is a link to the CCC2 manual:

https://cdn.dometic.com/assets/59/19...9.pdf?att=true
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 03:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio

As far as manuals go... google is your friend. Zones refer to ac/hp. Zone 1 front, zone 2 rear if you have a second unit. HP is heat pump. I find that is this weather auto is best. It will cycle though ac- hp - furnace by itself. Don’t mess with programming.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:34 PM   #4
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Scroll through Zones, they might not be in this order:

1. FURN--Propane Furnace
2. HP--Heat Pump...air conditioner in reverse like Wulf said. Saves propane if you are plugged in, but only down to 40 degrees F, give or take.
3. Auto--If plugged in to shore power, the AC will turn on if interior temp is above your selected set point. Or turn on Heat Pump if interior temp is below selected set point. And then switch to propane if temp gets too cold for Heat Pump to work. If not plugged in, Auto will just turn on propane furnace if temp is below selected set point.

That's really all there is to know. You have only one zone, and who cares what the clock says and who programs their thermostat like you might at home? (Some people say the clock has to be set to the correct time for things to work properly, which is hilarious to me. Your Thermostat could care less what day it is lol.)

Just select what mode you want when you want heat or AC, and call it good.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Honestly I don’t know why AS puts this type of Thermostat in when there is only 1 zone. I have two HPs and ACs and this type of thermostat makes sense. Which I really like. My suggestion is get the book, make a copy and tape it above the thermostat. Or make an instruction on your own like above. It seems more people have trouble understanding this thermostat; especially to start out with. As you use it a few times it gets easier.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:16 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Thanks so much. Really good information here - this forum is invaluable. I’d be lost without everyone’s experience and knowledge.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:53 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Wulfraat got you answered, but I agree with Daquenzer. We have the CCD on our 23D, but DO miss the manual furnace thermostat, and manual on-off switch and temp controls on our old 19' Bambi.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:20 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by banderabob View Post
Wulfraat got you answered, but I agree with Daquenzer. We have the CCD on our 23D, but DO miss the manual furnace thermostat, and manual on-off switch and temp controls on our old 19' Bambi.

Hey T, I also have a Quick Start manual in the trailer that I can copy scan if you're interested. I didn't see one on-line.

Just one comment re pushing buttons. On our maiden voyage the second night when I turned on the furnace it would fire both the gas furnace AND the AC. Well that wont work. After reading the manual and forums suggestions, I did a hard boot to factory specs. All was well after that. Seems the CCC2 has a bit of history re quirkiness .

When I got home and felt comfortable playing with it more, I believe what I had done was turned the HP fan to low from auto, then turned the unit off. Now when I use the HP I make sure I'm at fan auto when I turn it off.

b
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:21 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Victoria , British Columbia
A quirk with the operation programming of the heat pump is that if it cannot bring the temp up within a designated period of time, it will call for heat from the furnace. It can be confusing to hear the furnace run, even though it has not been selected on the thermostat.
Camr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:51 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Corpus Christi , Texas
Thermostat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwoods1 View Post
I have a 2018 Flying Cloud 19'. I am still trying to figure out how the furnace works - besides just pushing buttons. Yes, I can get the furnace to come on but I don't understand the zones - there would be just one for such a small trailer. And the clock changes with the programing changes. There was absolutely no manual explaining how to use the thermostat - only an installation booklet. I don't know what "HP" means, what the modes are and how they work. Is there a manual that explains how to set the thermostat and how the mode, program, fan modules work?
Yes, wouldn't it be a wonderful world if Airstream gave people the information they will need to operate their trailer. 😡
2fromtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:54 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Camr, thanks and good to know. In my instance the mode was furn but i also didn't give the HP much time to produce hot air, so stopped the cold flow. Sounds like a possible connection tho and something to remember when running the HP in colder westher. For me the cold boot got me back to furnace firing and HP off.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:55 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
Another quirk occurs when the fan in NOT in the automatic mode. If the fan setting is set to hi, med, or low, the heat pump will also come on when you select the furnace. If you just want the furnace, make sure the fan is set to automatic.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:13 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhendrix View Post
Another quirk occurs when the fan in NOT in the automatic mode. If the fan setting is set to hi, med, or low, the heat pump will also come on when you select the furnace. If you just want the furnace, make sure the fan is set to automatic.

Bingo, thanks for the confirmation!
Old 10-22-2018, 01:37 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2008 19' International
Kingsport , Tennessee
2008 19 ft Bambi international furnace question

I can’t seem to get my furnace to ignite. I have turn the reset switch to reset then off, then back on. Then I flip the very small “off” switch on my thermostat on the wall to the left which I assume turns it on. I then push the actual thermostat lever at the bottom of the thermostat all the way to the right which is the warmest setting. The blower kicks on and runs in the furnace below but can’t see that the gas is igniting to blow out warm air? Is there a significant delay igniting the gas? I do have a gas supply because my stove will ignite with no problem. But it seems my furnace isn’t getting gas. I just bought this AS this summer and just tried the furnace for the first time this week. Any ideas?
ImaTarHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 02:17 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Furnace not igniting? MY new 19 footer (2018 - bought in March) had the same problem. Turns out it needed a new controller board. Airstream’s warranty covers the OEM board but as soon as that warranty expires I am going to put in a Dino board.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:30 PM   #16
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by banderabob View Post

I had the original comfort control control in my 2008. The new one (CCC2) functions the same.

The mechanical on/off switch that used to be on the bottom of the unit is now located top left corner - push it and the system shuts off.

You can manually control the furnace, just hit mode until FURN and then select your temperature. Just like the old one. Done.

When the furnace is on you can also change the fan speed using the FAN button - High or low, just like the old one [emoji4]

I like the new unit better - it shows interior temp so helps you set the right target for heat or AC [emoji4]
Old 10-22-2018, 03:07 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
I had the original comfort control control in my 2008. The new one (CCC2) functions the same.

When the furnace is on you can also change the fan speed using the FAN button - High or low, just like the old one [emoji4]
Really? If I understand you correctly..Furnace... as in gas as opposed to HP in the heat mode. I thought the gas furnace settings were...on twice (upper left corner button, once to wake it & light the display, & again to turn it on if my memory serves me still), press mode until Furn appears, set the temp up/down and call it good.

I'll have to look for the fan option once the furnace fires. Never occurred to me that the gas furnace has fan speeds. Thought that was the domain of the HP.

b
Old 10-22-2018, 03:45 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Orange Beach , Alabama
A timely thread for me. We have a 2018 AS27-FB and went through learning about the thermostat/furnace operation as the temp. in Staunton, VA dropped to 30 last night. Ours worked flawlessly. My problem is that the thermostat is +/- 10 degrees off in operating the AC-HP-FURN. Has anyone else experienced this situation?
Trinity
robertwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 05:51 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
South Hero , Vermont
In my 2018 FC 30, the zone 2 sensor is behind the television in the “main” room. If the TV is on, the temp is all wrong. I keep a little computer type fan aimed at it to keep the air flowing.
It’s not perfect, but it’s better than guessing. When the TV is off, it’s not as bad.
Just learn how to compensate.
Zone 1 on mine is the bedroom,and the temp seems closer to the real data.
sb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:28 PM   #20
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
Really? If I understand you correctly..Furnace... as in gas as opposed to HP in the heat mode. I thought the gas furnace settings were...on twice (upper left corner button, once to wake it & light the display, & again to turn it on if my memory serves me still), press mode until Furn appears, set the temp up/down and call it good.

I'll have to look for the fan option once the furnace fires. Never occurred to me that the gas furnace has fan speeds. Thought that was the domain of the HP.

b

Sorry you are correct HP / AC have fan speeds, or the furnace my bad.