Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-09-2010, 12:08 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
I agree with the rear bumper for storage.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:41 PM   #22
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
as long as your regulator is functioning properly.
They have an overpressure vent built into them. Accidents from overpressure due to regulator failure are all but unheard of.

Quote:
So are you saying that less than a quart (liquid) that exits through a leaky valve is more dangerous than 15+ gallons (liquid) that leak through a regulator?
Yes, because the likelihood of a rapid enough leak to pose a serious safety hazard is much higher due to the higher pressure and the presence of the propane in liquid form. The relatively small size of the disposable cylinders is a safety feature but there's still enough propane to lead to a serious fire or explosion.

Quote:
If explosion (BLEVE) is the concern, the fact that the propane bottles are on the other side of a few aluminum sheets is irrelevant.
[/quote]

BLEVEs are rare and nearly always involve larger tanks. In a fire, with a 40# tank usually the propane will boil away and vent through the relief valve before the tank is hot enough to lose its strength. Instead, the hazard we're talking about here is leakage and accumulation of propane vapor indoors. If the 40# tanks on the a frame leak, so what, it's outside, and the risk is minor.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:55 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
It might be worthwhile for you to know that liquid propane expands by 270 times when it vaporizes. A quart of liquid propane makes a lot of propane vapor.

Lynn
Old 09-09-2010, 01:33 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Target sells new cylinders for a few bucks.

There are three problems with refilling disposables:
1) It requires a considerable amount of fiddling around for the money saved.
2) There is the possibility of overfilling the cylinder, which could cause the relief valve to open when the temperature increases, leading to an extremely dangerous condition.
3) The valve and seal will develop leaks over time, in part because of dirt, rust, scale, and other crap that tends to end up mixed in with the liquid propane when you invert the 20 pound cylinder you use as a source.
Certainly sounds as though its not worth taking a chance,

I just use a 20# bottle and hose to run our BBQ when we are camping and I carry the bottle in the back of the pickup.

I only carry a couple of the disposables to run two very small mantle lanterns that we use once in a blue moon if we have no electricity and I am concerned about the trailer batteries.

Come to think of it, I guess that isn't even an excuse to carry them now, as I just bought one of those nifty little Honda EU2000i gennies!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:15 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
2) There is the possibility of overfilling the cylinder, which could cause the relief valve to open when the temperature increases, leading to an extremely dangerous condition.
This is a good part of why it's illegal for commercial fillers to refill these things (at least here in NM, though I suspect everywhere).

Lynn
Old 09-16-2010, 10:42 PM   #26
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
the nice part of having the refill adaptor is that in the boondocks when you can not get a new cyl, you can fill up your empty right then and there. it's easy as pie

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:08 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
The Woodlands , Texas
May want to re think propane storage.....

Thought I'd share this in the interest of saving someone a serious loss down the road.

For the last couple of years I've been lighting my charcoal grill with a torch that uses the disposable cylinders that are the focus of this thread. After lighting the grill one night last week I went back into the house to finish preparing the meat for the grill. When I returned to the patio 5 minutes later, I found the deck area next to the grill engulfed in flames!

After extinguishing the fire I tried to understand how the fire started and why it was so large. This was especially odd since the grill lid was closed as soon as it was lit. In sifting through the remains of the melted deck box that sat next to the grill, I found the torch still hissing away and leaking gas. After removing the torch head I found that the internal plastic valve ring on the tank was deformed big time (see photo). I'm guessing that the valve deformed over time due to the heat of the torch and began to leak where it was seated against the tank valve. The leaking gas ignited from a sparking charcoal ember and we were off to the races.

At the end of the day I'm out a section of my pergola, one resin wicker deck box, and several grilling tools (photo 2). No one was hurt and my house did not burn down, so I consider myself lucky. I had encountered one leaky valve on a cylinder like this while back, but did not consider it much of a risk since that leak only happened after I had detached the appliance it was fueling. I'll also add that none of these cylinders were ever refilled.

Needless to say, you cannot be too careful using and storing these tanks. Good Luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank Valve.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	143669   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-22.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	243.9 KB
ID:	143671  

Hansom-Man is offline   Reply With Quote